Dinner Ideas - First Time Cooking For Boyfriend's Parents

A potpourri of off-topics.
motorhomebabe
Lord of the Board

Re: Dinner Ideas - First Time Cooking For Boyfriend's Parent

Post by motorhomebabe »

BBQ steak ,baked potatoe and a make ahead salad. easy not much prep and usually enjoyed by all , Dont forget the garlic bread.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Captain Awesome wrote:Oh, save yourself some time. Whatever you cook, you'll never be good enough for their little boy!

Well they have to have something! How about open a can of beans and grill up cheese sandwiches, make 'em extra fancy by throwing in tomato and ham.

NOT.

You haven't given us any idea as to what kind of kitchen you have or don't. Got a BBQ? Oven mitts? What type of bakewear do you have? Are you going to use fine china or stoneware? Make the dish match the dishes. Fine food for china.

Captain A may be right, some parents never approve of whomever their "little boy" is seeing.

On the other hand, mom and dad may instantly like you and it won't matter what you served up. Hope you have the best of luck.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Sn0man
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Sn0man »

KPARKER83 wrote:Just looking to get some ideas for dinner.
I will be cooking for my boyfriend's parents for the first time next weekend and can't decide what to cook.

Any suggestions?

You don't say your skill level, but if you wanted to keep it simple but still delicious try turkey cutlets in panko with lemon, some new potatoes and asparagus. Takes 15 minutes to cook and tastes great. Low fat too!
Sunshine tax rebate recipient
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

Try this recipe. It's easy and it's foolproof. Serve it with a Caesar salad (buy a ready made one from the produce dept at the grocery store), some garlic bread and a nice wine, and they'll think you're a gourmet chef.

Baked Tortellini with Italian Sausage and Zucchini

375 g hot spicy Italian Sausage
1 tbsp olive oil
1 medium zucchini, sliced thin
1 medium onion, chopped fairly small
1 28 oz. can or 1 19 oz. can Italian Stewed Tomatoes (depending on whether you prefer your pasta thick or runny)
1 tsp dried oregano
1 package (255 g) fresh cheese filled tortellini
¾ cup grated Parmesan cheese

Remove casings from sausage, crumble sausage meat. Heat oil in large frying pan over medium-high heat. Brown sausage with zucchini and onion, about 5 minutes (keep breaking the sausage up with a fork or it will go into lumps). Stir in tomatoes and oregano; bring to a boil. Pour over tortellini in 2 quart (2.5 L) casserole. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons cheese, cover dish. Bake at 375 for 12 minutes. Stir; sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake, covered, 15 minutes longer or until pasta is tender.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
KPARKER83
Fledgling

Post by KPARKER83 »

Captain Awesome wrote:Oh, save yourself some time. Whatever you cook, you'll never be good enough for their little boy!

Haha. That couldn't be more wrong. When I first met his parents, I overheard his dad telling him to "not eff this one up!". I'm pretty sure his parents already like me :)

I have decided on:
Homemade Lasagna (sorry but the one from M&M's is just tasteless to me)
Garlic Bread
Caesar salad with homemade dressing
Homemade tiramisu for dessert :)
matai
Banned

Post by matai »

KPARKER83 wrote:
I have decided on:
Garlic Bread

Can we come too?
KPARKER83
Fledgling

Post by KPARKER83 »

matai wrote:
I have decided on:
Garlic Bread

Can we come too?

How many is "we"? Not sure my little place would have enough room for too many. Hehe.

Return to “Grab Bag”