Kelowna dating service inquiry

A potpourri of off-topics.

Kelowna dating service inquiry

Postby AL1 » Jan 24th, 2011, 4:30 pm

I'm fairly new to Kelowna and I'm not into the bar scene and I've had poor experiences with online dating sites. What I would like to find is if there is a local dating agency that pre-screens applicants and provides introductions for local professionals. Does anyone know if such an individual or agency exists that provides this service?
Thanks Everyone.
AL1

Liked in: 4 posts

Re: Kelowna dating service inquiry

Postby grammafreddy » Jan 24th, 2011, 5:30 pm

I think there's a Singles Club that meets at the Rutland Centennial Hall.

Welcome to the Nutters' Forums. Good luck.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Liked in: 796 posts

Postby strwbrrydvl » Jan 24th, 2011, 5:39 pm

Welcome to Kelowna and :castanet:

Here's a list of local dating services: http://www.welcometokelowna.com/directo ... oryID=1202

Good luck and have fun!

Edit to add: keep yourself open to the possibility of meeting that special someone in your day to day life.. Who knows, you may find your soon to be spouse standing in front of you at the grocery store!
Last edited by strwbrrydvl on Jan 24th, 2011, 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some people develop a wishbone where their backbone should be.

Magnetix likes this post.
strwbrrydvl
Guru

Liked in: 8 posts

Postby ILBT uh-huh » Jan 24th, 2011, 5:41 pm

The kid (37 y/o) had spectacular luck on Plenty of Fish! Found a very nice lady.
Morning coffee is the highlight of my day. It's downhill all day after that.
ILBT uh-huh
Guru

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby V-Rated » Jan 24th, 2011, 5:42 pm

OBM is mine... jes sayin.
~Each morning I wake, my feet touch the floor, Satan shudders and says, *bleep*! She's awake!~
V-Rated
Guru

Liked in: 662 posts

Postby ILBT uh-huh » Jan 24th, 2011, 5:44 pm

I should be so lucky! :hailjo:
ILBT uh-huh
Guru

Postby Queen K » Jan 24th, 2011, 5:50 pm

AL1 wrote:I'm fairly new to Kelowna and I'm not into the bar scene and I've had poor experiences with online dating sites. What I would like to find is if there is a local dating agency that pre-screens applicants and provides introductions for local professionals. Does anyone know if such an individual or agency exists that provides this service?
Thanks Everyone.

There used to be, the internet killed them.

And now, why oh why do you have had poor experiences with online dating?

May I ask what happened?
Using cash is one of your few forms of privacy: use it or lose it. 1984 isn't the only Orwell novel that needs to to made fiction again.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 15388 posts

Postby Oxl3y » Jan 24th, 2011, 5:57 pm

Queen K wrote:May I ask what happened?

I kid I kid! Plenty of Fish is probably your best bet for decent free dating sites lots and lots of people use it.
[img] obviously too awesome to be displayed
Oxl3y
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 490 posts

Postby AL1 » Jan 24th, 2011, 6:14 pm

Okay, I think I inadvertently mislead people, AL are my initials. Actually looking to meet a guy. : )
My experiences with internet dating have included misleading info. (I'm sure that goes both ways like height, weight and photos a decade or two out of date), and because I'm not just about physical appearance I've went out with several even though there has been no initial attraction and left needing therapy. lol
I just thought it would be really nice to have someone else screen out those with major issues leaving sane, functioning adults you wouldn't be embarrassed to bring home to mom.
Well, maybe online dating is more mainstream now and it's time to give it another shot. (That or maybe start up such a service- I know I'd pay for it... thoughts?)
I'm also just a little uncomfortable posting my photo online because I have a very public role, but then I guess if someone is looking then they should be looking for the same things as I am.
What do you think- is it time to jump back into the fish pond then? ...
AL1

Liked in: 4 posts

Postby Queen K » Jan 24th, 2011, 6:23 pm

Fish Pond
Lavalife

What have you.

I have no idea what your original profile said but I guarantee you'll get more good dates if you state what your deal breakers are first and foremost.

I used to date on-line and the major mistake I made was drawing out the on-line chat far too long. Get out from the keyboard asap. Insist on up scale nice spots to meet if that's the kind of guy you want. Believe it or not, I've heard of more than one love story on Castanet because the posters liked what each other posted.
Using cash is one of your few forms of privacy: use it or lose it. 1984 isn't the only Orwell novel that needs to to made fiction again.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 15388 posts

Postby ILBT uh-huh » Jan 24th, 2011, 7:37 pm

Worked for V-R and me!

The kid never put his mug on POF and wasn't desperate, just wanted to meet a nice girl, so took his time. None of the women seemed to have a prob with no pic, so unless you're extremely ugly, pic should just be optional. Maybe even better so they get to know you as a person instead of a face.
ILBT uh-huh
Guru

Postby robhynes » Jan 24th, 2011, 8:43 pm

from someone that's been on and off dating sites? I've met them all - some women shoule be locked up in the looney bin and others were fantastic. To me, dating sites are a study into human nature. Over the years i've talked to many women online and found that men are the worst out there - the stories i've been told and the emails they've sent me made me want some BC bud, and I don't smoke dope lol

My rules on internet dating:

If you're going to meet this person, do it now - not later. Do not get to know the online personality cause it's generally a let down when they aren't the same face to face - and they generally come to meet with expectations of you.

Meet in a very public, albeit quiet place so you can talk and always give yourself a way out.

Have no expectations of this person and let that be known that they are to have no expectations of you - if that's not good enough for them, adios amigos.

Talking to some people is like pulling teeth - if they can't talk about anything, bail.

Like anything - if they sound too good to be true, they probably are - i've been sent pictures that were 10 years old and pictures of "someone else" just so they can meet up "with expectations". I hate liars and I will tell them that to their face and walk out.

Red flags, pay attention to them. Someone that oversells themselves on how great they are? yeah, no thank you. If I suspect that they aren't being themselves, i'm out.

State that you're looking for dating or friendship. So many women (and I guess men) are posting that they are looking for a relationship or looking to get married. Heck, has that ever worked for them? Tell them you're looking for friends or to date - you'll stand a better chance at meeting someone you like because there's no "relationship" attached to it. If it happens, all the better. Telling men that you're adamant about a relationship sometimes makes them drive you nuts or gives them expectations.

Alot of men online are just dogs - woof woof.
God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me.
robhynes
Fledgling

Liked in: 2 posts

Postby ILBT uh-huh » Jan 24th, 2011, 8:48 pm

Yep, all us good ones are married. The rest are all gay.
ILBT uh-huh
Guru

Postby justmyopinion » Jan 25th, 2011, 4:40 pm

there appears to be a singles thing going on in Vernon...not sure if it's what you're looking for but I happened to stumble on it and thought I'd let you know....

http://www.castanet.net/events/singles_ ... _party/825
justmyopinion
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 11 posts

Postby Geode » Mar 29th, 2012, 1:52 pm

Kelowna is not at all a good place to find love if you are between the ages of 30 to 45 if you are a man - it becomes more of a sausage party then. My son of 38 years old is an accountant, and never been married before - but had a steady girlfriend in Vancouver until he moved back here 10 years ago. He always wanted to have a family with the right person, but that right person never came along - and a lot of times it's been the case of women around 28 - 30 thinking he is over the hill, and wanting a family, finding someone close to his age would be much riskier in terms of having a healthy child (A woman's ability to conceive declines after age 35, and by 40 the chances drop dramatically with every year - and by age 45 natural conception is basically a no-go, while a man can still be fertile in his mid-50's). Whenever he did find somebody, it did not go more than a couple dates - finding out she was a smoker, someone with baggage (divorced or separated, or single mom), extremely unattractive, or just plain lacking ambition, or not wanting children. For older adults, there are plenty of single women out there when you go 45 and older - just go to any singles events and you'll see for yourself. He gave up the bar scene, went to online dating only to get radio silence - and looked into a dating agency, but it was all women who had a few years on him.

Last winter, he met a wonderful woman while he was vacationing down in Mazatlan, and they are now engaged, and working on the immigration paperwork. I say that the best thing for any single man who wants a family, and has been let down by the local dating scene - go international - Mexico, Eastern Europe, Phillipines. On the other hand, I'm not shooting down dating agencies - they're good for middle aged professionals that want to settle down and still want to focus on their careers, but don't want to have kids.
Geode

Liked in: 17 posts

Next

Return to Grab Bag