Gratuities in Kelowna - Can anyone explain?

A potpourri of off-topics.
797hauler
Fledgling

Re: Gratuities in Kelowna - Can anyone explain?

Post by 797hauler »

Wooops! 3 and 2 close together,,, I meant 30%,,,, shoulda looked back but then again if you knew that I am not sure why you suggest you needed a course to do this then. And no, 16 isnt a lot but if you walk into a job that states 10 bucks an hour then you expect that, what else comes should be your gravy on top and if you are that much better then you can expect even more according to your ability to make people happy.
What does a gas jocky make? Does he/she get tips? My bet is they walk in at around 10 bucks an hour,,,,

what I dont get raodster is why doesnt anybody tip them? why complian about servers, when nobody is making the effort to tip others... seems like one person is unhappy becuase they dont get tipped and we all of a sudden have a big frenzy..
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) requires that Canadian workers--including waiters, waitresses or bartenders who receive tips or gratuities--report this money as regular income and pay the corresponding tax. Workplaces where tips are collected operate under one of two basic systems: a controlled tip system, where the employer keeps track of tips paid to employees, or a direct tip system, where employees keep track of their own tips.

Read more: How to Claim Tips on Taxes in Canada |
eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_6732005_claim-t ... z2EKGBgxSJ

This link provides answers on both systems...
1.) Controlled (like debit/credit tipping)
2.) Direct - where they received physical money
johnhenry
Übergod

Post by johnhenry »

boardsweeper wrote:(wife)12 years as a server never claimed a dime, get a refund every year! every situation is different, some claim the odd amount,some do not.

hey heres a thought, since EVERY establishment has a tip option on it, why are restuarants not being audited for the tip amounts paid on debit?

does the CRA REALLY CARE? and if they did, why are they not enforcing it?

The CRA does care. They are just short the manpower to audit all the servers. They do however audit the ones that brag about it or have someone to brag for them.
Last edited by johnhenry on Dec 6th, 2012, 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Words out of your mouth are like bullets out of a gun.
Once they are out, you can't take them back.
797hauler
Fledgling

Post by 797hauler »

[quote="Always Sunny"][quote]The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) requires that Canadian workers--including waiters, waitresses or bartenders who receive tips or gratuities--report this money as regular income and pay the corresponding tax. Workplaces where tips are collected operate under one of two basic systems: a controlled tip system, where the employer keeps track of tips paid to employees, or a direct tip system, where employees keep track of their own tips.

Im not saying they shouldnt, and i am aware that people should claim them, but they dont and cra doesnt seem to do anything about so...

whatever, WE are NOT going to claim them, not now or ever...

moving on :popcorn:
anniekate

Post by anniekate »

Career servers do their jobs at minimum wage (or lower) because they know that with good service their wage will be "topped up" by tips. An honest server claims their tips as income to the CRA at the end of the year. Ones who are concerned about paying extra taxes at year end can elect to have extra income tax deducted off each pay cheque. Any tip paid by debit or credit card is traceable.
ford150

Post by ford150 »

So, I guess your mechanic, dentist, grocer, store clerk or wherever you spend your money shouldn't pay income tax either???? If it's money earn during the course of your employment, it's employment income and subject to income tax.

BTW, even if the gas station owners didn't collect anything per litre, the prices wouldn't change much. Gas stations make most of their income from the store not from the fuel sales.[/quote]

Perhaps I wasn’t clear, I view the loonie as a gift. I would pay my mechanic for the repair which he would pay income tax on. If I felt he had done an exceptional job I may buy him a case of beer or something as a token of my appreciation, a gift. I wouldn’t expect him to claim it as income. Other posters have said that revenue Canada considers tips income, as such they should be honest about it and pay tax like everyone else. I can however understand the temptation to not be completely honest as the actual amount would be hard for anyone to determine.
johnhenry
Übergod

Post by johnhenry »

ford150 wrote:So, I guess your mechanic, dentist, grocer, store clerk or wherever you spend your money shouldn't pay income tax either???? If it's money earn during the course of your employment, it's employment income and subject to income tax.

BTW, even if the gas station owners didn't collect anything per litre, the prices wouldn't change much. Gas stations make most of their income from the store not from the fuel sales.

Perhaps I wasn’t clear, I view the loonie as a gift. I would pay my mechanic for the repair which he would pay income tax on. If I felt he had done an exceptional job I may buy him a case of beer or something as a token of my appreciation, a gift. I wouldn’t expect him to claim it as income. Other posters have said that revenue Canada considers tips income, as such they should be honest about it and pay tax like everyone else. I can however understand the temptation to not be completely honest as the actual amount would be hard for anyone to determine.[/quote]

Servers know exactly how much they make in tips every shift, even on a split shift.
johnhenry
Übergod

Post by johnhenry »

boardsweeper wrote:
You need to seriously, STOP taking everything I say and spinning it into something else, and ALOT of forum users seem to be doing fine, just becuase you cant get over the fact that we dont claim all of my wifes tips doesnt give you the right to be a jerk. grow up

Board sweeper said:
(wife)12 years as a server never claimed a dime, get a refund every year! every situation is different, some claim the odd amount,some do not.

How am I spinning anything, you can't even get your story straight. So what is it, never claimed a dime or never claimed ALL of your wife's tips?
LivinginKelowna
Board Meister

Post by LivinginKelowna »

I personally do not feel that servers are ENTITLED to anything other than their wage.

Yet you are guilt-ed into providing them with an extra amount of money over and above what you are paying the restaurant.

Why is this?

What makes them feel Entitled to any extra money?

-Is it the fact that they do their job to the best of their ability?

-Do they further and better themselves on a constant basis through upgrading?

As far as I can tell, they write down your order, bring your order to you and provide you with a beverage

And before everyone jumps on me, there are a lot of jobs (in fact the majority of them) that have the exact same requirements.

Someone comes to you
You sell them something
They pay
They leave

YOU are responsible for ensuring that the experience is pleasant and makes the customer want to come back to maintain sales. Which in turn, allows the business to stay open and YOU to stay employed.

What makes a restaurant server feel more entitled than anyone else who provides this service?

There are a heck of a lot more people out there that deal with people (and a lot of them are not on the nice side) and receive no TIPS for a job well done
797hauler
Fledgling

Post by 797hauler »

LivinginKelowna wrote:I personally do not feel that servers are ENTITLED to anything other than their wage.

Yet you are guilt-ed into providing them with an extra amount of money over and above what you are paying the restaurant.

Why is this?

What makes them feel Entitled to any extra money?

-Is it the fact that they do their job to the best of their ability?

-Do they further and better themselves on a constant basis through upgrading?

As far as I can tell, they write down your order, bring your order to you and provide you with a beverage

And before everyone jumps on me, there are a lot of jobs (in fact the majority of them) that have the exact same requirements.

Someone comes to you
You sell them something
They pay
They leave

YOU are responsible for ensuring that the experience is pleasant and makes the customer want to come back to maintain sales. Which in turn, allows the business to stay open and YOU to stay employed.

What makes a restaurant server feel more entitled than anyone else who provides this service?

There are a heck of a lot more people out there that deal with people (and a lot of them are not on the nice side) and receive no TIPS for a job well done

rather then any of you posting on how you feel servers dont deserve a tip. save your key strokes from now on and dont tip your server anymore. its how life is. STOP taking me down a notch for commenting on this thread. I told you guys how * I * feel, and whether we claim tips or not. alot of people feel they provide a good service so they should get a tip. Corporate events are always being held where a gratuity is required, even a limo driver gets a gartuity. subway locations have a jar, a&w have a tip jar, quiznos has a jar.I just spent the last two days kid free, and we ate out LOTS, just to see.... so more and more places are leaving out a jar. (fast food) so stop and look around, its not just servers anymore.

for the ones that are STILL complaining about servers getting a tip..

Lets start taking down subway, A&W, Quiznos, limo drivers, tim hortons, starbucks, five guys burger and fries, edo japan. opa of greece, anyone want to add anywhere I've missed out... most of these locations have jars beside the tills...and for what its worth they provide more or less of the same service, and fast food does way less work then your server does....

So to complete my last post on this thread, And call me out all you want, your being a bunch of babies....

just because a SERVER has the name SERVER... doesnt mean their the only ones getting a tip, and if your in an industry that doesnt get a tip, quit being a baby and go get a job where they DO tip you then...

your just a bunch of over, self entitled bunch of babies who are clearly jealous...
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

Jealouse of a ten dollar an hour job that might make it to Sixteen bucks, if yer good? I think not :dyinglaughing:

I know I would have to work my butt off to make 16 bucks an hour serving food and its not in me to do so. I pick jobs that state my wages up front, dont need to depend on a tip then.

And it never was just servers that got tips, its the servers that seem to have a problem if those tips arent served up with every meal even if the service was crappy, we heard it already, one server said it should come anyway, just not at 20 percent maybe,,, ha, it is given on service level not a promise of any kind. We not yer boss. Deal with him if you dont make enough.

I said many times, its rare the service is bad enough for me to walk out without leaving one but when its really bad then ya, nothing, I already paid yer wages on th bill. Do I tip over the 20 or so percent? Yes when its awesome service, is that rare,,, ya you might say that, its not often anyway.

Whether you claim your tips or not doesnt affect me but its sure to bite you in the bum when they spot it. Those pay cheques would be marked as coming from a restaurant right? Unless thats all under the table too, if not then ya, they will spot it, might be a good idea to stash some bucks away for that day and if they never do spot it you got a retirement fund started :dyinglaughing:

They just started checking out servers in Ontario a short while back, google it, many were caught stiffing the tax system and are now paying. No I dont agree a tip should be taxed, its a gift in my mind for excellent service but its taxable anyway so you shouldnt say much about your policy on that,,, some secrets are best kept as secrets.
♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post
johnhenry
Übergod

Post by johnhenry »

Not jealous, just wondering why you feel you are exempt from the rules when it comes to paying taxes. Is it a sense of entitlement that I detect? And by the way, a jar beside the till is no match for what a server pulls in direct from a customer. Also nice to see that on your "kid free days" you took that poor hard working woman out for a real treat. Did you leave a tip?
Teaps
Board Meister

Post by Teaps »

My question is this. If anyone has no intention of tipping at all to begin with, then what does it matter to you if the service is good or not?

Put yourselves in the shoes of a 19-22 year old female student who had the choice of A. Working at McDonald's B. Working at a restaurant.

Let's examine these choices, remember, you are a 19-22 year old female student.

A. McDonald's gives you absolutely zero people skills and you don't have to be a good server because nobody expects tippable service. Your starting wage is $11.00/hr and you work 25 hours a week for a typical paycheck of $550 biweekly. Pretty decent paycheck

B. Working at a restaurant, give you experience working with customers and lets you learn many people skills. Provide what people EXPECT to be tippable service. Your starting wage is $8.00/hr at IF YOU'RE LUCKY, 15 hours per week for a typical check of $240.00 bi weekly.

Now, tell me why these girls SHOULDN'T expect to be tipped?

Having a girl wait on you is a luxury. If you want Luxury, Then you sure as damn well better tip them! If you don't want to tip, then STAY THE HELL AT HOME AND COOK, nobody TOLD you to go out for dinner/lunch; these girl's boss's TOLD them to wait on your sorry butts regardless of your attitude towards tipping.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Teaps wrote:A. McDonald's gives you absolutely zero people skills

I don't know where you get this stat from, but from what I've read working at McDonald's means will either learn people skills fast or end up quitting in short order (McDonald's customers are some of the worst out there).

P.S. Let's do some math here:
1) We assume for argument's sake that 50% of people don't tip.
2) Everyone of them listens to you and stays home.

Guess what happens... at least 30% of servers, cooks, and restaurant owners become unemployed. Ouch, maybe non-tippers weren't so bad after all.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
LivinginKelowna
Board Meister

Post by LivinginKelowna »

Teaps wrote:My question is this. If anyone has no intention of tipping at all to begin with, then what does it matter to you if the service is good or not?

Put yourselves in the shoes of a 19-22 year old female student who had the choice of A. Working at McDonald's B. Working at a restaurant.

Let's examine these choices, remember, you are a 19-22 year old female student.

A. McDonald's gives you absolutely zero people skills and you don't have to be a good server because nobody expects tippable service. Your starting wage is $11.00/hr and you work 25 hours a week for a typical paycheck of $550 biweekly. Pretty decent paycheck

B. Working at a restaurant, give you experience working with customers and lets you learn many people skills. Provide what people EXPECT to be tippable service. Your starting wage is $8.00/hr at IF YOU'RE LUCKY, 15 hours per week for a typical check of $240.00 bi weekly.

Now, tell me why these girls SHOULDN'T expect to be tipped?

Having a girl wait on you is a luxury. If you want Luxury, Then you sure as damn well better tip them! If you don't want to tip, then STAY THE HELL AT HOME AND COOK, nobody TOLD you to go out for dinner/lunch; these girl's boss's TOLD them to wait on your sorry butts regardless of your attitude towards tipping.

What???

I wonder how the restaurant owners would feel if people were not coming to their establishments because of the attitude you have

Return to “Grab Bag”