Forum Photo Contest!

A potpourri of off-topics.
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Re: Forum Photo Contest!

Post by GoStumpy »

It is in BC, within 150km of Kelowna :discodance:
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Campbell Lake southeast of Kamloops?

If so, name this highway....

highway.jpg
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
SmokeOnTheWater
Walks on Forum Water

Post by SmokeOnTheWater »

Yoho Valley Road ?
On your way to Takakkaw Falls.
" Nature is not a place to visit. It is home. " ~ Gary Snyder
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Hwy. 20.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Liquidnails
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Liquidnails »

I think it's Roche Lake. I was camped in the area this past may long weekend and I don't think the power lines run that close to Campbell. It's a fun drive on the backroad from Campbell over to Roche lake though. My girlfriend hated it :dyinglaughing:

That's the Bella Coola highway.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Liquidnails, is the drive into Roche Lake Prov. Park interesting? We've eyeballed it on the map a couple of times now.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Lizard wrote:Stum Lake?

Stum Lake is in White Pelican Prov. Park. Does anyone know if the drive into Stum Lake from Alexis Creek is 4x4 or good for a Subaru?
Liquidnails
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Liquidnails »

The drive into Roche Lake from highway 5a is nice enough. The road is good and there are lots of neat little lakes to explore in the area. I'd say that 5a from Kamloops to the turn off is the most scenic portion. I came in from the North (turning off Campbell Range Rd.) which I wouldn't recommend unless you're on a 4wheeler, jeep or capable small truck.
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Post by GoStumpy »

Glacier wrote:Campbell Lake southeast of Kamloops?
]

Damn, well done!!
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Congrats Glacier! Now where the heck is that?
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Queen K wrote:Stum Lake is in White Pelican Prov. Park. Does anyone know if the drive into Stum Lake from Alexis Creek is 4x4 or good for a Subaru?

You are correct, that is an earial picture of hwy 20 (AKA The famous hill down into the Bella Coola Valley).

As for the drive in the Stum Lake.... UNBELIEVABLE, I just noticed that Google Street View now takes almost right into the park!!! ... I have not been in there myself, but I've been into nearby Nazko Lake Pro. Park (see my link above). The road is pretty good into there at least. From our end it is much quicker to drive in from a section of hwy 20 called Hance's Timber...also known as the spot were I was driving about 140 km/h and a cop passed me, but only gave a quick blip of the lights to let me know to slow down (it's pretty easy to go 140km/h around there).

From Williams Lake hwy 20 goes west over the plateau. My brother lives on the "unofficial hwy 20" that heads east to Horsefly. This section is much more populated the it is heading west, and prettier too. The Chilcotin is dry and barren while the eastern parts of the Cariboo are quite lush and wet. If you make it 200 km west, then hit the Coast Mountains and you are near the tallest mountain within BC.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Liquidnails
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Liquidnails »

If you are in the area, I highly recommend checking out Perkins Peak, on the western edge of the Chilcotin Plateau. The turn off is at One Eye Lake and you can drive right up to about 7500' where there is a little alpine lake, and it's an easy hike from there up to the peak, or if you have a capable 4x4 or 4wheeler you can drive right to the peak at about 9500'. I don't like condoning that though, as alpine areas are very sensitive, but perkins is all pretty much just gravel and rock. There is a bunch of historical remnants of mining and absolutely stunning views of the coast mountains and Mt. Waddington (about 50km away) as well as the entire chilcotin plateau. There is so much to see out that way. I lived in Williams Lake for 7 or 8 years and used to love splitting my time between the Chilcotin to the west, and the country between Horsefly Lake and Mahood Lake to the east. If I ever wanted to disappear off the face of the earth, and couldn't make it to Chile, I know a couple nice valleys I could happily hermit out the rest of my life.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

In the first picture you will find a picture of moi hiking up in the Perkins Peak area about 30 years ago. The second picture is taken near the snow patch you can see off in the distance. Way up on top of this mountain is (or was) a small gold mining operation.

Minerlake_PerkinPeak2.jpg
MinerLake_PerkinsPeak1.jpg
- Douglas Murray
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

:ohmygod: I have another photo to resize and post?

I'm a winner? What no fanfare? No :nyah:

Fine, fine.

Off to find stunning photo.
SmokeOnTheWater
Walks on Forum Water

Post by SmokeOnTheWater »

Queen K wrote:I'm a winner? What no fanfare?

There you go ..

:cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader:

:thewave: :thewave:
" Nature is not a place to visit. It is home. " ~ Gary Snyder

Return to “Grab Bag”