Kelowna dating service inquiry

A potpourri of off-topics.

Re: Kelowna dating service inquiry

Postby gardengirl » Mar 29th, 2012, 8:42 pm

Errr. This is not to imply in any way that your son made a mistake, but here goes...
I think it can be very dangerous to seek out relationships with people in other countries. There are lots of mail order bride stories where the women came over her, got citizenship and took off with a whack of the guy's cash.
I also know of women who have met men while on vacation and they were seduced. Some vacation spots it is open season on singles because people are looking to come to Canada any way they can.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 673 posts

Postby Marsh69 » Apr 2nd, 2012, 8:32 pm

gardengirl wrote:Errr. This is not to imply in any way that your son made a mistake, but here goes...
I think it can be very dangerous to seek out relationships with people in other countries. There are lots of mail order bride stories where the women came over her, got citizenship and took off with a whack of the guy's cash.
I also know of women who have met men while on vacation and they were seduced. Some vacation spots it is open season on singles because people are looking to come to Canada any way they can.

It can be very dangerous to seek out relationships on internet dating sites , or meeting local people in a bar as well. It's called due diligence, and getting a lawyer to dot the i's and cross the t's - a good pre-nuptial agreement will help prevent a lot of problems, and the new law on marriages of convenience makes this more unlikely. I don't think there is much of a difference between a local dating service, or going international, as there are gold diggers everywhere - you've just gotta know how to spot them. POF is more of a snake pit - more desperate people than not - damaged goods (divorced, separated and seeking to get into another relationship fast), or those that simply cannot get a date otherwise because they are either overweight, lazy, or simply unattractive, or have emotional baggage - in other words if all the good ones are taken - POF is What's Left.
Marsh69

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Captain Awesome » Apr 2nd, 2012, 8:46 pm

Well, there's also http://www.beautifulpeople.com, it's a dating site for beautiful people only, you actually have to be approved to join, so no fat and no uglies. My handle there is "Willdate4food", just FYI.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 3123 posts

Postby Takin it easy ! » Apr 3rd, 2012, 10:48 am

Be very careful when thinking of importing a bride these women are from another World and most will say and do anything to get over here once here morals and sense of commitment and family go out the window !
Takin it easy !
Übergod

Liked in: 20 posts

Postby Bsuds » Apr 3rd, 2012, 1:44 pm

I have a friend who met an oriental lady while working in Dubai. He brought her to Canada and she eventually got her citizenship.
Left him the next day. Be careful, very, very careful. I would suggest to at least have a prenup.
Ducks have feathers to cover their Butt Quacks!
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Liked in: 12985 posts

Postby Geode » Apr 3rd, 2012, 7:25 pm

Takin it easy ! wrote:Be very careful when thinking of importing a bride these women are from another World and most will say and do anything to get over here once here morals and sense of commitment and family go out the window !

Then what do you think the alternatives are for a 38 year old man that has never been married before? You can keep looking, and put yourself out there only so much -- you could be 50 and still be single in this town - and I don't think bars and nightclubs are the place for a 38 year old man to be hitting up on women for marriage. Most women that would be a suitable age to start a family - that means under 35, and preferably around 30 are either already married, or have moved on to the big cities, as employment prospects in Kelowna are **very slim**, and if there is any desirable woman of that age left behind, then competition for her is extremely stiff if she's in the game - and therefore she can set her expectations that much higher. As for internet dating sites, there are a lot of women out there in other communities, but almost all of them are not willing to make a move.

So the choices are as follows:
1. Stay single if you are no longer of college/university age
2. Continue to try and find someone through your social circles or through the local singles group - even though this has not worked in the past.
3. Continue to try online dating - even though you have not had any success beyond a first date.
4. Seek someone who is older than you, and forget about having children (taking into consideration that the divorce rate among childless couples is much higher).
5. Seek someone of the age range on your radar, but would be someone you ordinarily wouldn't date (Once again, if you're dating someone you ordinarily would not date out of desperation, is it going to work out?)
6. Move back to the big city after having bought your house near the peak of the housing bubble, losing money, and having to buy an even more expensive and much smaller place in Vancouver, and having to leave your present accounting firm.
7. Search for a bride in a foreign country.

I've hear two horror stories here, but I've also seen a lot of success stories. I know a lot of men in my social circles that have been happily married to Filipinas, Mexicans, Latinas, Czechs, Estonians for many years. In fact, my neighbour's wife is Brazilian, and they've been married 15 years with 4 children. In fact the US Bureau of statistics states that divorce rates between an American and a foreigner are 20% as opposed to 54% between Americans (68% for childless couples, and 40% for couples with children). If my son were to marry a single mom, or a divorcee, the odds of the marriage failing would be over 60%, and 80% if it was the woman's third marriage.

Bsuds, as for your friend who met the oriental lady while working in Dubai - there are gold diggers everywhere. Best to meet the woman in her country, along with her family and her friends. The first sign of problems is if you always give and get nothing in return - for example the family does not invite you to sit down for a meal. Stay out of India, China, or Russia - those are the countries where most marriages of convenience arise. Sticking your head in the sand is the worst thing you can do - if you don't step out of your comfort zone, you many never find anyone.
Geode

Liked in: 17 posts

Postby Kremmy » Apr 7th, 2012, 11:43 am

AL1 wrote:Okay, I think I inadvertently mislead people, AL are my initials. Actually looking to meet a guy. : )
My experiences with internet dating have included misleading info. (I'm sure that goes both ways like height, weight and photos a decade or two out of date), and because I'm not just about physical appearance I've went out with several even though there has been no initial attraction and left needing therapy. lol
I just thought it would be really nice to have someone else screen out those with major issues leaving sane, functioning adults you wouldn't be embarrassed to bring home to mom.
Well, maybe online dating is more mainstream now and it's time to give it another shot. (That or maybe start up such a service- I know I'd pay for it... thoughts?)
I'm also just a little uncomfortable posting my photo online because I have a very public role, but then I guess if someone is looking then they should be looking for the same things as I am.
What do you think- is it time to jump back into the fish pond then? ...

I think being uncomfortable about posting your photo is your prime handicap - so what if people know you are single and looking for someone - maybe one of your co-workers might know of someone and introduce you to them if they know. You also have to know that men are a lot pickier about physical appearance in their partners than women are - so keeping in shape and being as close to your ideal weight as possible will definitely put the odds in your favour. As for your comments - it seems your standards are quite high - and you have to look beyond the imperfections. Your age plays a big factor as well - you've got to allow some flexibility here, especially if you want a family - and it doesn't have to be a man close to your age - if your'e say 28, you could quite comfortably date someone as old as 40, and the chances of it working out are much, much better because the man always lags behind the woman in emotional maturity (For the man, take his age, half it, and add 7 years). Being a woman, another handicap is not wanting children - this again will greatly limit your choices, and if this is what you want, you'll probably want to look at a man that is at least in his mid-forties, and has either never been married, or is divorced. And if you do find somebody, you are going to have to do a lot of soul searching - will you be willing to set aside your career in order to bring up a family - if not, then you are severely handicapping yourself. But if you do want a decent site for online dating, try Match.com, or Eharmony.ca - they do a good job of weeding out the creeps. And if family is what you have in mind, what about church - the Latter-Day Saints church is a good bet.
Kremmy

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Queen K » Jul 7th, 2019, 1:52 pm

AL1 wrote:I'm fairly new to Kelowna and I'm not into the bar scene and I've had poor experiences with online dating sites. What I would like to find is if there is a local dating agency that pre-screens applicants and provides introductions for local professionals. Does anyone know if such an individual or agency exists that provides this service?
Thanks Everyone.

Sometimes I wonder what happened to AL1.

Did this individual find love? Find the single's scene? Go on internet dating sites?

I would love to know.

So if you're out there AL1, please let us know.

And Bsuds, we're survivors here, let me tell you. Look at this list of former posters!
Using cash is one of your few forms of privacy: use it or lose it. 1984 isn't the only Orwell novel that needs to to made fiction again.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 15385 posts

Postby oldtrucker » Jul 8th, 2019, 3:46 pm

Kremmy wrote: if your'e say 28, you could quite comfortably date someone as old as 40, and the chances of it working out are much, much better because the man always lags behind the woman in emotional maturity (For the man, take his age, half it, and add 7 years). Being a woman, another handicap is not wanting children - this again will greatly limit your choices, and if this is what you want, you'll probably want to look at a man that is at least in his mid-forties, and has either never been married, or is divorced.

So...If I'm say 50 ish ,that means I should or could be dating women as young as 32 years old.? This getting old thing is turning out to be not that bad.
I don't agree with the emotional maturity part of this post. I've would have to say it's the other way around from my experience...up to a certain age. Younger men in their 20's ...yes. After 30's, no.
Some may view my above politically incorrect opinions as 'harsh' and may even be offended by them. Some think political correctness will be our undoing. Save the planet, spay or neuter your kids.
oldtrucker
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1393 posts

Previous

Return to Grab Bag