$950 to see a doctor at KGH! Really?

A potpourri of off-topics.
French Castanut
Lord of the Board

$950 to see a doctor at KGH! Really?

Post by French Castanut »

Well, I have to see a doctor and I totally forgot to renew my medicare card so I'm without insurance right now for the past few days but I know I'm going to be retroactively charged for it when I get it.

I called the hospital to see how it would work payment side. I was transfered to 5 different people and had to call twice before I could get an answer to my simple question.

It actually sounded like this:

The nurse told me it will cost me $950 to see a basic doctor, and that medicare would probably not refund it. Then I asked if I would have to wait all night in the emergency room and she said probably yes.

WHAT? You have me pay 1000 bucks I want VIP treatment and nothing less. Like you know.. I expect 5 stars hotel service and free orange juice. Why should the dude that pays nothing go before me? And I know they will send me to get a scan so sky high bill here it comes.

Pfff I won't pay 100$ an hour to WAIT even if I'm dying. And how come the walk in clinic charges only $50 and the hospital $950???? WHat's worth so much difference. On top of getting a bill, you get everyone else's sicknesses.

No wonder the govt is that broke since that's what they pay to the hospital everytime one goes in according to the nurse.

Anyone knows if medicare will refund it? How that works?
Last edited by French Castanut on Jan 6th, 2013, 9:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Vote C'Nutz for President of the Republic of BC May 14th!
Triple 6

Re: What's wrong with KGH?

Post by Triple 6 »

Are you talking BC's MSP? And if yes, what do you mean renew? It never expires unless you move from BC.
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
French Castanut
Lord of the Board

Yes, BC carecard. I was out of province :-)

Is there not a proverb that says: You don't realise what you don't have before you need it? :dyinglaughing:
Last edited by French Castanut on Jan 6th, 2013, 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
motorhomebabe
Lord of the Board

Post by motorhomebabe »

That $ 900 goes for all the supervisors.
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

MSP is mandatory for everyone. So just phone, get it and then go to the dr. They bill you so you should be good.
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

Wait a minute! Do you actually need medical care or just calling around to see what the cost would be?
French Castanut
Lord of the Board

motorhomebabe wrote:That $ 900 goes for all the supervisors.

For polishing their nails while reading their gossip magazines?
French Castanut
Lord of the Board

Triple 6 wrote:Wait a minute! Do you actually need medical care or just calling around to see what the cost would be?

Yes I need the card.

WHat I need is some insight of is if medicare will refund the hospital bill.. If this situation happened to anyone here in the past.

And 950$ to see a doctor. Really? That's just.. insane.

Don't break a leg or that will cost your arm. Or both.
Last edited by French Castanut on Jan 6th, 2013, 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

So maybe change the name of your thread. Because I see something (and your comments) are slamming the workers at KGH but at the same you want answers. What is it?
French Castanut
Lord of the Board

Not the workers but the fee.
Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catz »

If you really needed the ER...none of this would matter.
80% that goes in there is not an emergency.
Nothing wrong with KGH...it is poor management on your part.
just popping in
Lord of the Board

Post by just popping in »

Nothing, get a medical card.
French Castanut
Lord of the Board

Catz wrote:If you really needed the ER...none of this would matter.
So if you don't have a family doctor where do you find one? On Castanet's classifield?
80% that goes in there is not an emergency.
Because they don't have family doctor or have a problem that's non urgent but that needs consideration now and not in 3 months
Nothing wrong with KGH...it is poor management on your part. My mistake was to not get the stupid card on time... but $950. Really? Is that reasonnable? Tell me about $100 I'll take it and simply shut up and pay. But 950. U kidding, right?
just popping in
Lord of the Board

Re: $950 to see a doctor at KGH! Really?

Post by just popping in »

Just noticed you have been with us since Sept 2011, plenty of time to get BC Medical.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: $950 to see a doctor at KGH! Really?

Post by Queen K »

There are no less than 8 threads on Castanet forums all about finding a family doctor.

Start with Doctor, Doctor, Give me the News and work from there.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?

Return to “Grab Bag”