Gratuities in Kelowna - Can anyone explain?

A potpourri of off-topics.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: Gratuities in Kelowna - Can anyone explain?

Post by Glacier »

boardsweeper wrote:However if you keep going to an establishment and keep failing to tip, some servers and kitchen staff wont be so nice to you. If you know what I mean.

Wow! In other words, a tip is really just blackmail. Imagine if the police worked like this... "You just got mugged? Okay, slip me a fiver if you want me to help you out."

I'm seriously reconsidering my tipping practices after reading this thread (as in, goodbye high tips).
Last edited by Glacier on Dec 3rd, 2012, 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
797hauler
Fledgling

Post by 797hauler »

Tell me how many cities in BC have 1.5 million people, and if you actually read my posts, we are in alberta, before you start to shoot off your mouth.... but if you want to call the CRA, go ahead good luck trying to take down resuarants all over canada.....so that was for sure my last reply...

And to glaicer, we've all seen T.V shows (dr.oz) ect ect...on whats happend behind the kitchen door....not going to say it will happen, but some of the servers and kitchen staff are complete pigs....again people...... dont tip.

I promised Jo I'd play nice.... bye :boxer: bye
Last edited by 797hauler on Dec 3rd, 2012, 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

I don't report to the CRA so you can put that notion aside. You never know who is reading the forums so you might want to rethink posting how much she makes in tips.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

CRA have done auditing of waiters and waitresses regarding their tips.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

I worked as a banquet waitress for a few years when I was a teenager.

Except for serving alcohol (which I couldn't do until 18...and then did when I was old enough) we completed many of the tasks a restaurant server would. The biggest difference would be that most times we would not take specific orders as the menu options are limited in this part of the food services industy.

We would serve several tables at a time (dozens of customers per server). Bringing food and drink, accomodating special requests, clearing tables in a timely manner, serving several courses (sometimes white gloved...gross), refreshing drinks, bread baskets, condiments, etc.

That didn't including showing up hours in advance to set up for a few hundred people (tables, chairs, linens, place sittings, centre pieces, etc)...this would often happen at remote locations where we would have to transport everything. Then there was the take down...everything in reverse.

A "gratuity" would be added to the client's bill and that would be spilt equally by everyone, no matter what their role. On a really good pay cheque that would equate to maybe $3.00 or $4.00 per hour. For an entire shift that works out to be less than $1.00 per person served (on average).

You worked every shift the same. You were equally pleasent to everyone because at the end of the day you weren't basing your efforts off of some previous experience with that customer tipping. That was a pretty thankless job as far as tipping went. But it was a pretty damned good job to have as a student.
Busdriver1964
Fledgling

Post by Busdriver1964 »

[quote=]I dont know, do you tip them? I dont take the bus. Feel free to tip if you dont. anybody can tip anyone in any industry if they choose to.. quit being so rediculious. just because people dont tip certin people, doesnt mean they cant be tipped. again lead by example then. start tipping gas jockeys, mcdonalds employees ect ect...then. who really cares. its just a culture and expected now that servers get a tip, and if you feel their no different, then dont tip your server anymore. :win:[quote]

You Win? Win what? :discodance:
Bus Driver, gas jockey, whoever.
I don't think the question has really been answered

Because its culture and expected. I think its time for a change of culture
797hauler
Fledgling

Post by 797hauler »

You Win? Win what? :discodance:
Bus Driver, gas jockey, whoever.
I don't think the question has really been answered

Because its culture and expected. I think its time for a change of culture

I wont answer your posts anymore (not regarding this topic anyway, I expressed my opinion and personall experiences with you and I am not sure I can explain anymore) Ill bow out.
:popcorn:
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Thought you left. If getting a meal that isn't tampered with is reliant on tipping then I won't be so quick to eat out.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

Fancy wrote:Thought you left. If getting a meal that isn't tampered with is reliant on tipping then I won't be so quick to eat out.

I already said that a few threads ago on this topic, its kind of sickening they would feel this way about not recieving a gift but thats what it has come to. Have I gone out much since? Nope, feel safer right at home.

And I really dont believe that 3 or 4 grand thing either, not if they have to share tips and tip out on bad days, I think its just foot in mouth disease, to say it as nicely as I can. That or the rest of the servers here are lazy as heck and just dont cut it or they are the ones lying... Is Kelowna cheap or are they doing much better then they claim and they want to encourage more of the good stuff from their customers?
I call bullpuckie...
♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post
samsquench07
Übergod

Post by samsquench07 »

Easy soluction. Any high toned restaurant, that you can feel the tip pressure, i just avoid. Its just that easy. I would rather go to some place i can relax, tip them a buck or two if there good, and be able to come back, without them shooting me the skunk eye.

Tell me, you math wizards, what is more important, having the customer come in once or twice a year, and muscle them for a few bills of a tip, or have them repeating your restaurant once or twice a week??
797hauler
Fledgling

Post by 797hauler »

I already said that a few threads ago on this topic, its kind of sickening they would feel this way about not recieving a gift but thats what it has come to. Have I gone out much since? Nope, feel safer right at home.

And I really dont believe that 3 or 4 grand thing either, not if they have to share tips and tip out on bad days, I think its just foot in mouth disease, to say it as nicely as I can. That or the rest of the servers here are lazy as heck and just dont cut it or they are the ones lying... Is Kelowna cheap or are they doing much better then they claim and they want to encourage more of the good stuff from their customers?
I call bullpuckie...

Im gonna come back in here cause Im not gonna have you call me a liar. dont make it seem like all servers are like this, and if you feel that way about every server then stay home from now on. and I stated she makes $200 a day kinda thing, its very appropriate when the end of day ring out is $2000+ a day and most servers if they are good generally get the 10% so you guys do the math :12077: ....and my wife also works in and around major malls where foot traffic is VERY HEAVY and in a city where the economy is thriving, NOT KELOWNA.

Coras is a great place that is always packed, there prices are very, very good considering the large anount of fresh fruit you get, The JO construction is only $10.49 and is massive, I dare any of you to go to a place and pay that price for a plate like that. And again Location, region, Brand name, quality of service all plays a factor.

So STOP being a bunch of whiners, dont go out and eat anymore, stick to the same old lets drag everybody down on the forums. and stay at home under your rock living :anonymous: 'ly .

This was a fact not an opinion, its not every establishment, that these servers make this much, and its not every crew of people who will taint your food for being a jerk.

And I told you roadster in a PM that I wasnt trying to be rude, But I take that back..Also I was trying to express the truth since all of you are clearly unaware of the potencial money that servers can make, and the not so plesant actions SOME bad apples will do to you if you keep going in to a place and NEVER tip regardless of the service (even if it was good) we all know these things happen so dont any of you act like you've never heard of it happening, it was even on the news recently.

All of you that are starting to derail the thread with negative comments, I say this.

-Stay home
-When you do go out, dont tip
- and for the ones that say everybody else should get tipped, (mcdonalds workers , gas jockeys.. ect ect) START tipping them then.

:boxer:
:win: (again)
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

Well I wont feel bad if I dont want to tip, seems some do quite well. Not such a bad situation after all.
♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post
johnhenry
Übergod

Post by johnhenry »

oneh2obabe wrote:[quote="boardsweeper"
if you guys want to start delrailing the thread thats fine.

Not every server makes that kind of money, and we live in a city of 1.5 million people. so its generally extremly busy, she also works in a mall where foot traffic is very heavy.

I'll keep myself off this thread from now on, but do remember this, my wife doesnt care if people tip or not, she provides an excellent service. However if you keep going to an establishment and keep failing to tip, some servers and kitchen staff wont be so nice to you. If you know what I mean.

take into account, establishment size, location, brand name, and service quality. good luck in your guys restuarant experience's. :130:

oh...get real oneh2obabe.

You're the one shooting off your mouth about how much your wife makes in tips. Apparently you've never dealt with CRA when it comes to them sniffing out undeclared income ... not a pretty picture. You're doing a very nice job of narrowing down their search seeing there's only 5 Cora's in BC - oops, 6th one opening soon.

How many Cora's in a city of 1.5 million, in Alberta, and let's narrow it down to a mall location. Sounds like Calgary to me. Looks like boardsweeper might have given away something to the CRA. Now they'll likely audit all the Cora service staff in Alberta, they do have the manpower. Nice move.
Words out of your mouth are like bullets out of a gun.
Once they are out, you can't take them back.
Busdriver1964
Fledgling

Post by Busdriver1964 »

No lets go out and enjoy a good meal at a reasonable price.. knowing we do not have to tip.. or tip as much will make the meal and experience that much more enjoyable..

Thanks for the info
marvin gardens
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by marvin gardens »

Why are gratuities low in Kelowna?
This question has been asked before, in earlier posts but let's have another go.
First, lets dispell the belief of our mayor that as he stated to the Election Boundry Commission,that " Kelowna is the centre of the universe" The world really does not care about Kelowna.It doesen't count for much of anything!
That said, it is a low income area...But 'TIPS" stands for "To Insure Prompt Service"..Let us add GOOD service. Other posts have already stated Most of the service is LOUSY or mediocre at best. Poorly trained servers. others who just don't give a damn and others who can't remember to provide a knife and fork with your meal. There are some good ones.Very good as a matter of fact, but they are in the minority.
Also, there is another factor.ATROCIOUS prices for food and ATROCIOUS prices for not so good beer and wine, particularly in the pubs.AND quite frankly I am getting tired of a debit machine asking me to tip at a pet food store,coffee shop and ice cream parlour.
Just like I believe it is not the taxpayers resonsibility to support with my tax dollars, Chambers of Commerce who constantly yap about the minimum wage being too high and others must pay their own way, Isn't it time the owners of these businesses these bastions of free enterprise, to forgo their luxury atomobiles and trucks, boats and other high ticket items charged to their business and pay something higher than the minimum wage to their employees?
I for one now limit my dining out...with tips simply because of the high costs and poor service.
Kelowna has for too long relied on "refugees" from other areas to support the local economy.
Those days are over.Perhaps it has yet to realize such a reality.

color=#4000FF][/color]

Return to “Grab Bag”