Noma LED outdoor lights suck!

A potpourri of off-topics.
DANSPEED
Übergod

Noma LED outdoor lights suck!

Post by DANSPEED »

Three years ago I replaced all my old incandescent outdoor Christmas lights with Noma LED lights from Canadian Tire, over $200 worth. You know save the environment! This year every strand has lights not working so I removed one and noticed the leads of the LED had rusted. Some rusted so badly they broke off inside the socket. Take a look. The yellow light on the left is new, the rest are junk.

Noma states in there outdoor instructions, "This seasonal use product is not intended for permanent installation or use." So Noma knows these LED lights will rust and fail.

I found on wiki that Noma is a band name owned by Inliten, LLC and the only Noma site I can find is Noma UK On the instructions it says the lights are imported by Trileaf Distributors. Well, so much for the three year warranty unless Canadian Tire takes them back.

I never had a problem with the old incandescent Christmas lights!
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: Noma LED outdoor lights suck!

Post by Queen K »

That's it. SOMEBODY Kill Christmas.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
RR24K
Lord of the Board

Post by RR24K »

Queen K wrote:That's it. SOMEBODY Kill Christmas.

I elect you "Queen K" to be one that will bring christmas to it's knees and destroy it . Anyone second this motion.
OffRoad
Übergod

Post by OffRoad »

DANSPEED wrote:Noma states in there outdoor instructions, "This seasonal use product is not intended for permanent installation or use." So Noma knows these LED lights will rust and fail.

Did you leave them up outside year round?
skydawg
Lord of the Board

Post by skydawg »

roadrunner24k wrote:
Queen K wrote:That's it. SOMEBODY Kill Christmas.

I elect you "Queen K" to be one that will bring christmas to it's knees and destroy it . Anyone second this motion.

Sure I will help you kill it
DANSPEED
Übergod

Post by DANSPEED »

OffRoad wrote:
DANSPEED wrote:Noma states in there outdoor instructions, "This seasonal use product is not intended for permanent installation or use." So Noma knows these LED lights will rust and fail.

Did you leave them up outside year round?

Yeah some are, but the wording "not intended for permanent installation or use" is vague and can mean just about anything; a day, no rain, sunny out. Obviously the problem is moisture and the dissimilar metals used for the LED leads and socket contacts resulting in rust!

So today it warmed up to 6C and it's raining. I guess I should bring all the lights back in and wait for winter again. :dyinglaughing:
K-30

Post by K-30 »

I just tested 11 NOMA outdoor Christmas light strings bought at Canadian Tire last year, only three are working properly, the other 8 string have only half a of the lights working.
WASTE OF MONEY
67CougarLover

Post by 67CougarLover »

I bought 2 strings of Led lights at canadian tire last year.Each string was faulty.Canadian tire gives you a year to exchange them for the same product or another product with your reciept.Not sure if they will without a reciept.
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Relentless »

As a rule, never buy any NOMA products, they are bottom of the barrel and even on sale are still not a bargain for the junk they are. I learned this some 15 years ago!
Thanks for validating my opinion on their products.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Never buy GE either. $20/bulb, and half of them burnt out within 4 months. The reviews speak for themself, I should have listened.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

YES - NOMA brand (and any brand you find at Canadian Tire or Walmart) LEDs suck.

I had the exact same experience as you. Lots of lamps out after 1st year, whole sections out after 2nd year. Noma used to mean quality and are still better than some other brands out there.

You've got 2 choices:
- Take the LEDs down every year (This is what I did). You'll easily get 5+ years if you don't leave them in the weather all year.
- Buy commercial quality LEDs online. 3x the price but they are sealed a lot better and will last a lot longer.

They all suffer from the exact same problem you experienced. Corrosion at the connection to the LED lamp. This is a problem with dissimilar metals coming in contact and corroding. The LED Lamps are made with high quality aluminum leads whereas the wiring is either copper or a different (cheaper) aluminum alloy.

Return to “Grab Bag”