Abandoned peacocks near Fintry

A potpourri of off-topics.

Would you prefer government capture live bunnies and peafowl rather than relying on a rescue society

Yes
14%
No
57%
Undecided
29%

Total votes: 21

western_star
Übergod

Re: Abandoned Peacocks near Fintry

Post by western_star »

This lonely peachick is lucky to be alive. This peachicks siblings probably succumbed to the raccoon, if that is why broken egg shells were found approx. June 2010.
jun_11_2010_lucky_peachick.jpg
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Well, WS, you certainly have far more patience than I would have. Every last one would be in my freezer by now. Hope you find a solution.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
western_star
Übergod

Post by western_star »

grammafreddy wrote:Well, WS, you certainly have far more patience than I would have. Every last one would be in my freezer by now. Hope you find a solution.

Thanks Gramma .. that could be part of my problem .. having way too much patience and letting problems get worse before they get better .. sigh

I should learn to be more like you gramma!
western_star
Übergod

Post by western_star »

So does anyone think RDCO should include peacocks in their Animal Control Bylaw #880? RDCO's Animal Control bylaw says it covers turkeys. Chilliwacks bylaw even includes swans but RDCO's bylaw does not. I would like to add peacock after the word "turkeys" below. Here is a snippett of RDCO's Animal Control bylaw:

Poultry means domesticated birds kept for eggs, meat, feathers, hide,
cosmetic or medicinal purposes and includes chickens, ducks, geese, turkeys
and game birds.

Run at large means livestock, small livestock and farmed fur bearing
animals that are elsewhere than on the premises of their owner while not
being under the direct charge and control of a competent and responsible
person. (This does not include livestock that are allowed under provincial
permit to graze on crown land.)

Small livestock means poultry, rabbit or other small animals similar in size
and weight but does not include farmed fur bearing animals.

TOO BAD it takes so long to add the word peacock if it ever does get added.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Yes, peacocks should be included in the bylaw and chickens should be allowed as pets and neither should be allowed to run at large but must be controlled at all times.

I listened to that audio you posted. Lordy!! Do they do that in the dead of night, too? If they are in a building at night, do they make all that racket, too?
__________________________________________________________________________________________

western_star
Übergod

Post by western_star »

grammafreddy wrote:Yes, peacocks should be included in the bylaw and chickens should be allowed as pets and neither should be allowed to run at large but must be controlled at all times.

I listened to that audio you posted. Lordy!! Do they do that in the dead of night, too? If they are in a building at night, do they make all that racket, too?

Thanks for your input Gramma. I agree that they shouldn't be running at large. I don't even think they should be allowed in a subdivision. They belong on a farm, same as the Roosters.

They roost in the trees at night and are not in buildings .. at least here they are not in a building.

Yes they squawk throughout the night... if a car goes by they squawk, if they hear a noise they squawk. One night after 9pm they squawked for 40 minutes. They squawk throughout the day and the night at 3am and 4am and 5am. During breeding season the last 3 months it seemed, they were really squawking. This last winter it wasn't too bad but come breeding season they squawk way too much for my liking. Just think what it would be like to have 34 peafowl living across the road from you LOL.

We have roosters here and in the Regional District of Central Okanagan they are suppose to be in a sound proof building from 7pm-7am ... but who wants to get up at 7am everyday. This is an outdated bylaw designed for farmers who get up at the crack of dawn. I don't want to get up at 7am every morning, including weekends. Right now there are three properties with roosters and none of them are in a sound proof building at anytime. The peacocks make as much noise as the roosters. And the roosters sometime crow for an hour in the afternoons too. I don't know how people can stand all the noise to tell you the truth LOL.
western_star
Übergod

Post by western_star »

Update:

If you want to listen to audio of the Regional District of Central Okanagan Board Meeting saying that the Board are going to investigate who is responsible for the abandoned feral peacocks, then click here on this link
http://www.okanaganlakebc.com/community ... acocks.htm
Once you click the link above, scroll down the page a bit under the photo of the peafowl, until you find the June 9, 2011 board meeting info posted, and then click on the short audio clip of the board talking just about the peafowl... the other clip (.mp3) posted is of the entire board meeting which you may not want to listen to the Board talk about other subjects other than the peafowl. Once you click the short audio clip (.wma) link of the board talking about the peafowl, your audio player should pop up and start playing the clip automatically. If you don't have an audio player installed, then it won't play until you install an audio player or until you fix the audio player you have installed. Windows Media Player will play (.wma) file types.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Are they edible?

If nobody is responsible for them or is interested in controlling them, looks to me like you might have your winter supply of meat. Not only that, those peacock feathers are probably worth some big bucks.

If the hens are still sitting on eggs, you could also addle them. That will control future numbers of them. Just don't completely remove the eggs after addling from the nest - that'll make them start making a second batch of babies.

How to Cook Peacock

Although it's not a common dish, peacock or peafowl can make a tasty meal when properly prepared and cooked. Its unique and delicate flavor can be brought out with simple roasting or braising as long as you don't overcook it. Incorporating herbs and spices also help to bring out the distinctive flavor and texture of peacock.

1 Acquire a peacock. There are several ways to get your hands on a good roasting peacock. Sometimes farmers sell their peafowl at livestock auctions. While this may be a hit-or-miss scenario, it may be worth checking out a local livestock auction. Otherwise, check online for peacock or poultry/pheasant dealers. If you can locate a company online, there's a great chance that you can also order a peacock online or by phone.

2 Clean the bird. Before you can cook the peacock, you must prepare it for the table. You clean a peacock in much in the same way you clean any other poultry. First, remove both of its wings and its head. Remove only one of the legs so that you can use the other to transport the bird. Skin the bird (removing both skin and feathers) all the way to the tail. Lastly, wash off the entire bird to prepare it for the next step.

3 Find a recipe. While finding a peacock recipe may not be the easiest task in the world, they're out there if you look for them. You may be able to get your hands on an older cookbook that contains peacock recipes, however, you might be better off searching online for a better variety of peacock recipes.

4 Prepare the peacock for cooking. Depending on the recipe you choose, you'll need to prepare it for cooking. Often, peacock recipes call for bacon (to help keep the bird moist) as well as a variety of spices. Follow the recipe for cooking temperatures, times and serving suggestions.

western_star
Übergod

Post by western_star »

grammafreddy wrote:Are they edible?
If nobody is responsible for them or is interested in controlling them, looks to me like you might have your winter supply of meat. Not only that, those peacock feathers are probably worth some big bucks.

I don't think I want to go through all that trouble, and the blood would make a mess on my property if I kill a peacock the same way they do it on the farm for a chicken chopping its head off and letting it flop around getting blood everywhere. I would rather see the Regional District of Central Okanagan get some of the peafowl to tell you the truth, then we would see how fast they can investigate who is responsible for peafowl and add the one word "peafowl" to their animal control Bylaw alongside turkey, chicken, etc. LOL. Chilliwacks bylaw includes Peacock and Swan even. Guess they might have had trouble with some swans and peacocks maybe?

And yeh I heard on this forum that the feathers are worth lots to fly fishmen for making fly hooks to catch fish with.

Fish and Wildlife didn't exactly say you are permitted to cook peacock, but I can't see why not. They did talk about lethal control and egg addling. I would be happier to try and trap them and find them a good home first though.
western_star
Übergod

Post by western_star »

One thing I didn't think about was the following statement below which someone just posted to
http://www.okanaganlakebc.com/community ... esults.htm

Feeding peacocks all around the subdivision will bring all the cougars, bears, rats, mice, coyotes,racoons etc. and that is not protecting the children or the peacocks. Think!!!!!!
Star Light
Guru

Post by Star Light »

Hows the leg Western_star? Wound all healed up by now?
Life is what happens while we are making plans for tomorrow
western_star
Übergod

Post by western_star »

Star Light wrote:Hows the leg Western_star? Wound all healed up by now?

Thanks for asking. My leg got infected under the scab I noticed the other day, and so I ripped the scab off the other night after a few drinks ... and then I poured vodka on it cause that was all I had and boy did it sting .. now a new scab has formed ... There is a big hole in my leg. It hurts sometimes. It has been 22 days now and its healing so very slowly. I have attached a photo. There use to be two holes and now there is only one big hole. Its disgusting. I went to town the other day and that night I noticed he scab was coming off .. too bad it didn't happen when I was in town and I would have went to the walk in clinic to get something for it. I guess vodka is the next best thing due to the alcohol?
2011_jun_25_peacock_wound_web.jpg

Don't mind the dry skin ... I am not putting lotion on my leg to help keep dirt from sticking.
strwbrrydvl
Guru

Post by strwbrrydvl »

Use lots of polysporin on it, that'll help it heal faster and prevent infection.
Some people develop a wishbone where their backbone should be.
western_star
Übergod

Post by western_star »

I noticed couple days ago that the District of Mission has the word peafowl and swan in its bylaw too.
western_star
Übergod

Post by western_star »

strwbrrydvl wrote:Use lots of polysporin on it, that'll help it heal faster and prevent infection.

When I was in town I was looking straight at the polysporin and didn't buy any cause I don't have a lot of money and I thought it was healing because it was a little itchy and I thought that was a good sign ... low and behold that night I was talking on the phone and put my hand on it to scratch a bit and a bit of puss came out ... I guess that is why it was a bit itchy and then I lifted the scab a bit on one side and I seen infection so thought I better get rid of the scab. It wasn't hard to come off cause of the infection I guess. Hopefully this new scab and vodka will make it all better :) One thing is its not hot, so maybe it didn't get too infected. I have some aloe vera .. I will put some of that on it maybe.

Return to “Grab Bag”