Eastern Grey Squirrel, the new terror.

A potpourri of off-topics.

Re: Eastern Grey Squirrel, the new terror.

Postby Greg055 » Apr 3rd, 2015, 8:45 pm

Swoop wrote:...lol - nice try...the term "careless use of a firearm" comes to mind...

Sorry; got your apples and oranges mixed up, son;
-One is City Bylaw, and the other is criminal law.
-BB and Pellet guns are NOT firearms and are NOT restricted weapons as the bullets are under a certain mass, and under 500fps.

That is why airsoft toys which fire a light weight plastic pellet are TOYS and not restricted weapons, contrary to RCMP actions. The point being that the RCMP, contrary to the former Solicitor General's office's opinion, want to restrict ALL GUN OWNERSHIP in Canada, EVEN TOYS!!! Even a plywood cutout of a pistol is considered an illegal "replica weapon" by the RCMP.

The point being that we have become so gun-paranoid that neighbors freak when seeing kids playing with toy guns, and RCMP SWATT teams swarm the kids and seize the TOYS as illegal "replica weapons." Please, sir, for the sake of some sanity, get your understanding of the law in order with the real world. Toy guns are NOT restricted firearms.
Greg055

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby Swoop » Apr 3rd, 2015, 9:26 pm

Swoop wrote:...lol - nice try...the term "careless use of a firearm" comes to mind...
Greg055 wrote:Sorry; got your apples and oranges mixed up, son;
-One is City Bylaw, and the other is criminal law.
-BB and Pellet guns are NOT firearms and are NOT restricted weapons as the bullets are under a certain mass, and under 500fps.

That is why airsoft toys which fire a light weight plastic pellet are TOYS and not restricted weapons, contrary to RCMP actions. The point being that the RCMP, contrary to the former Solicitor General's office's opinion, want to restrict ALL GUN OWNERSHIP in Canada, EVEN TOYS!!! Even a plywood cutout of a pistol is considered an illegal "replica weapon" by the RCMP.

The point being that we have become so gun-paranoid that neighbors freak when seeing kids playing with toy guns, and RCMP SWATT teams swarm the kids and seize the TOYS as illegal "replica weapons." Please, sir, for the sake of some sanity, get your understanding of the law in order with the real world. Toy guns are NOT restricted firearms.

...yea, I'm no hunter/firearms expert, and I've obviously touched a nerve so, maybe just ask that you make sure to be careful pointing your "toy" out the window while killing squirrels - so as not to hit anybody...
Swoop
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1234 posts

Postby Greg055 » Apr 3rd, 2015, 9:53 pm

Greg055 wrote:if you pop a pellet inside your house and it exits your house out an open window, and there is nothing in the line of sight except a squirrel......

Many houses within the city limits are too close together to allow such activity. That was why I am so critical of the CITY NOT DOING their part. The effective solutions to the invasive gray squirrel are few AND NO ONE is willing to do anything. Those that do are subject to snide under-comments by those who have not a clue, and idiot enforcers. So, the end result is that NOTHING is done and the invasive species takes over and destroys the natural habitats...

No problem, lets all get a Hummer and be happy.
Greg055

Postby Anonymous123 » Apr 3rd, 2015, 10:04 pm

So what if the Eastern Grey moves in. Is this not nature working on its own, or is someone helping them move in?
We See
We Judge

maryjane48 likes this post.
Anonymous123
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1095 posts

Postby danmartin » Apr 4th, 2015, 8:40 am

Anonymous123 wrote:So what if the Eastern Grey moves in. Is this not nature working on its own, or is someone helping them move in?

They aren't indigenous to the area and as such should be controlled if possible. They cause a lot of problems and kill many native species. This is much like many other species man has introduced to areas they don't belong and change things for the worse. Cane toads, rabbits, Mysis scrimp, black birds, bull frogs, magpies, numerous plants etc. are some that come to mind.
danmartin
Board Meister

Liked in: 163 posts

Postby Ken7 » Apr 4th, 2015, 8:49 am

Greg055 wrote:Indeed, illegal as in City bylaw. But not illegal to fire within your house. The City has no business with you in your basement popping away at a pellet capture target. Now, let's push that a bit farther: if you pop a pellet inside your house and it exits your house out an open window, and there is nothing in the line of sight except a squirrel......

I suggest speak with your neighbors. First ensure they aren't using these squirrels as pets. Then explain to them what you are using your pellet gun for if they are all right with it.

Then use the three "S" method - shoot it, shovel it and shut up!

Happy Hunting!! I live in Glenmore and no greys here in my neighborhood. See the odd red which is ok.
Ken7
Guru

Liked in: 2384 posts

Postby JLives » Apr 4th, 2015, 11:14 am

When I lived up north we had family friends that built a series of squirrel tunnels inside their house. Each room in the house had a larger area where the squirrels could sleep, eat and hang out. They were accessible from the outside so all of the squirrels who used it were wild. There would usually be a few of them wandering around at any given time.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."

3 people like this post.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 5503 posts

Postby Ken7 » Apr 4th, 2015, 4:55 pm

JLives wrote:When I lived up north we had family friends that built a series of squirrel tunnels inside their house. Each room in the house had a larger area where the squirrels could sleep, eat and hang out. They were accessible from the outside so all of the squirrels who used it were wild. There would usually be a few of them wandering around at any given time.

Can we say kinda nuts, but I like it.

JLives likes this post.
Ken7
Guru

Liked in: 2384 posts

Postby Queen K » Sep 4th, 2017, 12:36 pm

BUMP

Grey Squirrels are tearing off my sunflower heads and eating them, petals and all before they even have a chance to go to full seed for the chickadees. :cuss: it.

Anyone got good squirrel recipes?
Our saddest days are when we add up our losses, and losses seem to be our saddest when we lose our best. Proud to be a "Leaf-licker" and I know who else is too. **smiles**

2 people like this post.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 11952 posts

Postby maryjane48 » Sep 4th, 2017, 12:39 pm

shooting any wildlife with pellets is cowardly and should be stamped out .

Bpeep likes this post.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 2665 posts

Postby Opeeved » Sep 4th, 2017, 12:47 pm

Get and raise some Norwegian lemmings. They're my new favourite rodent; full of pee and vinegar! Will chase cats away haha. I love squirrels and would love one as a pet, but they're squirrelly little buggers lol.

Sorry about your sunflowers. I've never had success with them.
This post was brought to you, by, the letter F, Q and the number 8

Queen K likes this post.
Opeeved
Fledgling

Liked in: 104 posts

Postby dirtybiker » Sep 4th, 2017, 12:50 pm

Nice timely bump..

They seem to be in cahoots with the rats.

They both just love the organic based insulator coatings on some years and brands of
vehicles.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"

Queen K likes this post.
dirtybiker
Guru

Liked in: 2763 posts

Postby Greg055 » Sep 4th, 2017, 1:24 pm

Queen K wrote:BUMP

Grey Squirrels are tearing off my sunflower heads and eating them, petals and all before they even have a chance to go to full seed for the chickadees. Anyone got good squirrel recipes?

Grey/Black invasive squirrels are very resilient and very successful in taking advantage of any food source. They are tough animals, and even with direct brain or heart shots, still fight for life. I guess the SPCA would call that pain and suffering...Too bad they are not accepting trapped animals for humane disposal.

I like the small-seed large flower-petal sunflowers, not the larger "Russian" types. The Gold Finches love the smaller seeds. About this time of year you can see the bright yellow male goldfinches hanging upside down pulling one seed at a time, shelling it and stuffing it into their cheek, all the while the young ones are all around fluttering their wings and begging (chee-bee, chee-bee) for a feed.

Then dad flies over to one,and stuffs the seeds into it's mouth. one, two, three, seven, ten, before going back for a refill. I have seen 5 - 7 little ones begging from one dad, so maybe it's the cousins also... while the moms are having cocktails?

But as the neighborhood fills with greys (and blacks), the gold finches are much less, even though the sunflowers are more.

Queen K likes this post.
Greg055

Postby Greg055 » Sep 4th, 2017, 1:29 pm

Ken7 wrote:
JLives wrote:When I lived up north we had family friends that built a series of squirrel tunnels inside their house. Each room in the house had a larger area where the squirrels could sleep, eat and hang out. They were accessible from the outside so all of the squirrels who used it were wild. There would usually be a few of them wandering around at any given time.

Up north, those would have been the native brown squirrels. They are very brave and cute.
The invasive European grey squirrel drives them out.
Greg055

Postby Queen K » Sep 4th, 2017, 1:31 pm

I have many goldfinch and chickadee in sunflower shots, this year I've caught red-wing black birds in them. But it's the first time I've seen a squirrel tear an entire head off and carry it to the squirrel's favourite diningroom table. I do have photographs of it.
Our saddest days are when we add up our losses, and losses seem to be our saddest when we lose our best. Proud to be a "Leaf-licker" and I know who else is too. **smiles**
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 11952 posts

PreviousNext

Return to Grab Bag