People throwing cigarette butts on the ground! GRRRRRR!!

A potpourri of off-topics.
anniecat
Übergod

People throwing cigarette butts on the ground! GRRRRRR!!

Post by anniecat »

So, I'm sitting in the line-up at the car wash today and watch the guy immediately in front of me spend about 20 minutes fastidiously cleaning all of the garbage out of his car. He made about 6 trips walking back and forth to the garbage can.

When he was all finished, he sat in his car, rolled down his window and had a well-earned cigarette. Then he flicked his but on the ground!!! Why didn't he make one more trip to the garbage can......SINCE IT'S GARBAGE.....and why do I continually see smokers thinking it's okay for them to litter!!

I'm trying to figure out the logic behind this....help me!!

Do they think they're biodegradeable and so it doesn't matter? Or are they just lazy? Are these the same people who throw their McDonald's bags on the ground or is that different? Do they do this when they're smoking in their own backyards or even in their homes?...... or do they take the time to discard of their litter properly when they're on their own property?

There's the whole thing of the fire hazard in the summer when people do this but IT'S STILL NOT OKAY IN THE WINTER!! IT'S GARBAGE, IT'S DISGUSTING!!
Today was good. Today was fun. Tomorrow is another one.
- Dr. Seus -
logicalview
Guru

Re: People throwing cigarette butts on the ground! GRRRRRR!

Post by logicalview »

- An estimated 4.5 trillion cigarette butts are littered worldwide every year (Cigarette Litter Organisation 2001)

4,500,000,000,000 cigarrette butts x 3/4" long each = 3,375,000,000,000 inches = 281,250,000,000 feet = 53,267,045 miles or if you place them end to end they would wrap around the earth 2,139 times.

Not afraid to say "It".
DANSPEED
Übergod

Post by DANSPEED »

They don't think that's the problem! They must be the same people who toss there couch and other unwanted items out at night on some rural road.

"Where you going honey? Out for some smokes. Why not get rid of that couch while your out ... Good idea."

I HATE THESE PEOPLE!
logicalview
Guru

Post by logicalview »

After inhaling hundreds of chemicals that are capable of inducing cancer one would think that smokers could dispose of their waste properly - after all "it wouldn't kill them".
Not afraid to say "It".
Belle Rose

Post by Belle Rose »

:nyah:
Last edited by Belle Rose on Feb 29th, 2008, 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CountryAtHeart
Lord of the Board

Post by CountryAtHeart »

I hate it too.
If I smoke in the car, I always have a bottle with water in it and a lid that I take with me. Then I don't have the butts in the ashtray, and they are not going out the window.
SuperMom
Board Meister

Post by SuperMom »

I once saw someone empty their entire ashtray onto the ground in a parking lot.
CoffeeCanuck
Lord of the Board

Post by CoffeeCanuck »

Smoking is on a downward spiral. :smt023 Smokers are not allowed to smoke inside any public area's, legislation is comming to ban smoking in cars while kids are inside, then it will be inside homes and before you know it, voila, smoking will have been banned altogether.

My only hope is that I live long enough to see it come to fruition.

~D :123:
Saxon

Post by Saxon »

I used to smoke 20/40 per day then just quit... i think i just honestly lost interest in it... I can still smoke and sometimes do If I am stressed but it's very rare.... maybe 1 or 2 smokes a year or less..it is true though, butts are litter and I will admit my guilt, I have thrown them in the past :smt090
anniecat
Übergod

Post by anniecat »

Thanks for being so honest Saxon.......I'm sure part of the butt-flicking on the ground is just as much of a habit as the smoking itself. BUT THAT DOESN'T MAKE IT RIGHT!!!

I just wish they would realize how disgusting it is to be littering so much. I'd love to know what actually happens to all of those cigarette butts that end up down the drain and in our ecosystem.
Today was good. Today was fun. Tomorrow is another one.
- Dr. Seus -
Saxon

Post by Saxon »

I fear what happens to all those butts is they just clog things up as im almost certain they are infact a type of plastic of course the remaining paper and tobacco is not an issue its the filter itself

Return to “Grab Bag”