Gratuities in Kelowna - Can anyone explain?

A potpourri of off-topics.
Busdriver1964
Fledgling

Re: Gratuities in Kelowna - Can anyone explain?

Post by Busdriver1964 »

Somewhere in the Mix I missed the response to why do waiters and hairdressers get a tip. I know as a kid i worked way harder as a gas jocky then a lot of waiters and rarely got a tip
(but was shocked and very appreciative when I did)

I know they usually get get get minimum or a very low wage.. but( and I am not saying it is an easy job) how long does it take train for there job???

I work hard and trained for a long time to get my job which relies on customer service.... Where is my tip?????????????????????
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

And whats more I always thought waiting was a beginner kind of job, where young people did it then moved on to something way better. I was lucky I jumped right into a career at 17 so I never had to do that kind of work that calls for tips and if I did it would have been short term anyway cos there are better gaurenteed wages somewhere. I have moved for work to make sure I got the best wages I could. Hated having to move from a place I liked but it was worth it. In the end I am here now for life I hope and want to retire here.
Meanwhile I dont know where tipping started or who decided it should be a certain percentage but I have never followed that rule. I tip well for excellent service as I have in every province I have been in and I dont tip well or at all for crappy service which is rare, its usually Ok service or a slight better then Ok and they get tipped for what it is.
As far as them getting stiffed at "tip out" time, thats wrong, if its on the servers to make a good tip then let it be theirs,,, if its gotta be tipped out at the end of the shift then let that hang on all of them instead and there is just no fumbling with cash from anyone's pocket, thats still what gets me, if they all deserve what the server worked for up front then they all should take the loss too. He/she (the server) shouldnt be left to guarentee any percentage of tips to anyone.
The cooks can claim all they want that they deserve tips too, then maybe they should tip out on a bad day since they already make more and a "No tip" situation might just very well be because their food was crappy. Why should the server be blamed for everything that can go bad in a day?
And I wont go into the dine and dash insurance policy laid on some servers again right now but thats another big beef of mine.
Time the bosses look at that and at the same time they can keep their fingers out of it and let the workers take in whats made in tips. Boss can write stuff off if she/he needs.
♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post
797hauler
Fledgling

Post by 797hauler »

mikett744 wrote:Somewhere in the Mix I missed the response to why do waiters and hairdressers get a tip. I know as a kid i worked way harder as a gas jocky then a lot of waiters and rarely got a tip
(but was shocked and very appreciative when I did)

I know they usually get get get minimum or a very low wage.. but( and I am not saying it is an easy job) how long does it take train for there job???

I work hard and trained for a long time to get my job which relies on customer service.... Where is my tip?????????????????????

I think Where you missed the response was in some of the posts that have already been posted ("not to be rude")...* I * think people who handle your food deserve the tip for doing what they do,then ensure QUALITY control (well they should) I know my wife actually LOOKS at the plate before she leaves the pass. And the purpose is so you dont eat something you dont want to. now as a waitress/waiter you deal with alot, Not saying there aren't other jobs that aren't stressful, however as a society its become common to leave a tip. It can take a server a couple weeks to train depending on the system the establishment is using. Its just how it is. so although Im sure you work hard, no tip for you.. its how its is, you could also change career paths. I posted in an earlier post on how much my wife makes in just tips.
Busdriver1964
Fledgling

Post by Busdriver1964 »

I * think people who handle your food deserve the tip for doing what they do,then ensure QUALITY control

Because they handle our food they are entitled to a tip. A bus driver has your life in his hands. Does he get a tip?
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

They ensure quality control? I think thats what the boss would ensure by training his staff well and ensuring they have courses like Food Safe and they work well as a server to bring him back his customers again, they are ordering it up and bringing it to your table and billing you. Most of them are young and its a job like any job.
I have been to places where this quality control person you speak of had food on her shirt, fingers inside of glasses while bringing them to us, fingers on the food surfice side of the plates while bringing them, forgot to wash a table... They serve food, if its not done right they dont deserve a tip, if it is they do deserve a tip, their boss should be all over that.
♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post
Pookybear
Übergod

Post by Pookybear »

boardsweeper wrote:
I think Where you missed the response was in some of the posts that have already been posted ("not to be rude")...*I * think people who handle your food deserve the tip for doing what they do,then ensure QUALITY control (well they should) I know my wife actually LOOKS at the plate before she leaves the pass. And the purpose is so you dont eat something you dont want to. now as a waitress/waiter you deal with alot, Not saying there aren't other jobs that aren't stressful, however as a society its become common to leave a tip. It can take a server a couple weeks to train depending on the system the establishment is using. Its just how it is. so although Im sure you work hard, no tip for you.. its how its is, you could also change career paths. I posted in an earlier post on how much my wife makes in just tips.

How ridiculous. It is a servers job to ensure quality control of the food they are serving, they do not deserve a tip to get them to do their job properly. There are many more important jobs out there where we expect workers to do their jobs well so we don't have to worry that quality control was overlooked cause they are not getting a tip. Could you imagine a trades person not doing their job well and ensuring quality control on a building they are working on because they feel entitled to a tip or more money then they are getting. Hopefully the roof won't cave in on you. What about doctors, nurses, good teacher? Should they only care about quality control providing they are going to get something out of it? Your wife doing her job does not mean she is entitled to a tip.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

boardsweeper wrote: like I said before my wife walks with about $3k -$4k a month in just tips :123: Plus wage,

:200:
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

boardsweeper wrote: like I said before my wife walks with about $3k -$4k a month in just tips :123: Plus wage,

And of course she declares the tips as income, right?
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Lol - sure, H20babe, sure they do.

Well, I certainly feel better now knowing wait staff aren't starving when I don't tip. Phew! I was almost beginning to feel guilty about kids with no shoes and going hungry to school.

And, of course, since they declare all this income, they don't access any public program funding intended for the poor and low income folks, do they? No HST rebates, no Carbon Tax rebates, etc, either.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

yes...3k to 4k tax free a mth ??? kind of changes everything I ever thought about tipping now...especially when going out to eat is now a "luxury" and we can't afford to do it very often...hmm...sometimes it's best to keep some things to yourself :)
797hauler
Fledgling

Post by 797hauler »

Because they handle our food they are entitled to a tip. A bus driver has your life in his hands. Does he get a tip?

I dont know, do you tip them? I dont take the bus. Feel free to tip if you dont. anybody can tip anyone in any industry if they choose to.. quit being so rediculious. just because people dont tip certin people, doesnt mean they cant be tipped. again lead by example then. start tipping gas jockeys, mcdonalds employees ect ect...then. who really cares. its just a culture and expected now that servers get a tip, and if you feel their no different, then dont tip your server anymore. :win:

Oh I forgot, had breakfast this morning at coras, wife got a $20 tip on a $32 bill she said...lol
797hauler
Fledgling

Post by 797hauler »

And of course she declares the tips as income, right?

Um no... of course not...take the money and :runforlife:
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

^^^So when CRA starts auditing all Cora employees for undeclared income, they'll know who to thank.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
797hauler
Fledgling

Post by 797hauler »

westside105 wrote:yes...3k to 4k tax free a mth ??? kind of changes everything I ever thought about tipping now...especially when going out to eat is now a "luxury" and we can't afford to do it very often...hmm...sometimes it's best to keep some things to yourself :)

if you guys want to start delrailing the thread thats fine. :ohmygod:

Not every server makes that kind of money, and we live in a city of 1.5 million people. so its generally extremly busy, she also works in a mall where foot traffic is very heavy.

I'll keep myself off this thread from now on, but do remember this, my wife doesnt care if people tip or not, she provides an excellent service. However if you keep going to an establishment and keep failing to tip, some servers and kitchen staff wont be so nice to you. If you know what I mean.

take into account, establishment size, location, brand name, and service quality. good luck in your guys restuarant experience's. :130:

oh...get real oneh2obabe.
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

boardsweeper wrote:if you guys want to start delrailing the thread thats fine. :ohmygod:

Not every server makes that kind of money, and we live in a city of 1.5 million people. so its generally extremly busy, she also works in a mall where foot traffic is very heavy.

I'll keep myself off this thread from now on, but do remember this, my wife doesnt care if people tip or not, she provides an excellent service. However if you keep going to an establishment and keep failing to tip, some servers and kitchen staff wont be so nice to you. If you know what I mean.

take into account, establishment size, location, brand name, and service quality. good luck in your guys restuarant experience's. :130:

oh...get real oneh2obabe.

You're the one shooting off your mouth about how much your wife makes in tips. Apparently you've never dealt with CRA when it comes to them sniffing out undeclared income ... not a pretty picture. You're doing a very nice job of narrowing down their search seeing there's only 5 Cora's in BC - oops, 6th one opening soon.

Return to “Grab Bag”