Eastern Grey Squirrel, the new terror.

A potpourri of off-topics.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Eastern Grey Squirrel, the new terror.

Post by Fancy »

A_Britishcolumbian wrote:since we are aware that bylaw officers response is complaint driven, possibly they could put their batons to use clubbing this vermin from the east.

I can just imagine the uproar that would cause. It would be the bunny escapades all over again.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by A_Britishcolumbian »

fancy, so kind of you to get my joke :)

but these squirrels are no joke, and i have never seen any response on this forum as to how well the new city reporting 'app' works.

the premier did mention she was going to act on the invasive species issue.
I'm not worried what I say, if they see it now or they see it later, I said it. If you don't know maybe that would hurt you, I don't know. You should know though, so you don't get hurt, so you know what side to be on when it happens.
T.Tsarnaev
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Was that a general remark or was it specific to the squirrel?
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

I'm not worried what I say, if they see it now or they see it later, I said it. If you don't know maybe that would hurt you, I don't know. You should know though, so you don't get hurt, so you know what side to be on when it happens.
T.Tsarnaev
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Thanks for the link. That was a very vague remark. The list of invasive species is long and varied and I would imagine there would have to be a priority on what should be focused on and what has the greatest chance of eradication.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

http://www.kelownacapnews.com/news/172524111.html
Is anything done when someone reports them?
matai
Banned

Post by matai »

Took that picture in Montreal in 2009... he was eating cheezies from the garbage bin...
FSmith59
Banned

Post by FSmith59 »

Fancy wrote:http://www.kelownacapnews.com/news/172524111.html
Is anything done when someone reports them?

Of course. It goes to a city staffer who makes a report and gives to council. Council takes it under consideration and ultimately votes in favour of doing a study of the problem. After spending an exorbitant amount of money on the study, it again goes to council and they vote in favour of the eradication of the invasive. The decision is then reported in the media. Once that happens, all the animal rights activists go to Home Hardware or Rona and by 1x2's, plywood and a can or two of paint, to make signs to carry around the location where the animals are, or in front of City Hall. Lastly, council calls an emergency meeting where they decide to put the plan on hold until further notice.
matai
Banned

Post by matai »

Montreal has grey squirrels, Toronto have black squirrels and they both live fine with it.

In the Okanagan we have geese, and this winter I've witness municipal employees throwing rocks at them so they go away... there's also the egg addling program from the RDCO to kill the babies.

Now we have squirrels and we want to exterminate them too?

I almost forgot about the Okanagan Lake Shrimps... which were introduced by the so called scientifics in the '60s which were supposed to be used to feed the Okanagan Kokanees... which in returns feeds nothing and eat the Kokanees food, which declines the Kokanees population.

And the deers, the other day I saw a conservatory agent shoot one with a gun on the Highway. Ok it was half dead in the ditch but how many deer ends up on the highway? Alberta fenced theirs to prevent collisions, can we not do it here too in non-urban areas?

And the bears... we kill them too instead of relocating them.

At least we have bats to eat the mosquitos. Right, we wanted to destroy their building as well but fortunately, it got saved.

But yet, we allow dangerous & huge cows that could kill motorists to eat their grass freely on a steep & curvy part of the Brenda Mines Rd running along Deep Creek without any protection for motorists from swerving down the gorge without any problem. I got pictures to proove it.
Last edited by matai on Jul 10th, 2013, 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

The Eastern Grey Squirrel comes in black - that's what Toronto has (as well as the red squirrel).
mathieu wrote:Montreal has grey squirrels, Toronto have black squirrels and they both live fine with it.

No, not really.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

mathieu wrote:Now we have squirrels and we want to exterminate them too?

You're missing the whole point of the grey squirrel being in the top 100 of invasive species that destroy the locals.
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

hey mathieu, the extermination of our local native species by the invasive eastern grey squirrels is a huge concern. we are talking about the imminent extinction of some species if these greys are not stopped.

while the greys are native to the east, quebec and ontario for instance, they are foreign to this area and highly destructive to native fauna. this thread abounds with great info.

"In addition to pushing out native species of squirrel, they also eat birds and birds’ eggs, dig up flowering bulbs, chow down on fruits and nuts as well as stripping the bark from trees, chewing through electrical wires, eaves and shingles and then nesting in and damaging roofs, attics and chimneys."

from the kelcapnews article referenced above.
T.Tsarnaev
matai
Banned

Post by matai »

Fancy wrote:The Eastern Grey Squirrel comes in black - that's what Toronto has (as well as the red squirrel).
No, not really.

Taken on my balcony in Toronto in 2006, eating a peanut.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Watching a show on how to cook them.
matai
Banned

Post by matai »

A_Britishcolumbian wrote:"In addition to pushing out native species of squirrel, they also eat birds and birds’ eggs, dig up flowering bulbs, chow down on fruits and nuts as well as stripping the bark from trees, chewing through electrical wires, eaves and shingles and then nesting in and damaging roofs, attics and chimneys."

from the kelcapnews article referenced above.

I don't dsagree with that, but I think they would show this kind of behavior no matter where they are, because of what they are: squirrels.

The other day I saw a raven stealing magpie eggs from their nest to eat them. Do we have to destroy them too?

Return to “Grab Bag”