Above ground pool help

A potpourri of off-topics.
TDogg80
Fledgling

Above ground pool help

Post by TDogg80 »

I have just purchased a little 10' diameter, 30" high above ground pool to hold my wife and I over until we can afford a hot tub. We have just purchased our first home, and figured this would be nice on a warm summer night.

The question I have is: Are there any bylaws regarding above ground pools in Kelowna? I know that inground pools MUST have an enclosure, and I assume that the bigger above ground ones do too. I'm just wondering if there is a size limit or anything. I've been looking all over the City of Kelowna website, and could not find anything but bylaws about constructing a pool.

Any info/help would be appreciated.

Add: Our backyard is NOT fenced in, which is where the pool will go.
I tried to add the pic, but here is the link to the pics:http://classifieds.castanet.net/showproduct.php/product/726695/cat/142
Last edited by TDogg80 on Jun 7th, 2010, 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Bacardi
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Above ground pool help

Post by Big Bacardi »

Any pool requires a fenced yard with a locking gate...beware of the bylaw inspectors lurking in the bushes...I know u see them all over the place without a fence, but just cause u see it does not make it legal.
You may think I'm dumb...But I ain't so smart.....but i am smart enuf to know how to spell corrictley!!!....I sure wish others culd spel. The graamar by other postars truly sux!
TDogg80
Fledgling

Post by TDogg80 »

The only reason I'm curious, is because I know kiddie pools dont need one, but at what size does it go from a "kiddie" pool to an actual pool?
Big Bacardi
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Big Bacardi »

12 inches
You may think I'm dumb...But I ain't so smart.....but i am smart enuf to know how to spell corrictley!!!....I sure wish others culd spel. The graamar by other postars truly sux!
TDogg80
Fledgling

Post by TDogg80 »

Big Bacardi wrote:12 inches

Where did you find this info? I've been looking forever! :skippingsheep:
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

Big Bacardi is right. We put in an above ground pool last spring. We have a fenced yard and our pool area is fenced as well. I am not sure if that is the norm, but I grew up with a pool and all of my friends that have pool have the 2nd fence as well. Really we're just covering our assets when it comes to insurance. Oh and the safety of others.
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
TDogg80
Fledgling

Post by TDogg80 »

All of the bylaws I have found refer to an inground pool, except for this one:

11.3.2 Pools one point zero seven metres (1.07 m) or more above surrounding
ground shall only be required to enclose the ladder or other access points to
the pool by a fence conforming to the requirements of Section 11.3.1 of this
bylaw.

Since my pool is only 30" high, this bylaw does not even apply. Just looking for an actual bylaw so I can have a piece of paper stating what or what not to do.
universe

Post by universe »

wrong time to buy a house ... no fence.... wrong pool... :sosorry: :sosorry:
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Basically if the thing holds enough water to drown in you are obligated to make certain it is secure.

You must have a fence that is unclimbable from the outside along with a self latching gate.

There were some above ground pool designs that had a deck with railings around it and a ladder which could be flipped up and locked when not in use making access to the thing impossible unless you were walking around with a minimum 6' ladder.

When it comes to a pool it's best to err on the side of caution.

To get precise regulations I'd advise taking the time to drop by City Hall as such rules vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction though the gist will be much the same.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
TDogg80
Fledgling

Post by TDogg80 »

Right on Wolf. Thank you, makes sound sense. I'll take a drop by City Hall first though, as we are cash-strapped, and I thought it would be great for my wife to float around on. So if I don't have to go above what is required, that would be finacially better.
vinnied
Lord of the Board

Post by vinnied »

I think like the previous poster was saying you need to be covering your assets. Ive seen a few of them pools around town with no fence around it aswell (and in the front yards) and bylaw officers must see them too. If there is in-deed a bylaw, I'm guessing they must not be overly picky, unless someone was to complain.
But if someone was to sneak onto your property, or a child wandered over and fell in and drowned or something you would be paying dearly though. and you would have to live with that the rest of your life.
[(4-Hydroxybutyl)azanediyl]di(hexane-6,1-diyl) bis(2-hexyldecanoate), ALC-0315 equivalent, is a ionizable, physiological pH cationic synthetic lipid that is used with other lipids to form lipid nanoparticles(LNP) for drug delivery, For research use only.
mott.hoople
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by mott.hoople »

Safety first...
These high thread count sheets feel amazing on my naked skin. Oh Oh... Here comes the Zellers manager. I wonder what she wants?
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

I live in vernon and just checked into it recently. Here , any body of water , pool , hot tub , pond , greater than 17" in depth requires a permit , and must conform to all bylaws regarding fences. The 1.07 m above ground that you mentioned would be because the wall of the pool is equivalent to a 4 ' fence.
Bylaw officers are not like police , looking for wrongdoers , they respond to complaints.
If you have an above ground pool , and no fence , you might still get busted if anyone complains.
I found that info in the Building and plumbing bylaw.
Lyndslee
Fledgling

Post by Lyndslee »

we had a pool similar to this the last few years and it came with a cover with a lock. We locked it everynight and when not in use. Our yard isn't fenced in fully either. We also have raccoons that would try and drink from it if it was left open after dark. When in doubt lock it up!
TDogg80
Fledgling

Post by TDogg80 »

Nice Lindslee! I'll start looking for one here too. I've been looking all night, and can't find any temporary fencing here in Kelowna. I'll try looking for a locking cover!

Return to “Grab Bag”