Roofing companies

A potpourri of off-topics.
BoB76
Guru

Re: Recommend a Roofer?

Post by BoB76 »

Middleton CUstom roofers did mine very well. One of the few contractors that did what they said they'd do.
You can't fix stupid........BUT you can dress them up and over pay them to teach your kids!
db54

Re: Roofing companies

Post by db54 »

*negative business review removed*/ferri
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

MAPearce wrote:Be careful Q.....That's ALOT of cash for 5 1/2 square...Do a compo ,HST,liability insurance AND BBB check on them....

Best to make sure that ,as you require , the people you pay can ,and will , prove they have the coverage you demand...

Just sayin.

Well that's what I thought too. Thanks for the advice. I'm calling Ryder and Sun Valley Roofing soon.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Re: Recommend a Roofer?

Post by TreeGuy »

Call Sears. First of all you can pay for it with no interest monthly payments. Secondly they stand behind their warranty.

True Story: We hired sears to do our roof, they brought in their sub-contractor, a local roofing company. They did the job and it was a bit sloppy, but sears had them come back and fix it. Then 4 years into the 5 year warranty I discovered that the roofers didn't replace ANY of the rotten plywood underneath! I happen to notice this when I was replacing the fascia boards. Had we hired the roofing company directly we would have been hooped! They had people taking them to court for other bad work.

Sears came in with their new sub contractor and tore off the entire roof, replaced the rotten wood and put a new roof on. They could have just done the corners that were rotten. Also in the original contract we were to pay by the square foot for the replacement plywood and labour, when they did replace the roof there was no charge for supplies or labour on the plywood.

We were very pleased by this. They really took care of it!
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

prairieflower wrote:We had our roof done by Ryder Roofing 14 years ago & would have them back for our next job in a heartbeat. No muss, no fuss, & no mess.

Where I work, we also use them for our commercial subcontracting works.

Good company!

pf.

Hmmmm.. 14 years ago , I pulled into the Sutherland ave car wash to was my cab. I followed one of their trucks into the bay as it pulled out.

I left COVERED in tar..The owner of the car wash was left with a massive bill to clean out his water traps, hoses , and wash bays..

The owner denied all responsibility. Good company.
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
prairieflower
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by prairieflower »

MAPearce wrote:
Hmmmm.. 14 years ago , I pulled into the Sutherland ave car wash to was my cab. I followed one of their trucks into the bay as it pulled out.

I left COVERED in tar..The owner of the car wash was left with a massive bill to clean out his water traps, hoses , and wash bays..

The owner denied all responsibility. Good company.

Sorry for the owner of the business MAP....no one deserves that.

The OP was asking who they recommended for a roofer. We had our roof reshingled well. We had no problems with our roof being worked on. The quoted price was what we were told. The work was done well, very clean after as well.
Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catz »

Tar and gravel....who to go to....
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

Catz wrote:Tar and gravel....who to go to....

Is it a flat roof or just a low pitch? Ours was tar and gravel and we switched to shingles, they used a low slope application. If it is an older home you may have rot at the corners where the down spouts go through the eaves. We also kept the gravel that was on there to use in our landscape.
valleyguy

Post by valleyguy »

I have been in the industry for many years myself. KC's Contracting is excellent. So is Sean from I've Got Shingles Roofing. Pinnacle, Madge, Conroy Exteriors are all large companys with some very good crews. I don't think you could go wrong with any of these guys. Roofing isn't really that difficult. You deserve to get a great job done. Lots of options available with colours, underlayment, capping, venting etc. Just educate yourself and don't make any rushed decisions.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

So I meet someone who claims yes, he has a worksafe number and does roofing. Get a verbal quote. I want it in writing, gave email addy, send list of what for how much for garage roof and WORKSAFE number, you know, insurance you bought so I don't have to use mine if you break a leg.

No email. None. :purefury:

So I made a list out of the roofers listed here and am starting to make phone calls.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Just for your garage ?? Lemme know if you got left overs... Doing my garage soon and I'll buy them cheap.
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Roofing isn't really that difficult.

:dyinglaughing: In all my 22 years of roofing , I've never really had an easy day that I got paid for...
valleyguy

Post by valleyguy »

In all my 22 years of roofing , I've never really had an easy day that I got paid for...[/quote]

I agree that roofing is physically very demanding and everything is heavy. What I meant was that the work isn't rocket science. Sure some houses are more difficult than others but your average family home isn't that hard to work on. I meant no disrespect to you or anyone that has ever laid a shingle.. we all know what it's like.
valleyguy

Post by valleyguy »

MAPearce wrote:Just for your garage ?? Lemme know if you got left overs... Doing my garage soon and I'll buy them cheap.

Check with local suppliers as they usually have scrap or discontinued shingles they want to get rid of so they really mark down the price.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

I know...Putting down torch on roofing on my garage.

Found 10 full rolls and another 5 worth in halves and bits in a dumpster of all places.. Well over 2K's worth for free

Return to “Grab Bag”