What's this phenomena called?

A potpourri of off-topics.

What's this phenomena called?

Postby WhatThe » Jul 5th, 2009, 1:17 pm

This morning when I got out of bed the sky was crystal clear, blue and beautiful. When I went outside again around noon, the sky is grey. Overcast is not the word I would use as the clouds aren't typical formations. It's muggy and it's as if someone "coloured" the sky grey. Does anyone know the name and cause of this weather phenominon? It seems common in the okanagan.

If someone says "chemtrails" I'll find you and beat you with a stick. LOL :smt075 :smt075
WhatThe

Liked in: 12 posts

Re: What's this phenomina called?

Postby MADGE » Jul 5th, 2009, 1:29 pm

WhatThe wrote:This morning when I got out of bed the sky was crystal clear, blue and beautiful. When I went outside again around noon, the sky is grey. Overcast is not the word I would use as the clouds aren't typical formations. It's muggy and it's as if someone "coloured" the sky grey. Does anyone know the name and cause of this weather phenominon? It seems common in the okanagan.

If someone says "chemtrails" I'll find you and beat you with a stick. LOL :smt075 :smt075

It is called smoke, and I am trying to find out where it is coming from. I remember the 2003 fires and when I went out on my balcony I could smell wood burning and the sky was smoggie.
MADGE
Fledgling

Liked in: 0 post

Postby I Think » Jul 5th, 2009, 1:39 pm

Yeah, who is the twerp that started this chemtrails stuff.
Was at a party recently and this woman kept going on about chemtrails. Talk about looney tunes, did it start with the experiments to seed clouds with silver iodide to encourage rain?
Problem with being stupid is, you don't know you're stupid
I Think
Guru

Liked in: 868 posts

Postby WhatThe » Jul 5th, 2009, 2:11 pm

Ya. I had to add that caveat cause I knew someone would say they were chemtrails. I really don't think it's smoke. As I said morning was beautiful and clear and afternoon turns grey. Pretty sure it's weather
WhatThe

Postby Nebula » Jul 5th, 2009, 2:21 pm

I'm not sure what it's called. Perhaps Okanagancloudyitis?

Nibs, that must have been an interesting party. Someone has put up some posters around downtown Peachland, warning people about chemtrails. It's funny and sad at the same time.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 125 posts

Postby Born_again » Jul 5th, 2009, 2:44 pm

I'm only guessing, but it looks like bog-standard stratus to me. My guess is that there is a cold air mass sitting low over this region.
Born_again
Guru

Liked in: 2 posts

Postby Spectre » Jul 5th, 2009, 3:14 pm

You are right Born Again. This weather is a push of warm air from the Pacific, held down by a cold front, which increases atmospheric moisture and acts as a catalyst for thunderstorms. The air is reaching saturation point therefore looks like a blanket of grey. Now sure on the name though. Hopefully the lightening strikes do not ignite anything.
Spectre
Fledgling

Postby Mr. Personality » Jul 5th, 2009, 3:20 pm

It's totally chemtrails guys.
Mr. Personality
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Piecemaker » Jul 5th, 2009, 3:28 pm

Actually it's a chemblanket. It alters the UV rays and creates atmospheric chemical mutations that cause, among other things, people to post balderdash on forums!
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 1883 posts

Re: What's this phenomena called?

Postby WhatThe » Jul 5th, 2009, 3:32 pm

Indeed..... And indeed, I checked the weather and we are expecting rain and lightning. Thanks for the answers I'll have to google that , I've always wondered why that happens here inthe okanagan summer and winter
WhatThe

Postby Born_again » Jul 5th, 2009, 3:53 pm

Spectre wrote:The air is reaching saturation point therefore looks like a blanket of grey. Now sure on the name though. Hopefully the lightening strikes do not ignite anything.

My understanding is that if the base of the cloud is low and flat(ish), and covers the whole sky then it's called stratum. Stratum is basically airborne fog, caused by the mixing of layers of cool and warm air. You are right about the saturation point.
Stratum does not normally yield electrical activity, but the predicted lightning may well be on the way as you will have noticed that the stratum has now lifted, indicating that warmer dry air is in fact advancing.
Born_again
Guru

Liked in: 2 posts

Postby Nebula » Jul 5th, 2009, 3:57 pm

I know that the Okanagan is susceptible to temperature inversions, which tends to keep the heat in the valley and keep smoke and smog down low. I wonder if inversions also help to keep the grey clouds hovering just above the mountains also.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 125 posts

Postby Lady tehMa » Jul 6th, 2009, 6:57 am

I've always called it "high overcast", 'cause it's high enough you can't see any distinct cloud formations. My Dad always mentioned an "inversion layer" when talking about the valley.

I have no training in the weather arts (can't really call it a science) at all. :smt102
PLEASE use spellcheck. If that is too hard, consider installing the Grammarly (free!) app that will not only spellcheck for you (AND offer corrections!) but also make sure that your sentences are grammatically correct.

You're welcome.
Lady tehMa
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 4591 posts

Postby Donna Schergevitch » Jul 6th, 2009, 8:34 am

I've been told that becasue its so hot you can actually see the water evaporating from the lake
Donna Schergevitch

Postby I Think » Jul 6th, 2009, 9:25 am

So it is nothing cirrus?
Problem with being stupid is, you don't know you're stupid
I Think
Guru

Liked in: 868 posts

Next

Return to Grab Bag