Siberian Elms: very destructive, need to be banned

A potpourri of off-topics.

Siberian Elms: very destructive, need to be banned

Postby Queen K » Nov 3rd, 2009, 1:38 pm

Do you have a Chinese Elm tree growing in a back ally near you? You know the one, it gives off millions of flatish white seeds every year which oblige their genetic calling by taking root by the hundreds, if not thousands. You pull them up year after year, and oops, if you miss one new seedling one year, next year it is tougher to get rid of.

You see, the City of Kelowna considers these trees to be noxious pest trees. The seeds are opportunists at every level and wreak havoc on the City's boulavards, streets, sewers, culverts, ally ways and anywhere else the pest seeds can take root, which are many. Not to mention your property and the property of your neighbours.

Chinese Elm trees are tough, but their roots systems are even tougher. One long tap roots has layer upon layer of roots fanning out for what seems like miles. If you think you have one layer defeated another three or five layers are directly underneath. Getting rid of a Chinese Elm hedge was hell for me personally, had to bring in a CAT to dig it all out. Even the stump grinders missed alot.

The upshot of it all is that the City will charge you half of the cost of getting rid of a Chinese Elm if the tree is anywhere remotely on your property, but if the noxious tree is on City property, they may concede to remove it at their cost. And that may save YOU alot of work getting rid of seedlings.

PM me for info on who to call if interested.
Last edited by Queen K on May 19th, 2018, 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Could it be that a whole life can shift the day one starts telling the truth about what makes one happy?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 13481 posts

Re: Chinese Elm trees (Or Siberian Elms)

Postby gardengirl » Nov 3rd, 2009, 1:48 pm

Can I call to have my neighbour's tree removed?
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 625 posts

Postby Bubalouie » Nov 3rd, 2009, 2:14 pm

My neighbor's too please.
Bubalouie
Guru

Liked in: 432 posts

Postby Lady tehMa » Nov 3rd, 2009, 2:16 pm

I second that question! My back door neighbour actually planted one of those, right beside our fence :7500:
PLEASE use spellcheck. If that is too hard, consider installing the Grammarly (free!) app that will not only spellcheck for you (AND offer corrections!) but also make sure that your sentences are grammatically correct.

You're welcome.
Lady tehMa
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 4012 posts

Postby goalie » Nov 3rd, 2009, 3:06 pm

they must be deported to the gulags with immediate effect
goalie
Übergod

Liked in: 255 posts

Postby Nebula » Nov 3rd, 2009, 3:53 pm

We have two Chinese elms in the front yard. The trunks are about four feet or so in diameter. The trees stand about 50 feet high and the crowns are, well, big. Talk about discs. Thank goodness for leaf blowers.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 125 posts

Postby averagejoe » Nov 3rd, 2009, 4:18 pm

Chinese Elms are just a bad weed! When I moved into my house back in 2000. My nieghbour asked me to cut them down. I said no. I know now what he meant. I have about 10 of them. Their seeds grow everywhere...They grow about 20 feet a year.
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.
averagejoe
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 2363 posts

Postby Cumungala » Nov 3rd, 2009, 4:49 pm

Ugh, these trees are even more invasive than the Tree of Heaven. There were two of these trees behind our shed at my old house that were about as round as baseball bats. I choped them down, hacked away at the stumps, dug up some roots and damaged them, dumped weed killer on them, and rapped them in tinfoil and left them for 2 months. When I took the foil off they did not grow back. On the side of our old house, (which is actually city property because it paralells our a road),there was a fair sized one that leaned over our yard. We had two big maples there too so i didnt even know about the elm until last year. Its AWESOME to see that the city is FINALLY doing something about these beasts. Even here in Castlegar, these trees have taken over. These trees are apparentaly REALLY bad in Trail.

Death to the Chinese Elm!!!... and Ailanthus!!!! :hangman: :vampire: :smt070 :smt117
Cumungala
Übergod

Liked in: 23 posts

Postby Queen K » Nov 3rd, 2009, 5:07 pm

gardengirl wrote:Can I call to have my neighbour's tree removed?

Isn't it ironic that a tree even labelled by the City of Kelowna as a noxious pest weed will not be removed by them if it is completely on private property?

The property owner has to bear the brunt of the cost, even though the benefits to the City are huge. I'm "lucky" that half of the tree is on City Property, and that the only reason they know about it is because I spoke up and said something at a neighbourhood planning meeting. Mostly in the context that it will do the owners of Northwood a great favour by getting rid of it because otherwise they would be battling the seedlings like I am. Even today I pulled out seedlings.
Could it be that a whole life can shift the day one starts telling the truth about what makes one happy?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Postby Queen K » Nov 3rd, 2009, 6:05 pm

averagejoe wrote:Chinese Elms are just a bad weed! When I moved into my house back in 2000. My nieghbour asked me to cut them down. I said no. I know now what he meant. I have about 10 of them. Their seeds grow everywhere...They grow about 20 feet a year.

You have 10 of them? That's because the young sapling is extremely difficult to spot, it literally is nearly invisible until it's too late.

After year two their roots are incredibly strong and resilent to attempts to kill them off. The City of Kelowna arborists know this, and yet lay the full cost on the owner to get rid of a Chinese Elm, creating an enertia about the process. Of course the longer one waits, the more expensive and difficult the operation.

I had a naive idea about my Chinese Elm hedge. Dad cut it down to one foot off the ground and I thought I'd keep it pruned back and eventually it will die out. NO NO NO. The shoots it sent off grew incredibly fast and thick. Very difficult to control

Which begs the question: If the City knows that these trees give off so many seeds, then why not help more owners get rid of the tree?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Postby gardengirl » Nov 3rd, 2009, 6:07 pm

Queen K wrote:
averagejoe wrote:Chinese Elms are just a bad weed! When I moved into my house back in 2000. My nieghbour asked me to cut them down. I said no. I know now what he meant. I have about 10 of them. Their seeds grow everywhere...They grow about 20 feet a year.

You have 10 of them? That's because the young sapling is extremely difficult to spot, it literally is nearly invisible until it's too late.

After year two their roots are incredibly strong and resilent to attempts to kill them off. The City of Kelowna arborists know this, and yet lay the full cost on the owner to get rid of a Chinese Elm, creating an enertia about the process. Of course the longer one waits, the more expensive and difficult the operation.

I had a naive idea about my Chinese Elm hedge. Dad cut it down to one foot off the ground and I thought I'd keep it pruned back and eventually it will die out. NO NO NO. The shoots it sent off grew incredibly fast and thick. Very difficult to control

Which begs the question: If the City knows that these trees give off so many seeds, then why not help more owners get rid of the tree?

Well, in Westbank, you can still cut them off and soak them in ROUNDUP. If it is a large tree, you can drill a hole and pour in Roundup.

TAKE NO PRISONERS, THESE DEMONS MUST BE DESTROYED!!!
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Postby grammafreddy » Nov 3rd, 2009, 6:18 pm

I wouldn't mind some nice shade trees ...
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Liked in: 794 posts

Postby hutton » Nov 3rd, 2009, 6:51 pm

Could some post a picture or a link to a picture of this tree. I have a tree in our back yard that has long flat seeds???????? I have heard people refer to it by a couple of names but not 'Chinese Elm'?????? So I am not sure what it is.
hutton
Fledgling

Liked in: 29 posts

Postby gardengirl » Nov 3rd, 2009, 6:55 pm

hutton wrote:Could some post a picture or a link to a picture of this tree. I have a tree in our back yard that has long flat seeds???????? I have heard people refer to it by a couple of names but not 'Chinese Elm'?????? So I am not sure what it is.

Chinese elm has long strands of leaves somewhat like a willow tree. When it goes to seed, it spits out thousands and thousands of dime sized white things like confetti. It's like snow.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Postby grammafreddy » Nov 3rd, 2009, 9:42 pm

Last edited by grammafreddy on Nov 3rd, 2009, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Liked in: 794 posts

Next

Return to Grab Bag