Gratuities in Kelowna - Can anyone explain?

A potpourri of off-topics.
ford150

Re: Gratuities in Kelowna - Can anyone explain?

Post by ford150 »

At first I thought --income taxes are deducted from my pay before I get it then I pay tax again on all my purchases why would a server not be income taxed on their tips.
But then I thought hey I already paid the income tax on that loonie I’m leaving as a gift why should this server pay tax on it again?
BTW I haven’t been in a restaurant for probably three years as I leave most of the money i used to have for special treats at the gas station. You business owners should talk to the gas station owners they are stealing from you.
WhenWhatWho
Banned

Post by WhenWhatWho »

ford150 wrote:At first I thought --income taxes are deducted from my pay before I get it then I pay tax again on all my purchases why would a server not be income taxed on their tips.
But then I thought hey I already paid the income tax on that loonie I’m leaving as a gift why should this server pay tax on it again?
BTW I haven’t been in a restaurant for probably three years as I leave most of the money i used to have for special treats at the gas station. You business owners should talk to the gas station owners they are stealing from you.

So, I guess your mechanic, dentist, grocer, store clerk or wherever you spend your money shouldn't pay income tax either???? If it's money earn during the course of your employment, it's employment income and subject to income tax.

BTW, even if the gas station owners didn't collect anything per litre, the prices wouldn't change much. Gas stations make most of their income from the store not from the fuel sales.
797hauler
Fledgling

Post by 797hauler »

*try again without the personal attacks/Jo*
797hauler
Fledgling

Post by 797hauler »

So, I guess your mechanic, dentist, grocer, store clerk or wherever you spend your money shouldn't pay income tax either???? If it's money earn during the course of your employment, it's employment income and subject to income tax.

your pushing the boundries of picking fights here, these individuals dont get tipped, your statment clearly is in regards to regular wage. :backtotopic:

BTW, even if the gas station owners didn't collect anything per litre, the prices wouldn't change much. Gas stations make most of their income from the store not from the fuel sales.

says who?
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

In the States tips must be reported to employers, and they will adjust tax and pension deductions accordingly. In the eyes of the law there is no difference between a regular wage and a tip.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
johnhenry
Übergod

Post by johnhenry »

boardsweeper, you are the one that just doesn't get it. All income is taxable, period.
Words out of your mouth are like bullets out of a gun.
Once they are out, you can't take them back.
797hauler
Fledgling

Post by 797hauler »

Glacier wrote:In the States tips must be reported to employers, and they will adjust tax and pension deductions accordingly. In the eyes of the law there is no difference between a regular wage and a tip.

should canada do this, I would be okay with it.
797hauler
Fledgling

Post by 797hauler »

johnhenry wrote:boardsweeper, you are the one that just doesn't get it. All income is taxable, period.

No I get it, but just because all income should be taxed doesnt mean its easy for the average joe to do it.

If you came to start arguing take yourself on a different thread.
johnhenry
Übergod

Post by johnhenry »

Words out of your mouth are like bullets out of a gun.
Once they are out, you can't take them back.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

boardsweeper wrote:Should canada do this, I would be okay with it.

Canada does the same.

The only exception is when tips are given in cash - then the employee just keeps it and spends it thus avoiding taxes.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

boardsweeper wrote:Im done with you, you dont get it. (or your just rude) I dont care if a server gets taxed or not, just saying who cares.

and I never said cora's deliver, im talking pizza, chinesse or what have you....

Your prepared to pay more then $3.75 for a tip to a delivery driver/ that $3.75 the store charges goes to the driver, and most drivers are young kids still in school, so you can scrap the thought of them claiming there tips, even the older folks probably dont claim their tips.

anyhow Im more likley to respond to other people who will take the time to READ whats been writtin :clueless:

I'm sorry, but I've been nothing but pleasant to you. Don't resort to feet stomping and littering posts with emoticons to make your point.

Please explain to me how I am being rude. I invite any other poster here to comment as well about the tone of my posts.

You have posted...
"I'm done with you"
"You don't get it:"
"Your (sic) just rude"
"If you came to start arguing take yourself on a different thread"

Many other posters share a similar view with me. The one that has your back is constantly having their posts pulled. There is a way to state your point in a mature way. I've read your posts, I quote them, I highlight specific points within your posts...and you're back on here responding to me. I don't think you have an issue responding to what I've written.
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

boardsweeper wrote:

well 29% is what is taxed, and for the recored roadster, in another forum "alberta workers" it was said that we would be moving back to bc, which we are in a month. so I used that as a primary place as we ARE coming home. with that said its still minimum wage, and it pays the same in alberta..

And I agree they do get hired at minimum wage, and it really does go, up with the tips when you span it over an hourly wage. However $16 isnt a alot. average really.

MY BIG question to all, is why do you care whether its taxed at the source or at a store, why do you want it taxed more often?

Wooops! 3 and 2 close together,,, I meant 30%,,,, shoulda looked back but then again if you knew that I am not sure why you suggest you needed a course to do this then. And no, 16 isnt a lot but if you walk into a job that states 10 bucks an hour then you expect that, what else comes should be your gravy on top and if you are that much better then you can expect even more according to your ability to make people happy.
What does a gas jocky make? Does he/she get tips? My bet is they walk in at around 10 bucks an hour,,,,
♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post
797hauler
Fledgling

Post by 797hauler »

Canada does the same.

The only exception is when tips are given in cash - then the employee just keeps it and spends it thus avoiding taxes.

(wife)12 years as a server never claimed a dime, get a refund every year! every situation is different, some claim the odd amount,some do not.

hey heres a thought, since EVERY establishment has a tip option on it, why are restuarants not being audited for the tip amounts paid on debit?

does the CRA REALLY CARE? and if they did, why are they not enforcing it?
797hauler
Fledgling

Post by 797hauler »

Always Sunny wrote:Why complain so passionately about servers paying taxes while you don't care about paying $3k-$4k a month in tax?

Where are you getting this figure of $3.75 from? Cora's does delivery?

If I choose to have my food delivered to my house rather than picking it up I'm prepared to pay a premium for it. If I think the driver was particularly friendly and efficient, I might just tip for that too.

Do I hope that they would claim their tips. You bet.

then where did this come from?

Why say this then?

I never said anything that would have resualted in a response like this.
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

boardsweeper wrote:

No I get it, but just because all income should be taxed doesnt mean its easy for the average joe to do it.

If you came to start arguing take yourself on a different thread.

There are lots of tax prep offices around the city, I am sure most who dont know how would go there,,, any who would choose not to claim because they Dont know how would find themselves wanting to learn fast after they bin caught, or,,, have a pro do it.
♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post

Return to “Grab Bag”