Gratuities in Kelowna - Can anyone explain?

A potpourri of off-topics.
797hauler
Fledgling

Re: Gratuities in Kelowna - Can anyone explain?

Post by 797hauler »

:coffeecanuck:

How many Cora's in a city of 1.5 million, in Alberta, and let's narrow it down to a mall location. Sounds like Calgary to me. Looks like boardsweeper might have given away something to the CRA. Now they'll likely audit all the Cora service staff in Alberta, they do have the manpower. Nice move.

Suppose we should go after moxies girls and the catus club to right :dyinglaughing:
oh lets see, tony romas, heck lets shut down the restuarant industry all together. :dyinglaughing: :144:
797hauler
Fledgling

Post by 797hauler »

Oh wait wait.... Maybe all the servers at starbucks too since they paid the staff over 100 MILLION dollars after being sued for skimming tips...

Get real......................... Again I say :boxer: :win:
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

Just a question, whats with the, I win? Didja win sompthin?
♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post
797hauler
Fledgling

Post by 797hauler »

Roadster wrote:Just a question, whats with the, I win? Didja win sompthin?

Yeah the battle.

any how good luck everybody...

Moving on.... :popcorn:
johnhenry
Übergod

Post by johnhenry »

boardsweeper wrote:Suppose we should go after moxies girls and the catus club to right
oh lets see, tony romas, heck lets shut down the restuarant industry all together.

Oh wait wait.... Maybe all the servers at starbucks too since they paid the staff over 100 MILLION dollars after being sued for skimming tips...

Get real......................... Again I say :boxer: :win:

What? Did I get to close with the location? And what's with the "we"? Do you work for the CRA? Why are you even on here any more? I thought you were done with his thread. Never underestimate the CRA. I'm going to bet you won't be too popular with your wife and her co-workers when they come calling. Or the girls at Moxies, Cactus Club etc.
Win? Not really
Lose? Yeah.
Words out of your mouth are like bullets out of a gun.
Once they are out, you can't take them back.
797hauler
Fledgling

Post by 797hauler »

What? Did I get to close with the location? And what's with the "we"? Do you work for the CRA? Why are you even on here any more? I thought you were done with his thread. Never underestimate the CRA. I'm going to bet you won't be too popular with your wife and her co-workers when they come calling. Or the girls at Moxies, Cactus Club etc.
Win? Not really
Lose? Yeah.

I understand what your trying to do here, I came back on the topic once roadster decided to call me out, And as far as I'm concered , The CRA can do whatever it is they like, I dont care. Go troll elsewhere.

I was adding to the topic in my response, your just poking.. Stay on topic, Im not here to argue.
johnhenry
Übergod

Post by johnhenry »

boardsweeper wrote:

I understand what your trying to do here, I came back on the topic once roadster decided to call me out, And as far as I'm concered , The CRA can do whatever it is they like, I dont care. Go troll elsewhere.

I was adding to the topic in my response, your just poking.. Stay on topic, Im not here to argue.

Again, I thought you were done.

Edited to add: Have you read the title of the thread? This is about Kelowna, not a city of 1.5 million. You're the one who is trolling.
Words out of your mouth are like bullets out of a gun.
Once they are out, you can't take them back.
monroe
Übergod

Post by monroe »

boardsweeper wrote: Again I say :boxer: :win:

( LOL ) ...im not sure this debate is about winning or losing but for the record, id say you gave yourself the 'ol rope-a-dope by show boating your spouses personal info in a public forum.

3-4K in tips ... somewhere along the way p e r s p e c t i v e was lost.
- Heres me thinking im contributing to a nice month end supplement.

GF was the first to pickup on it. It was also the first thing that hit me (and apparently everyone else) after you said it - but all your comments did for me was substantiate the fact that "tipping" in the food industry a socially driven OVERexpectation.

I know people in the food service industry work hard but tax free income, combined with (in your wife’s case) their additional income most likely boils down to a 50-60K year job ?? no way.

Like I said, all your comments do for me is take away the implied guilt about tipping too much or tipping at all when experiencing less than a decent service.
" ... Kind of weird but hey, weird is normal on castanet " - LANDM
797hauler
Fledgling

Post by 797hauler »

( LOL ) ...im not sure this debate is about winning or losing but for the record, id say you gave yourself the 'ol rope-a-dope by show boating your spouses personal info in a public forum.

3-4K in tips ... somewhere along the way p e r s p e c t i v e was lost.
- Heres me thinking im contributing to a nice month end supplement.

GF was the first to pickup on it. It was also the first thing that hit me (and apparently everyone else) after you said it - but all your comments did for me was substantiate the fact that "tipping" in the food industry a socially driven OVERexpectation.

I know people in the food service industry work hard but tax free income, combined with (in your wife’s case) their additional income most likely boils down to a 50-60K year job ?? no way.

Like I said, all your comments do for me is take away the implied guilt about tipping too much or tipping at all when experiencing less than a decent service.

Im glad I get to change the minds of a few select kelownians, on their tipping habits. its not going to change the worlds tipping habbits. So It doesnt bother me at all. You dont need to believe I word I say, and it doesnt hurt my feelings that any that you dont believe me so...

I did want to point out the OP did also ask what peoples opinions would be on tipping other industries like mcdonalds and gas jockeys and other costumer serviced based positions, Wheres their tip? whats your input on that?

And I want to Add nobodies show boating anything. I expressed what she makes in tips. And what servers who are in high traffic areas can make. I never said every server does make that. You think the girls at rileys pub on the west side make that a day? chances are not, and what she would make,do you think she claims her tips? chances are not. and if she claimed her tips would your tipping habbits be any different? and if anything. MOST people complain about the amount we are taxed now a day, well. Its taxed the seconed we spend the tip money, at the grocrey store, for our gas, bills, school clothes, ect ect... so the goverment is still getting there money, either way... so whats the big deal?

I think you guys are freaking out over a select few servers out there who are making decent amounts in tips and not claiming them. so you feel you shouldnt tip or tip considerably less based on this information. its gonna get taxed either way, at the end of the year or at the store, thats why they say the goverments always in our pockets :sunshine:
Busdriver1964
Fledgling

Post by Busdriver1964 »

its not going to change the worlds tipping habbits

Only in North America is tipping really expected. And in some place it is automatically added to your bill and they still expect a tip on top of that. :purefury:
Many place around the world they almost consider it an insult if you tip but time are changing
cate1896
Fledgling

Post by cate1896 »

Only in North America is tipping really expected. And in some place it is automatically added to your bill and they still expect a tip on top of that. :purefury:
Many place around the world they almost consider it an insult if you tip but time are changing[/quote]

I don't think people "expect" a tip on top of an automatic gratuity, hope maybe, but not expect.

And having travelled extensively, I can assure you that I have never encountered anyone who considers money an insult. :dyinglaughing:
IF LIFE HANDS YOU MELONS, YOU PROBABLY HAVE DYSLEXIA
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

I have to agree, I never seen anyone being insulted in other countries, seemed they saw your appreciation through your tip which is how it should be here.
♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post
Busdriver1964
Fledgling

Post by Busdriver1964 »

I don't think people "expect" a tip on top of an automatic gratuity, hope maybe, but not expect.

Really?? After an automatic 15-20% has been added. Really?

And Vernon is not extensive travel..)

I said "Almost" I have had servers return my tip saying thank you but it was not required or expected.. Just my experience
cstishenko

Post by cstishenko »

marvin gardens wrote:Why are gratuities low in Kelowna?
This question has been asked before, in earlier posts but let's have another go.
First, lets dispell the belief of our mayor that as he stated to the Election Boundry Commission,that " Kelowna is the centre of the universe" The world really does not care about Kelowna.It doesen't count for much of anything!
That said, it is a low income area...But 'TIPS" stands for "To Insure Prompt Service"..Let us add GOOD service. Other posts have already stated Most of the service is LOUSY or mediocre at best. Poorly trained servers. others who just don't give a damn and others who can't remember to provide a knife and fork with your meal. There are some good ones.Very good as a matter of fact, but they are in the minority.
Also, there is another factor.ATROCIOUS prices for food and ATROCIOUS prices for not so good beer and wine, particularly in the pubs.AND quite frankly I am getting tired of a debit machine asking me to tip at a pet food store,coffee shop and ice cream parlour.
Just like I believe it is not the taxpayers resonsibility to support with my tax dollars, Chambers of Commerce who constantly yap about the minimum wage being too high and others must pay their own way, Isn't it time the owners of these businesses these bastions of free enterprise, to forgo their luxury atomobiles and trucks, boats and other high ticket items charged to their business and pay something higher than the minimum wage to their employees?
I for one now limit my dining out...with tips simply because of the high costs and poor service.
Kelowna has for too long relied on "refugees" from other areas to support the local economy.
Those days are over.Perhaps it has yet to realize such a reality.

color=#4000FF][/color]

This right here is truth.

We have sat down at restaurants in the past, looked at the menu and got up and left. You want HOW MUCH for that plate?

We have little haunts we visit from time to time, but because of all reasons listed above... We rarely go out.

If you are in the downtown area looking for a great plate, with friendly staff at a reasonable price, stop by the corner of ellis and leon... You will not be dissapointed :-)
sulchie
Fledgling

Post by sulchie »

Deleted by Trip/Off topic.

Return to “Grab Bag”