Forum Photo Contest!

A potpourri of off-topics.
Liquidnails
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Forum Photo Contest!

Post by Liquidnails »

That 2nd picture... is that from the inaugural convocation of TRU in '05? I have a funny story regarding that day.

I was a full time student at TRU from '04-'06 and on that day in 05 Mr. Martin and I believe Mr.Campbell both visited the building where all my studies took place.

This visit was not announced to us students so it came as a surprise to see a massive crowd with TV cameras and and snacks and coffee downstairs in the foyer of the building. After getting some donuts and triangle sandwiches, we were quite surprised to see that the Prime Minister himself was in the house. We tried to go say hi to Mr. Martin, and upon failing we went back up the stairs out of the way of all the commotion. This was probably 30 minutes or so before the cameras were rolling.

Later, once the cameras were rolling, everything was really quiet and a large crowd had gathered on the mezzanine overlooking the area where the dignitaries were. People had also gathered on the stairs, and on the landing between the floors (where I was). All of us had a great view.

In the middle of the speech someone halfway up the stairs (above where I was), whipped down his pants, yelled out "HEY GORDO!" and hung his bare bum over the railing and gave it a few slaps before pulling up his pants and taking off like a raped ape with security chasing after him. It was hilarious. If the PM and premier noticed, they didn't show it. Most of the students thought it was hilarious, and the administration that noticed were mortified.

Fun couple of years.
Last edited by Liquidnails on Jan 29th, 2013, 9:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I guess I missed the excitement; this is the first I've heard of the mooning. ETA: I just recalled that I did heard someone yell, "Hey Gordo," and everyone laughing, but I must have been too busy taking my friend's picture with Harper to notice the aftermath.

I took the picture of El Gordo and Heir Harper on those steps before the Prime Minister arrived. We went up to Harper and chatted with him. I took my friends' pictures with him, and told them that in exchange they can take my picture with Martin.
We knew Martin was coming because the robotics class was going to put on a demonstration for him, hence the reason I had brought my camera to school that day.

Unfortunately, I failed to take one thing into consideration. Prime Ministers, unlike premiers, leaders of the opposition, and other such small fry, come with high security so that no one can simply walk up to them and chat. Those security guys were big and they would give the stink-eye to anyone for even thinking of getting too close. Never did get my picture, which is why you don't see me in that picture.

P.S. You're right on the money, dirtybiker. GordonH had already answered the questions via PM correctly (as he always does), and for once he had a picture to post, so I told him to go for it.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Liquidnails
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Liquidnails »

Glacier, did you study at TRU?
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Yes. Twice.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:Here is the next picture to find (just click on the link here in blue) Give me the name of the this mountain

Here is first hint: it will be found within green radius on this map

http://www.freemaptools.com/radius-arou ... &fc=00FF00

2) Here the second hint: this mountain is within this part of the radius from hint #1.
Second Clue.jpg
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

A wild stab in the dark..

Turtle Mtn.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

dirtybiker wrote:A wild stab in the dark..

Turtle Mtn.

Sorry..... keep trying
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Let me ask those who are viewing or playing this contest is my picture difficult to figure or guess about.
mee-mo87
Board Meister

Post by mee-mo87 »

Tuktakamin Mountain?
Liquidnails
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Liquidnails »

No, I don't think your picture is overly difficult. There are only so many mountains within the given radius. Even with no local knowledge it could still be guessed with a little google earth exploring.

It's shape is very familiar to me, but I can't place it. I'm used to seeing it from farther away.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

mee-mo87 wrote:Tuktakamin Mountain?

Sorry mee-mo87, keep trying.
Liquidnails
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Liquidnails »

Is it close to tuktakamin? Like across the valley?
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Liquidnails wrote:No, I don't think your picture is overly difficult. There are only so many mountains within the given radius. Even with no local knowledge it could still be guessed with a little google earth exploring.

It's shape is very familiar to me, but I can't place it. I'm used to seeing it from farther away.

Okay, appreciate this.... did not want to make it to difficult.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Liquidnails wrote:Is it close to tuktakamin? Like across the valley?

Sorry its not
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

3) Hint it's elevation is lower than Tuktakamin & bonus hint it's not within 10 km radius of centre of Falkland.

Return to “Grab Bag”