$950 to see a doctor at KGH! Really?

A potpourri of off-topics.
Roadster
Time waster at work

Re: $950 to see a doctor at KGH! Really?

Post by Roadster »

I believe they can charge you back to date if you have lived here and not participated, could be wrong but is it worth it not to be on? Say you do like Glacier said he would if single,,, not pay in till 45 but at 35 you go mountain biking and fall off a cliff,,, wasnt gonna happen right? But now you are 35, crippled and No one, not a soul is covering you but your family,,, not smart! For the 66 a month its a ward room but its covered, its a bill paid while you lay on yer back and if you have other medical coverage that is paid by work or you pay for one like I do cos I dont work for anyone then you get even more then that, its an insurance for sure. It insures you wont be broke with a broken back for the rest of your natural life, even if you walk again.
Some provinces dont charge for it, in a way, its taken in other ways not so direct from each persons wallet but its still there, here you must apply.

Good question KG, if I remember right Ontario covered you for three months after moving to other provinces.
♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post
LordEd
Guru

Post by LordEd »

I didn't know you could opt out:

http://www.health.gov.bc.ca/msp/infoben/electoptout.pdf

If you do not want to participate in British Columbia’s provincial health care programs, you must complete and sign an Election to Opt Out statement and submit that statement to the Ministry of Health.

You cannot opt out retroactively in order to eliminate an outstanding premium debt; any outstanding amount is a debt owed to the province and is collectable under law. If you elect to opt out, your statement is effective for a 12 month period starting on the first day of the month following the month in which your application to opt out is received and you cannot subsequently opt back in until after this 12 month period.
During the 12 month period for which you opt out, the Ministry of Health will not pay for any medical, hospital or other health care services, or for any items such as prescription drugs that might otherwise have been a benefit. This will be true regardless of whether the services/items are required on a routine or an emergency basis, due to illness or accident, and regardless of the cost involved.
  • You will be responsible for paying the entire cost of health care services and items you receive during the opted out period. You will not be able to opt back in, in the event of an unforeseen medical problem. Note: Hospital costs alone can exceed $1,000 per day.
  • You may find you are unable to obtain extended health care benefits or coverage for travel outside British Columbia.
  • You will not be required to pay any premiums for the period during which you are opted out.

So basically if you decide to opt out, you're on american-style coverage for 12 months.
Health forum: Health, well-being, medicine, aging, digital currency enslavement, depopulation conspiracy.

If you want to discuss anything real, you're in the wrong place.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

French Castanut wrote:............. The nurse told me it will cost me $950 to see a basic doctor, and that medicare would probably not refund it. Then I asked if I would have to wait all night in the emergency room and she said probably yes.

WHAT? You have me pay 1000 bucks I want VIP treatment and nothing less. Like you know.. I expect 5 stars hotel service and free orange juice. Why should the dude that pays nothing go before me? And I know they will send me to get a scan so sky high bill here it comes...................

Here's a word to look up in your English to French dictionary "Triage" T R I A G E.

"the process of determining the priority of patients' treatments based on the severity of their condition"

I don't think for a minute you have told us everything. The normal process is that you are fully insured in your previous province. There is a three month waiting period, where you continue to pay your original province. During this time you apply in BC for MSP. By the time the balance of the three months is up, you have MSP coverage.

Your medical insurance is thus, continuous.

The ironies abound, you, not contributing to the Medical Service Plan of BC, then complaining about the cost of a hospital visit that is subsidized by the rest of us who are paying MSP. Then suggesting you should get VIP treatment.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Opting out is option, but if nasty illness or injury comes your way. Hopefully your bank account is running over with lots of cash.
i.e gallbladder removal heart-attack or sport injury etc...etc...
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
janalta
Übergod

Post by janalta »

my5cents wrote:
I don't think for a minute you have told us everything. The normal process is that you are fully insured in your previous province. There is a three month waiting period, where you continue to pay your original province. During this time you apply in BC for MSP. By the time the balance of the three months is up, you have MSP coverage.

Your medical insurance is thus, continuous.

The ironies abound, you, not contributing to the Medical Service Plan of BC, then complaining about the cost of a hospital visit that is subsidized by the rest of us who are paying MSP. Then suggesting you should get VIP treatment.

Except if you are from Quebec...which is where he moved here from.
Which is all beside the point anyhow since he moved here more than a year ago and obviously never bothered to apply for coverage in BC at that time...and now it's biting him in the butt so he's trying to find someone to blame for the costs of not having coverage
Wise enough to know better.
Old enough to care less.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

janalta wrote:and now it's biting him in the butt so he's trying to find someone to blame for the costs of not having coverage

A look in the mirror will answer that pretty quickly.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
WeatherWoman
Wicked Witch of the West Coast

Post by WeatherWoman »

French Castanut wrote:
Well, that can't be any more or less variable. So I'll wait and call them first thing tomorrow morning.

As for 950$.. I still just can't believe it, and even if I was dying, I wouldn't pay for that. My successor would deal with it.

You should be fine as you left and then came back? When did you return?
"It takes a village to raise a fool." ~ Dan Mangan
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

janalta wrote:Except if you are from Quebec...which is where he moved here from.
Which is all beside the point anyhow since he moved here more than a year ago and obviously never bothered to apply for coverage in BC at that time...and now it's biting him in the butt so he's trying to find someone to blame for the costs of not having coverage

My reading of the Quebec site, indicates it's the same in Quebec as elsewhere :

From : http://www.ramq.gouv.qc.ca/en/life-even ... rance.aspx

Taking up residence elsewhere in Canada

Persons who take up residence elsewhere in Canada are generally no longer covered after the end of the second calendar month following the date they take up residence in another province. Here is an example.

Up to that day, the persons benefit from services covered outside Québec.

Free prescription drugs end the moment you leave the province but you have the same grace period, that corresponds to the entry waiting period of BC.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

Well, how do ya like that,,, you get your medical card on your licence,,, cant forget to apply now :dyinglaughing:

http://www.castanet.net/news/BC/85510/B ... e-obsolete
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

It's not on your License, it's in addition to. Another piece of ID to carry.
Photo ID for a care card is probably a good idea.
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

Ok, I thought I saw the DL number on the sample. It is a good idea tho.

Eta,,, taking a second look at the sample card, it says Drivers licence and services card,,,
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Bsuds wrote:It's not on your License, it's in addition to. Another piece of ID to carry.
Photo ID for a care card is probably a good idea.

You can opt for a separate care card or have it noted on your DL.

The new card, which would replace the current Care Card, will offer more security benefits than a current driver's licence, including a photograph of the beneficiary, anti-forgery features, high-level identity proofing - as well as a security chip. People can choose to have the new card, or to have their driver's licence indicate they are enrolled in the Medical Services Plan.

However, individuals will never be denied essential medical care in real emergency situations even if they fail to re-enrol or do not have a card. Re-enrolment will be straightforward and, where possible, aligned with the date for renewal of an individual's driver's licence.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Oops, your right it does say it can be combined with the drivers license.
Sn0man
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Sn0man »

LordEd wrote:So basically if you decide to opt out, you're on american-style coverage for 12 months.

There are ways to "opt out" that do not require giving up your universal health care coverage:

Move to one of the other 7 provinces or 3 territories that do not charge "extra" for health care (you know, since it's paid for with income taxes.)
Sunshine tax rebate recipient
Otter
Board Meister

Post by Otter »

LordEd wrote:
There are ways to "opt out" that do not require giving up your universal health care coverage:

Move to one of the other 7 provinces or 3 territories that do not charge "extra" for health care (you know, since it's paid for with income taxes.)

Umm...wouldn't you have to be paying income tax in that province to qualify for the medical card? Say you reside in Alberta but you work in BC so not paying income tax in AB. Who covers you for Medical? Or do you pay income tax in both provinces?

Okay, now I'm confusing myself. Going to bed. :sleepdeprived:

Return to “Grab Bag”