Gratuities in Kelowna - Can anyone explain?

A potpourri of off-topics.
bipdl
Board Meister

Re: Gratuities in Kelowna - Can anyone explain?

Post by bipdl »

Ditto that!
'Authority' is not a reason.
The most universally violated human right is the Right To Be Treated With Dignity.
Pffft, you humans. It's amazing you've made it this far. - Prot
dudlee
Übergod

Post by dudlee »

You want good restaurant food , just call Neptune or Sysco and cook it at home for 20% of the cost and you don't have to tip for cold over due food .if you like to drink or eat frit , this is the place . I hear that there is a new meat shop opening up that actually has owners that know what the hell they are talking about , soon .

Imagine real meat ,that is on this side of the lake , man I miss PIONEER MEATS . There is nothing bad at PIONEER MEATS
"A lie stated over a long enough period of time, becomes the truth" Adolf Hitler. But I say , "A half truth is a lie and there is always two sides to a story, but only one truth"
ZaftigBoy

Post by ZaftigBoy »

the best rule is to tip when you feel you have been given good service
here in kelowna many times a tip is expected but that is not something that is a rule

if the server has come and been coutieous and cared for your needs then a tip is a good idea
Live Balanced - Live Free - Live Kind - If you think thats hard try to sit on an egg
monroe
Übergod

Post by monroe »

dudlee wrote:Imagine real meat ,that is on this side of the lake , man I miss PIONEER MEATS . There is nothing bad at PIONEER MEATS

do you mean the pioneer meats on the west side off Ross road?? ...and by "miss", do you mean its no longer there??

If there is one place on this earth that does beef jerky that is truely addicting, its that place. My office was over there and for 3years we tried convincing the husband and wife team that ran it to package and sell their jerkey.
" ... Kind of weird but hey, weird is normal on castanet " - LANDM
1life2live

Post by 1life2live »

The whole business of tipping is absurd. I do tip for good service because that is what is customary in our society but realisticly the owners of the tipped establishments are making profits off the non living wages paid to their employees. Do I get a tip when I go to fix someones fridge or replace their roof, no. The cost of the service is built into the price of the service and we as consumers can decide up front wheather we want to employ that service. Tipped establishments need to do the same and pay their workers a "living" wage and adjust their billing accordingly and allow the consumer to make the choice wheather or not the cost is appropriate with their presence.
tarasbulba
Fledgling

Post by tarasbulba »

What I really don't undertsand is this tipping thing, I work hard at my job and do the best I can, I never get a tip, so many people work for the same wages as servers, they don't get tips, do you tip all the people that built your beautiful home, or fix your car, drive the transit bus and get you safely too and from work, NO, then why is it that servers get tips anyways, the people who cook the food don'tget tips, do you tip the chef, nope, how about the guy who washed your dishes so you have nice clean dishes, NO, how did this ever come to be, your doing a service that everyone else does but in a different way, you get the meals that are already cooked, transport them to the table, deliver drinks and then make sure everyone is happy, gee I do just about the same thing and I don't get tipped. Does anyone know where this started???????? and where this % thing started, ummmmmmmmmm
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

given the posts here I'm pretty sure tipping and the % didn't start in Kelowna :D
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
797hauler
Fledgling

Post by 797hauler »

tarasbulba wrote:What I really don't undertsand is this tipping thing, I work hard at my job and do the best I can, I never get a tip, so many people work for the same wages as servers, they don't get tips, do you tip all the people that built your beautiful home, or fix your car, drive the transit bus and get you safely too and from work, NO, then why is it that servers get tips anyways, the people who cook the food don'tget tips, do you tip the chef, nope, how about the guy who washed your dishes so you have nice clean dishes, NO, how did this ever come to be, your doing a service that everyone else does but in a different way, you get the meals that are already cooked, transport them to the table, deliver drinks and then make sure everyone is happy, gee I do just about the same thing and I don't get tipped. Does anyone know where this started???????? and where this % thing started, ummmmmmmmmm

YOU could not be more wrong...

What does it matter where it came from? and why servers get tips to where others do not, It is what it is, these people handle food, and when you said you dont tip the chef. (your wrong) The answer is yes, you tip the server who in turn tips the kitchen out a percentage. and the dishwasher gets tipped to, and the hostesses.

My wife works at coras, (not) in kelowna. and she tips out 3 percent to the kitchen everyday, her cash out is about $2000.00 a day, Thats $60 to the kitchen, do that from 8 servers they have $480-$500 the kitchen staff splits.

any how she walks with $200+ a day in just tips...she also works 5-6 days a week....she also deals with ALOT of A*******ish people everyday. so the tip is well deserved.
ZaftigBoy

Post by ZaftigBoy »

it is not fair that in that industry its expected to subsidize the people who work in it and the tip is misunderstood now it is an expectation no matter what or how you have been looked after and it is not fair that in other food places like mcdonalds or at the coffee shops people do not tip and yet you sometimes are getting far better service

i tip when it is a good job above and beyond just taking the order and bringing food is what is supposed to happen

i am sure others are frustrated as well as me

i bet 50 years and Granny dont jsut tip :purefury:
Live Balanced - Live Free - Live Kind - If you think thats hard try to sit on an egg
797hauler
Fledgling

Post by 797hauler »

ZaftigBoy wrote:it is not fair that in that industry its expected to subsidize the people who work in it and the tip is misunderstood now it is an expectation no matter what or how you have been looked after and it is not fair that in other food places like mcdonalds or at the coffee shops people do not tip and yet you sometimes are getting far better service

i tip when it is a good job above and beyond just taking the order and bringing food is what is supposed to happen

i am sure others are frustrated as well as me

i bet 50 years and Granny dont jsut tip :purefury:

Although people in mcdonalds and other fast food places dont get tipped, they just stand behind the counter,(cashiers anyway) they dont usually come out and clean your tables, plates, keep coming back and forth to your table to get you things, they also dont refill your drinks all the time. They (fast food) take your order, you step aside, you get your food and go sit down, eat your meal and then dump your tray on the way out the door. And then someone might come around through out the day and wipe that table if your lucky.

and as far as *I'M* concerned, if people get that upset about not getting tipped who are in the same industry, then the next time you go to a fast food joint, lead by example and tip...
ZaftigBoy

Post by ZaftigBoy »

but they give good service and they are pleasant and chat with you many times and hurry to put your things out on the platter at mcdonalds or when i go to the coffe houses on bernard they are very courteous and friendly and serve the coffee and ask if you would like something else and that is good service too

i think it is :bethecoffee:
sulchie
Fledgling

Post by sulchie »

boardsweeper wrote:YOU could not be more wrong...

What does it matter where it came from? and why servers get tips to where others do not, It is what it is, these people handle food, and when you said you dont tip the chef. (your wrong) The answer is yes, you tip the server who in turn tips the kitchen out a percentage. and the dishwasher gets tipped to, and the hostesses.

My wife works at coras, (not) in kelowna. and she tips out 3 percent to the kitchen everyday, her cash out is about $2000.00 a day, Thats $60 to the kitchen, do that from 8 servers they have $480-$500 the kitchen staff splits.

any how she walks with $200+ a day in just tips...she also works 5-6 days a week....she also deals with ALOT of A*******ish people everyday. so the tip is well deserved.

When I worked in the kitchen at Pappa's Roasters, we would never get any of the tips, even though the girls up front were getting them. One reason they went under, because no one wanted to work there.
797hauler
Fledgling

Post by 797hauler »

ZaftigBoy wrote:but they give good service and they are pleasant and chat with you many times and hurry to put your things out on the platter at mcdonalds or when i go to the coffe houses on bernard they are very courteous and friendly and serve the coffee and ask if you would like something else and that is good service too

i think it is :bethecoffee:

Then tip, they dont reject tips, you CAN tip fast food, people just dont do it.
ZaftigBoy

Post by ZaftigBoy »

but i do give them a little tip and it adds up as i am there most days and so are most people
so its only fair but you can go somewhere and they ignore you for the main time and then are
huffy when you do not tip :purefury:
797hauler
Fledgling

Post by 797hauler »

ZaftigBoy wrote:but i do give them a little tip and it adds up as i am there most days and so are most people
so its only fair but you can go somewhere and they ignore you for the main time and then are
huffy when you do not tip :purefury:

then their a crappy server, like I said before my wife walks with about $3k -$4k a month in just tips :123: Plus wage, and its NOT because she sucks and doing what she does....just depends on who you get I guess

Return to “Grab Bag”