What do you think of Rutland?

A potpourri of off-topics.

Do you see Rutland as a nice place to live?

Absolutely
40%
No Way
20%
Yes, but only certain area's
40%

Total votes: 40

CoffeeCanuck
Lord of the Board

What do you think of Rutland?

Post by CoffeeCanuck »

I, like many others, have made Rutland my home. Having lived there for 35 years, I am well aware of the stigma of being a Rutlander. I think it's a good idea to openly talk about our views on Rutland, either living in it or not, and just maybe a little bit of the stigma and negative association will disappear.

I was very proud to call Rutland my home for so many years. Even way back when it was much smaller, it had a real community feel with an awfully lot of down to earth nice people. Sure there is Hein Road, but big deal, it's one street which is in the process of being cleaned up and revitalized. I've heard it said the name Rutland should be changed to get rid of the stigma and I vehemently disagree. It was named after John Rutland who laid out the very first irrigation system in the area, so it would be an incredible dishonour to even think of renaming Rutland. My understanding is the area of Rutland has long ago been looked down upon since the days of horse and buggy. Rutland at that time was considered a rural area with mostly farming families, so the 'city folk' who lived in the downtown core regarded themselves in a much higher fashion. Much like the snobbery of some city folk in the old TV show, Little House on the Prairie looking, down on the farming folk.

So lets hear it, what is your opinion of Rutland and why?

~D
Bubalouie
Guru

Re: What do you think of Rutland?

Post by Bubalouie »

Good idea CC..............and I'm sure you are well aware what I think of Rutland. It is a nice place to live and there is a lot of development happening. Yes, the Hein road area is a bit of an eyesore but it is slowly but surely being cleaned up.
I would not like to see the name changed either as there is so much history there. However, I would like some people to change their "attitude" towards Rutland. I think that most people that live there feel that way as well and I'm also betting that most people who own their houses there are not as deep in the hole as some of the more "well to do" so called areas of town.
tawnylee
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by tawnylee »

I voted "in some areas"

I live in rutland (although some call it "springvalley") and have for years. I actually lived on Houghton 5 years ago. Not way up Houghton, but right across the street from Hein. That was bad, we got our vehicles broken into 3 times in the year we were there, had somebody leave a stolen car in front of our house, heard fights all the time, saw kids being neglected, etc, etc.
There's a couple areas in Rutland that I wouldn't want to live in as they just look yucky, and I really wouldn't care how nice the people are that live there. I like it when people take pride in where they live. I just had my lawnmower break and couldn't get the part for almost 2 weeks and I felt like the worst neighbor ever, lol, the grass was insane!!
You're going to see crap happen wherever you live in Kelowna. I've been to my cousins in Glenmore and have seen drug deals at an elementary school, break ins, etc. I've been downtown and saw the same happenings.
If you only look for the negative, that's what you're going to see. Try to look out more for the positive, and you'd be amazed at how kind people are.
“When you get into a tight place and everything goes against you, till it seems as though you could not hold on a minute longer, never give up then, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn.”
~Harriet Beecher Stowe
CoffeeCanuck
Lord of the Board

Post by CoffeeCanuck »

I think what I was getting at with this thread and poll is to talk about the overall stigma people have of Rutland. I think it's a given that the majority of law abiding, working residents in Rutland would not want to live on Hein Rd. It's being cleaned up and revitalized, so just maybe one day soon, Hein Rd will no longer be an issue. What are the perceptions and misconceptions people have about Rutland? Here are a few I believe some people have.

1. Low income
2. High crime
3. Drug den of Kelowna
4. Blue collar workers only
5. Poor schools
6. Every vehicle with a loud muffler and drug lord hails from Rutland (for you struts :lol:)

~D
tawnylee
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by tawnylee »

Sorry for being a little off topic...

Ok, to address the points that you brought up:

1)There are many low income families in rutland, but why is that a bad thing? Not every house in rutland is a rental, so there's obviously a few people who can afford to own their own house there.

2) Crime: I wouldn't think there's anymore than there is downtown!! I work at Future Shop, and we do insurance claims there. I would say about 60% of the claims are for people that live downtown. The rest are spread out through the city. I would be way more afraid of getting the crap kicked out of me, my house broken into, etc, downtown than I would be in rutland.

3) Yes, there's lots of drugs. Again, worse than downtown? I think not. That's just my opinion though.

4) Blue collar workers: Again, why is this a bad thing? There's got to be some of them out there or who would fix your car, your roof, who would serve you at the drive through?? And lately, there are alot more professionals living in rutland (I know of a handful in the last year-if you consider leathead rutland still...do we?) because housing prices are a wee bit cheaper here.

5) Ok, I don't know about the schools now, but I went to South Rutland grades 1-4, and LOVED it there. That was one of my fave schools besides Black Mountain. My daughter is going to be starting Kindergarten in Sept and going to Springvalley...I'm not too concerned. A school is a school is a school. I send her so she can learn the basics, I don't mind doing the extra stuff on my own.

6) Well, mine fell off the other day on my van but I got it fixed within minutes lol.
“When you get into a tight place and everything goes against you, till it seems as though you could not hold on a minute longer, never give up then, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn.”
~Harriet Beecher Stowe
CoffeeCanuck
Lord of the Board

Post by CoffeeCanuck »

You weren't off topic tl and the points I brought up are not mine, but rather ones I've heard talked about when people are slamming Rutland. I'm curious as to why there has not been much discussion on this thread. Maybe there are not as many people as I thought who hate Rutland and would never live there. :-k

~D
Last edited by CoffeeCanuck on Jun 19th, 2008, 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bubalouie
Guru

Post by Bubalouie »

I'm surprised to CC, I expected when I logged on this am to find pages to read.........
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

I lived in the Springvally & Rutland area for 20+ years. It has a mix of everything. It has less drug problems than downtown or the Westside. The schools in Rutland are not any worse than any others. In fact, Rutland Senior is one of the best, if not the best, high school in Kelowna/Westside.
The tone of the school set by the staff. Rutland has some well-run schools, as do some other areas of the community.
(BTW, Tawnylee - Springvalley Elementary has been a school that I have interacted with professionally in my work with children, and it has a very committed and child-centred staff. Or at least it did a year ago!)

All areas of town have their "problem" areas. You are only immune from neighbourhood issues until one of your neighbours sells to an unreasonable buyer. There are crack houses, party houses, overcroweded rentals and grow ops and meth labs to be found ANYWHERE in Kelowna/Westside.

Perhaps the one thing that stands out about Rutland is that it doesn't have it's nose up in the air thinking it is better than the rest of the community.
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
CoffeeCanuck
Lord of the Board

Post by CoffeeCanuck »

Piecemaker wrote:Perhaps the one thing that stands out about Rutland is that it doesn't have it's nose up in the air thinking it is better than the rest of the community.

:smt023 Yup, and that is one of the wonderful qualities of living in Rutland. It really is a down to earth community.

~D
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

when we first moved here all I heard was how awful Rutland was... I even thought perhaps the name should be changed ( long time residents of Kelowna and those born here referred to it as "The Rut", or worse yet, Slutland. ) According to many all criminals, crack heads, single teen parents, the list goes on and on. I was kinda nervous the first time I ventured there, expecting some huge Inner City.. where I'd be mugged faster than Joe in Joe's apartment.
I like Rutland, and I feel badly when ppl apologize for living there, you've all heard it " we are just starting out and it is all we could afford" etc.
A name change might be helpful ( I understand why ppl don't want to do that) like North Kelowna.
Don't live there but shop at the Meat market, bakery, like the Dry Cleaners ( cheapest I've found so far) and do wish ppl wouldn't bad mouth it so much.
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
hellomynameis
Lord of the Board

Post by hellomynameis »

I know a drug dealer who used to live in Rutland, he didn't own a car though. Come to think of it he was casting glances at mine, probaply figuring if it was worth the effort to steal it.

No I Love RuTlAnd! So long as there is a Burger Baron in Rutland I shall adore the place.

hey in high school we had all kinds of cool names for Rutland but its best not to get into that.
"Books tap the wisdom of our species -- the greatest minds, the best teachers -- from all over the world and from all our history. And they're patient."
- Carl Sagan
CoffeeCanuck
Lord of the Board

Post by CoffeeCanuck »

Hellomynameis wrote:hey in high school we had all kinds of cool names for Rutland but its best not to get into that.

Especially if you went to KSS or OKM. :dyinglaughing:

~D
harvgar
Board Meister

Post by harvgar »

I used to live in Rutland (on Husch Road) and it was called "the peanut butter plateau, for all the working people and families. I LOVED it there. It is close to everything and family oriented. You knew your neighbours and could walk to the grocery store. My kids attended South Rutland Elementary and Belgo Elementary (great schools) Springvalley and R.S.S. (great schools, too!) People don't like the name "Rut"land, like it is some kind of stigma. I'd buy a house there anytime. Yeah, the Rutland (Surrey) jokes go around, but, whatever....... It is a great part of town!!!!

So there!!! :cheerleader:
Struts 'N' Stuff Auto
Lord of the Board

Post by Struts 'N' Stuff Auto »

Rutland if fine if you like barking dogs, every different kind of freak, druggies and dealers, loud vehicles, speeding residential traffic, inconsiderate people, punk *bleep* kids and nutcases!

Otherwise, one might hate it!
CoffeeCanuck
Lord of the Board

Post by CoffeeCanuck »

............and struts is back. :dyinglaughing:

~D

Return to “Grab Bag”