Looking for tips from a handyperson

A potpourri of off-topics.
broadspectrum

Looking for tips from a handyperson

Post by broadspectrum »

Wasn't sure where to post this question. I have a single pine frame bed which is in nice shape but the slats are breaking one by one. What could I use to replace the slats? I don't want to go out and get a new bed when the frame itself is solid. I would love to hear any ideas. Thanks.
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

A solid piece of plywood? Guess it depends upon how heavy the individual is who sleeps in the bed...
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

You can go to a hardware store like Rona and have some pine cut to length. It cost me about $10 to do a queen-sized bed.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Saxon

Post by Saxon »

I would go with the solid ply myself.... if you cant get it in one full piece then use sections a foot thick or something... but get the good thick stuff... :smt023
trapp
Übergod

Post by trapp »

Saxon wrote:I would go with the solid ply myself.... if you cant get it in one full piece then use sections a foot thick or something... but get the good thick stuff... :smt023

Plywood a foot thick ? Maybe you meant a foot wide ?
"It's what you learn after you know it all that really counts."
Scynite
Board Meister

Post by Scynite »

If you are talking slats to support the mattress, you can use pine woodlengths of 1 x 4". They are very commonly used as slats. and could easily be cut to length for you at the store.

And they're light and easy to move around, more so then big 8x4' pieces of plywood.
Don't get so mad, it's just my opinion.
broadspectrum

Post by broadspectrum »

I think I would need some pretty thick plywood to support my child (she jumps on the bed) but the pine boards sound like a good plan. Should I nail them in place or just try to cut them so they fit snugly?
Thanks for all the suggestions!
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Dread Pirate Roberts wrote:I think I would need some pretty thick plywood to support my child (she jumps on the bed) but the pine boards sound like a good plan. Should I nail them in place or just try to cut them so they fit snugly?

Like Scynite said, they'll cut them to length at the store, so I would have them cut tightly also. I noticed too that they shift, so get little pieces as spacers to put between them. The 1x4 may be strong enough, but you don't have to go with pine, there may be something harder. What size is this bed? Twin?
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

Dread Pirate Roberts wrote:I think I would need some pretty thick plywood to support my child (she jumps on the bed) but the pine boards sound like a good plan. Should I nail them in place or just try to cut them so they fit snugly?

Put the bed on the floor! Camping theme for the room. (Just kidding.)

Plywood will support jumping just as well as slats. Another option is to put a couple centre supports under the bed. (Or take her to gymnastics so she can jump there...)
Since kids love to jump on furniture, I bought a mini-tramp (exercise bouncer thingy) for $40 and the grand-daughter bounces on that to her heart's content. No matter how big she gets in the next several years, she can continue to use it.
Last edited by Piecemaker on Feb 17th, 2008, 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
Saxon

Post by Saxon »

foot or so wide yes sorry lol :smt023

Return to “Grab Bag”