Myths that refuse to die

A potpourri of off-topics.
Roadster
Time waster at work

Re: Myths that refuse to die

Post by Roadster »

Glacier wrote:The horizon is flat...

Myth #15: The Monday blues make it the worst day of the week.

Truth: There is no difference in mood between Monday and Thursday.

What about Hump day?
♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

Glacier wrote:The horizon is flat...

Myth #15: The Monday blues make it the worst day of the week.

Truth: There is no difference in mood between Monday and Thursday.

I'm going to have to call BS on that one.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Obvious for those with exceptional wives like you or I, Mondays can be quite blue, but for the regular person out there, no...

mondayblues.PNG

Reference: Stone, Arthur A. et al. "Day-of-week mood patterns in the United States: On the existence of ‘Blue Monday’, ‘Thank God it's Friday’ and weekend effects" The Journal of Positive Psychology 7.4 (2012): 310.

The article goes on to say that the reason we think Mondays are so bad because it's worse than the day before, and not because it's actually worse than all the other days. More info can be found in this article. It's interesting that different ages are effected by differing amounts, but the same pattern exists throughout life.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

Glacier wrote:Obvious for those with exceptional wives like you or I, Mondays can be quite blue, but for the regular person out there, no...

mondayblues.PNG

Reference: Stone, Arthur A. et al. "Day-of-week mood patterns in the United States: On the existence of ‘Blue Monday’, ‘Thank God it's Friday’ and weekend effects" The Journal of Positive Psychology 7.4 (2012): 310.

The article goes on to say that the reason we think Mondays are so bad because it's worse than the day before, and not because it's actually worse than all the other days. More info can be found in this article. It's interesting that different ages are effected by differing amounts, but the same pattern exists throughout life.

Very true.

As for the article, I found it interesting. Monday, by contrast to the weekend we have just enjoyed, seems worse than any other day (and in a way, that does make it worse than any other day, lol) We humans seem to need contrast to really appreciate certain things and see them clearly, don't we?
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I think you make a very good point, and I'm inclined to agree. Relative to the day before, Monday is definitely the worst day of the week, so even if people don't feel better on Tuesday, they think they do. In absolute terms things are the same, but in relative terms they are better (come Tuesday).
Last edited by Glacier on Aug 3rd, 2012, 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
MCB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by MCB »

Redbull does not give you wings! (Darn it!)

I mean it makes one vibrate to no end for about an hour...but as much as I vibrated, the best that I could get off the ground was a mild hover...

"I-i-i-i-i-i--i-i-i-i-keep moving to the left and i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i have no control!"

"Uhh...from our perspective...you are hovering!"

It makes welding easy...especially long welds...."hold on!....and...done!"
The Antiepileptic induced seizures help "Oh god, not again uh-deh-deh-deh-deh-deh-deh" and the next day comes around..."Nice job you did!" Here's a quarter. Keep on!

OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

MCB wrote:Redbull does not give you wings! (Darn it!)

I mean it makes one vibrate to no end for about an hour...but as much as I vibrated, the best that I could get off the ground was a mild hover...

"I-i-i-i-i-i--i-i-i-i-keep moving to the left and i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i have no control!"

"Uhh...from our perspective...you are hovering!"

It makes welding easy...especially long welds...."hold on!....and...done!"
The Antiepileptic induced seizures help "Oh god, not again uh-deh-deh-deh-deh-deh-deh" and the next day comes around..."Nice job you did!" Here's a quarter. Keep on!

:coffeecanuck: Delightfully bizarre post.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Myth #16: Galileo was put on trial because of his scientific assertion about the earth moving around the sun.

In truth, he got in trouble for insulting the Pope.
- Douglas Murray

Return to “Grab Bag”