Gratuities in Kelowna - Can anyone explain?

A potpourri of off-topics.
Roadster
Time waster at work

Re: Gratuities in Kelowna - Can anyone explain?

Post by Roadster »

theyeti wrote:well if anyone could live off the wages paid ....

Well here's the thing, you look for a wage you can live off of,,, say it ten bucks or its twenty, if it works for you and tips are a bonus in the package then party on, mean while its odd for anyone to work for ten if they couldnt survive off of it. You cant count on gifts to carry you through unless you work at a nice place where customers feel welcome and you are able to earn gifts. Its time you see that and look around for something you can count on like your wages. There are labour jobs that will run you off your feet just about as much, maybe less, that take less thinking even and will pay more or at least equal if you include your average take home with tips.
Lets put it this way, a gas store worker probably gets ten,,, no tips,,,, you get ten with a bonus when you show you care,,, but, the gas guy is supposed to show he cares too, right? So if he can agree ten is good knowing ten is it and you agree ten is good knowing tips could be included then you are already doing better then he, :nyah:

And to Hmmmm,,, I dont care if the workers have Expected tips since before Jesus was a baby, its still a gift to the worker or as we are being told here, the establishment for a service well done. Those places dont own our wallets or its contents, when its open and extras are offered smile and say Thanks! Its your bonus and bonuses are only a given of you work in the upper managements of big corporations and you know how to skim it from the rest. Do you Expect a certain value under your Christmas tree too? If so you have no understanding what gifting is all about.

I dont get why people think this way. I picked every job I have ever had knowing what my take home was, if someone gifted our office or establishment it was a surprise, it was much appreciated and I never forgot how nice it was, but You expect it and when its not enough in your mind you complain its not enough,,, very odd.
♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post
theyeti
Übergod

Post by theyeti »

ive never worked a day indoors so i know nothing about being a waitress but i hear the job pays 10 bucks so i tip em when they hurry ! i dont understand the argument (and its a bad one ) that they get paid a wage and thats that . no one can live that wage so it is not part of the equation . if they do good on tips they can live off that
twofingers
Board Meister

Post by twofingers »

Well, here we are - full circle.
The practice of tipping was once tied to the willingness and the ability of the wait staff (in particular) to perform well and offer exemplary service; it was never a "given" until this generation of spoiled little brats came into the work world.
After all, they have always had everything they ever wanted (and then some) handed to them on a silver platter by a generation of parents that is working hard to provide for them, and thinks that their lack of parenting skills can be made up for by monetary rewards.
Look at it this way - again, I was in a medium - to - high end restaurant in Kelowna on Saturday, The servers were so busy babbling amongst themselves and texting to their pals that we sat and sat and sat with no acknowledgement whatsoever. To top it off, the shift manager was part of the discussion. I am sure that, if we had stayed, (we didn't), that they would have expected a 25% tax free tip so they could upgrade their cell phone or buy another pair of Uggs.
Relocate that scenario to Spokane, Seattle, Portland, Wenatchee, or San Francisco. Oh yeah - the workers there are happy to have a job and go out of their way to make your experience in their establishment as enjoyable as possible. Tip? You bet!
No different than the retail experience in some stores in Kelowna's Torture Park vs. a Nordstrom's store in any US city. Ever wonder why the American tourists are turned off by their esperiences in Canada?
frellingdren
Fledgling

Post by frellingdren »

twofingers wrote:Well, here we are - full circle.
The practice of tipping was once tied to the willingness and the ability of the wait staff (in particular) to perform well and offer exemplary service; it was never a "given" until this generation of spoiled little brats came into the work world.
After all, they have always had everything they ever wanted (and then some) handed to them on a silver platter by a generation of parents that is working hard to provide for them, and thinks that their lack of parenting skills can be made up for by monetary rewards.
Look at it this way - again, I was in a medium - to - high end restaurant in Kelowna on Saturday, The servers were so busy babbling amongst themselves and texting to their pals that we sat and sat and sat with no acknowledgement whatsoever. To top it off, the shift manager was part of the discussion. I am sure that, if we had stayed, (we didn't), that they would have expected a 25% tax free tip so they could upgrade their cell phone or buy another pair of Uggs.
Relocate that scenario to Spokane, Seattle, Portland, Wenatchee, or San Francisco. Oh yeah - the workers there are happy to have a job and go out of their way to make your experience in their establishment as enjoyable as possible. Tip? You bet!
No different than the retail experience in some stores in Kelowna's Torture Park vs. a Nordstrom's store in any US city. Ever wonder why the American tourists are turned off by their esperiences in Canada?

Give it a rest, gramps. The Boomer generation has been the most me-me-me generation of all time. Ever wonder where the youngsters of today learned their selfish ways?

Or to put it another way....
“Our youth now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for their elders and love chatter in place of exercise; they no longer rise when elders enter the room; they contradict their parents, chatter before company; gobble up their food and tyrannize their teachers.”

― Socrates
I'm not even supposed to be here. I'm just "Crewman Number Six." I'm expendable. I'm the guy in the episode who dies to prove how serious the situation is. I've gotta get outta here.
twofingers
Board Meister

Post by twofingers »

Touche
Panzer130
Board Meister

Post by Panzer130 »

Hmmm......

T.I.P = To Ensure Promptness.
Tips have not "always been expected". People used to tip in advance to get better service.

My problem with the tip program now is you are expected to tip. In fact, some have stated "if you can't afford to tip, don't eat out". It is this type of attitude that creates a negative feeling about tipping.

Here's how I look at tipping:

The service industry is one of the only industries where I control the amount paid for services rendered. For example, if I go to the grocery store and the check out clerk is slow, disorganized, and screws up and rings my product up twice, I still pay full price for my groceries.

However, when I go out for diner, if my server does the same thing, I only pay for the product served and no tip. That server has now just been paid for the minimum effort provided.
On the other hand, if the server provides excellent service, they can make double their wage.

What bothers me in this town is servers who say Hi, take your order, drop it on the table and stop by with a bill and expect a 15% tip. These 3 steps are the bare minimum requirements of the job and are worth minimum wage - nothing more.

In regards to pooling or splitting tips. In my opinion, this is not a reason to increase tip percentages. The cooks, Busers, and Bartenders play a vital role in ensuring the server gets a tip. If the food is bad, it will be reflected in the tip (unfortunate for the server).
797hauler
Fledgling

Post by 797hauler »

Panzer130 wrote:Hmmm......

Tips have not "always been expected". People used to tip in advance to get better service.

My problem with the tip program now is you are expected to tip. In fact, some have stated "if you can't afford to tip, don't eat out". It is this type of attitude that creates a negative feeling about tipping.

Here's how I look at tipping:

The service industry is one of the only industries where I control the amount paid for services rendered. For example, if I go to the grocery store and the check out clerk is slow, disorganized, and screws up and rings my product up twice, I still pay full price for my groceries.

However, when I go out for diner, if my server does the same thing, I only pay for the product served and no tip. That server has now just been paid for the minimum effort provided.
On the other hand, if the server provides excellent service, they can make double their wage.

What bothers me in this town is servers who say Hi, take your order, drop it on the table and stop by with a bill and expect a 15% tip. These 3 steps are the bare minimum requirements of the job and are worth minimum wage - nothing more.

In regards to pooling or splitting tips. In my opinion, this is not a reason to increase tip percentages. The cooks, Busers, and Bartenders play a vital role in ensuring the server gets a tip. If the food is bad, it will be reflected in the tip (unfortunate for the server).

IDK why some of you think its expected on bad service.EVERY person is also different. a server knows if she gonna get a tip or not, I just went out 4:30pm, myself, wife and kids in tow, anyhow Food was terrible(I know she didnt cook it) beer was warm.server never came to check on us once.

anyway tip amount $0.00...........
Dash5
Übergod

Post by Dash5 »

Panzer130 wrote:Hmmm......

Seriously? Wouldn't that make it a T.E.P.? I think the word you are looking for is "Insure" not "Ensure". Regardless, the point is moot because the word "tip" is NOT an acronym.

http://www.snopes.com/language/acronyms/tip.asp
KENDRABUG

Post by KENDRABUG »

BoB76 wrote:I tip on hotness. If the server isn't afraid to show some cleavage than I'm willing to tip!

That is absolutely disgusting. Women are more then bodies and should be treated as such. They shouldn't have to objectify themselves just to earn a tip. Seriously disgusting.
twofingers
Board Meister

Post by twofingers »

That is absolutely disgusting. Women are more then bodies and should be treated as such. They shouldn't have to objectify themselves just to earn a tip. Seriously disgusting.[/quote]

Perhaps it is purely coincidental that the young girls at most of the mid-to-high end restaurants in Kelowna dress as they do. They are certainly encouraged by the management to dress like they do; if there was not a direct connection between the level of the neckline, the level of the hem, and the level of the tip, I am sure these young women would object!
As the fashionistas say, "Thank God for the simple little black dress!"
KENDRABUG

Post by KENDRABUG »

KENDRABUG wrote:That is absolutely disgusting. Women are more then bodies and should be treated as such. They shouldn't have to objectify themselves just to earn a tip. Seriously disgusting.

wrote:Perhaps it is purely coincidental that the young girls at most of the mid-to-high end restaurants in Kelowna dress as they do. They are certainly encouraged by the management to dress like they do; if there was not a direct connection between the level of the neckline, the level of the hem, and the level of the tip, I am sure these young women would object!
As the fashionistas say, "Thank God for the simple little black dress!"

Actually I have heard of many stories, and even had a conversation with my waitress at the restaurant, where they don't feel comfortable in what they are forced to wear as the 'uniform' but they need to in order to keep their job because it's hard to get one here these days.
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

BoB76 wrote:I tip on hotness. If the server isn't afraid to show some cleavage than I'm willing to tip!

KENDRABUG
That is absolutely disgusting. Women are more then bodies and should be treated as such. They shouldn't have to objectify themselves just to earn a tip. Seriously disgusting.

Relax, it's BoB,,, he is ugly (see mug shot near his posts) and he drives an old rusty green and yellow toyota pick up with fenders that flap in the wind at 20k,,, its all the hope he's got to happiness. :dyinglaughing:
♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post
twofingers
Board Meister

Post by twofingers »

Isn't Cleavage the capital of Ohio?
crookedmember
Banned

Post by crookedmember »

KENDRABUG wrote:That is absolutely disgusting. Women are more then bodies and should be treated as such. They shouldn't have to objectify themselves just to earn a tip. Seriously disgusting.

He's just being honest. I'm sure most men--either consciously or subconsciously--tip better if the waitress is attractive or shows a little skin.
All posts 100% moderator approved!
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I know a woman in Kamloops who quit her job as a server because her boss was pressuring her to show cleavage even though she was not comfortable dressing immodestly. I'm sure this is not an isolated case.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray

Return to “Grab Bag”