Tax Tips

A potpourri of off-topics.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Tax Tips

Post by Glacier »

If anyone has some tax tips or questions please post them here.

I have a question first. Since medical expenses less than 3% of my income are not tax deducible and since my BC Medical premiums (128/month) are approximately equal to 3% of my income, does it make sense to prepay a whack of these premiums as a means of utilizing my tax deductions?

I seldom ever have medical expenses to speak of, but let's say that for this year I did have something out of the ordinary (say wisdom teeth extraction), am I off my rocker thinking that I should prepay a year or two of BC Medical premiums at the same time for tax purposes?

ETA: in addition, I would like to know if any of our resident American citizens file with the IRS?
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Re: Tax Tips

Post by Captain Awesome »

MSP premiums are not tax deductible. So, doesn't matter if it's over 3% of your income or not...

PS: Premiums paid to PRIVATE insurance company are.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Oh snap. There goes that idea. Guess I'll have to up my private insurance policy by 128/month (+markup) so they will cover the MSP premiums.

ETA: No wait, my employer pays that anyway. Aw well.

ETA2: Ah, but he only covers basic coverage, so maybe I could pay out of pocket for an upgrade.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Before you get any more ideas - plastic surgery isn't tax deductible either...
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
OnTheRoadAgain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by OnTheRoadAgain »

Tax tip:
When you put the IRS together, it spells THEIRS.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

If you're hooking on the side, make sure you use your entire house. Don't just conduct your business in the bedroom because you'll only be able to deduce expenses related to that room. Instead, use every part of your house -- the garage, the kitchen, the bathroom, the dinning room, the linen closet, the crawlspace, the back deck, etc.
- Douglas Murray

Return to “Grab Bag”