Roofing companies

A potpourri of off-topics.
petspal
Fledgling

Re: Roofing companies

Post by petspal »

I very pleased with the response to my query...thank you so much
Keep the comments coming as I am still looking for a roofer that would be available for my small job
Some of my friends suggest using Sears....they just contract it out and I wonder which companies they have on their list of responsible roofers
Wally
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Wally »

I started asking this question about a year ago, after taking the advice of people in construction fields we have chosen to go with Ryder for our new flat roof, they start next week so I hope they would be worth referring, some of the others were real winners, we were close to choosing The Roof Dr also, but went with Ryder.
Going today, hear tommorow
Whyme2
Übergod

Post by Whyme2 »

Wally wrote:I started asking this question about a year ago, after taking the advice of people in construction fields we have chosen to go with Ryder for our new flat roof, they start next week so I hope they would be worth referring, some of the others were real winners, we were close to choosing The Roof Dr also, but went with Ryder.

Roof doctor gets your contract and then contracts out to other roofers in town. Be very carefully.
Last edited by Whyme2 on Jul 19th, 2012, 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
prairieflower
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by prairieflower »

We had our roof done by Ryder Roofing 14 years ago & would have them back for our next job in a heartbeat. No muss, no fuss, & no mess.

Where I work, we also use them for our commercial subcontracting works.

Good company!

pf.
petspal
Fledgling

Post by petspal »

Thank you thank you........
Panzer130
Board Meister

Post by Panzer130 »

I am an Award winning home builder in Kelowna with 30 years experience in the construction industry. With out question CSA Roofing
They've been in business in Kelowna for nearly 30 years
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

prairieflower wrote:We had our roof done by Ryder Roofing 14 years ago & would have them back for our next job in a heartbeat. No muss, no fuss, & no mess.

Where I work, we also use them for our commercial subcontracting works.

Good company!

pf.

X2. Ryders have been in Kelowna forever, and do great work at a fair price. They stand behind their work with a personal guarantee too.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
petspal
Fledgling

Post by petspal »

Has anyone ever dealt with Okanagan Sun Roofing ? They have an ad "wanted....Homes in need of re-rooing" to display a new metal system...
IBW

Post by IBW »

The BBB is a paid service so they want there paying customers to have a clean rating, some of whom should not. I would encourage you to phone the suppliers around town too, there are some companies that are being sued all over town by suppliers and homeowners and definitely should be avoided (one in particular is up to over $300,000 and still all over town quoting). Make sure that their WCB is paid up (http://www.worksafebc.com) otherwise if they fall off your roof you are liable. Make sure that they have insurance liability coverage should you house be damaged in any way. Never pay anything until the job is 100% complete, if they can't pay for the materials don't use them. You could ask for the address' of their last three jobs and knock on the door and ask the homeowner if they were happy with their service. If you just ask for a reference you never know who you are actually talking to. Make sure the quote lists what manufacturer the shingles are and lists the layers to tear off if more than one, underlayment, flashings included, shingles used and warranty, hip used, are new skylights included, any extras, workmanship warranty(keep in mind a "fly by night's" isn't worth the ink), price (+HST or not). Don't assume the lowest price is the best deal, there is often extra costs and/or problems.

Most, but not all, roofing contractors subcontract to shingle crews, this means: if the company was referred it may be a different subcontractor on every job. So how does the main company make sure that the subcontractor has Ins and WCB coverage? Keep in mind if Worksafe BC shows up and shuts them down your roof could be left open. I have also heard stories of the subcontractor not getting paid by the roofing company and showing up at the homeowners door or trying to lien the house.
Wally
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Wally »

Ryder came, did what they said they would for the price they said it would be, no muss, no fuss, it looks nice and clean. Two thumbs up from me.
Going today, hear tommorow
motorhomebabe
Lord of the Board

Post by motorhomebabe »

Used Ryder a few years ago . They were the cheapest of five estimates ,and they did a great job.Have to say we were leaning that way before we went into it cause we knew their rep. The price deal just clinched it.
petspal
Fledgling

Post by petspal »

I just must say that I have run in to some great companies in my search for obtaining a new roof. I would just like to commend Ryder Roofing, Tod Davidson of Okanagan Sun Roofing and Geoff Snow of Alpine Eavestroughing for being prompt,courteous and honest contractors to deal with. Things worked out very well for me as I am now very confident that I don't need a new roof just some readjusting of my eavestroughing. Initially I had a door to door salesman who told me I definitely needed a new roof...thanks to the two aforementioned roofing companies who were honest and told me my roof was fine . Hard to believe that roofing companies would say that your roof should last for many years yet
Thanks again for everyone's input
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I need a new roof on my garage, got an estimate for $2,800 for a 550 sq/ft garage, but that does include removing the underlay sheeting and replacing it, so down to the trusses and rebuilding from there.

I'll call some listed here for a comparision. oh, I didn't get any of it in writing either, been there done that, and it doesn't usually pan out.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Be careful Q.....That's ALOT of cash for 5 1/2 square...Do a compo ,HST,liability insurance AND BBB check on them....

Best to make sure that ,as you require , the people you pay can ,and will , prove they have the coverage you demand...

Just sayin.
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
sassybee
Board Meister

Recommend a Roofer?

Post by sassybee »

Is there some people out there who know of a quality roofer? Maybe know someone, or had a quality roof done that they would recommend the company? I know there seems to be a lot of "shady" roofers in this town.....

Return to “Grab Bag”