Closing in on 50 years

A potpourri of off-topics.

Closing in on 50 years

Postby Queen K » May 30th, 2014, 6:16 am

Cheer me up.

I'm closing in on 50 in a few days but it's proving to be harder than closing in on 30, or 40 even.

So what's so great about 50?
Using cash is one of your few forms of privacy: use it or lose it. 1984 isn't the only Orwell novel that needs to to made fiction again.

Hmmm likes this post.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 15385 posts

Re: Closing in on 50 years

Postby pbear » May 30th, 2014, 6:28 am

Congrats! 50 is just like the 40s only better. The main thing I found as the 50s progressed was that I started looking forward again, like I did in my teens. As a teenager I was always looking for those milestones like driving, voting, grad, moving out.....really just different forms of freedom. In my 50s I've started to look forward again to the freedom of retirement...being able to set my own schedule, follow my own interests. Loving them!
Life happens, grab tight and treasure it.

2 people like this post.
pbear
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 196 posts

Postby Lady tehMa » May 30th, 2014, 7:12 am

You don't LOOK like you could be closing in on 50! 0_0
PLEASE use spellcheck. If that is too hard, consider installing the Grammarly (free!) app that will not only spellcheck for you (AND offer corrections!) but also make sure that your sentences are grammatically correct.

You're welcome.

coffeeFreak likes this post.
Lady tehMa
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 4591 posts

Postby Bsuds » May 30th, 2014, 7:15 am

I agree with pbear. Retirement is worth looking forward to.
You like to travel and take pictures well when you retire you will have all the time you want to do that.
Ducks have feathers to cover their Butt Quacks!
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Liked in: 12984 posts

Postby BoB76 » May 30th, 2014, 8:30 am

If it makes you feel any better I thought you were likely 55.
You can't fix stupid........BUT you can dress them up and over pay them to teach your kids!
BoB76
Guru

Liked in: 121 posts

Postby Bsuds » May 30th, 2014, 8:34 am

You're only 8.5 in Cat years.

Lady tehMa likes this post.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Postby Jo » May 30th, 2014, 8:54 am

Meh, 50 is a spring chicken. Don't waste precious time worrying about getting older, just enjoy what you have right now.

Fifty is prime-time, a time when you are old enough to be savvy about things but not so old that you've forgotten what it is you're supposed to be savvy about.

In an era where one is likely to hit 90, 50 is barely middle-aged. Forget what your parents were at this age, it sure isn't what you or your peers are. Get out there and do something insanely crazy to celebrate.

Gawd. These spring chickens. . . .

5 people like this post.
Jo
Slot 16

Liked in: 3687 posts

Postby Poindexter » May 30th, 2014, 9:41 am

Wisdom to know the truly important things in life and the disposable time to make them a priority.

We've all read this before but it's good to revisit. Approaching 50 makes me realize how true these words are.

Sunday, 03 April 2011 00:00 administrator
The Story of an Empty Jar and Two Cups of Water

During class, a philosophy college teacher shows students an empty jar and fills it with golf balls. Then he asks the class,
“Is the jar full?”
“Yes, professor, it is full!” the class unanimously responds.

The professor fills the remaining empty room between golf balls with small crystal balls from a box. Again, he asks the class,
“Is the jar full?”
“Yes, professor, it is full!” again the class unanimously responds.
Then, the professor takes a bag of sands and pours them into the jar. Of course, the sands fill the smaller empty spaces between the balls of the jar. Once again, the professor asks whether the jar is really full.
“Yes, Sir!” the whole class replies.

Immediately, the professor pours into the jar two cups of water which completely fill the tiny spaces between the sands! The whole class laughs loudly!
Waiting until the class stops laughing, the professor says, “I want to compare this jar to your life. The golf balls represent the most important issues. Your life could be considered fulfilled even if you miss everything but have already achieved these most important life’s objectives. The crystal balls represent other important issues such as your job, your house, your car, etc. The sands represent miscellaneous and trivial matters in your life.
If I pour sands into the jar first, there will be no more room for the crystal balls or the golf balls. It is the same for our life. If we use all our time and energy for trivial matters, we never have any resource left for the most important issues in our life.

Pay attention to the essential matters that contribute to our true happiness.

Maintain a cheer and peaceful mental state all the times. It is an unconditional happiness (as opposed to the conditional happiness such as the joy of getting a raise, the pleasant feeling when one’s children are obedient and well behaving, etc.) Seek to achieve true happiness for your family by performing a socially healthy and helpful occupation (a way to earn a living that is not harmful to others, not illegal or immoral, etc.) to insure the sufficiently fulfilling one's family’s material and mental needs. Pay attention to your health by having at least two general checkups a year.

Put into the jar the golf balls first, i.e. use your energy and time for the most important objectives in life that contribute to the true happiness for you, your family, and the community.
Next (referring to the small crystal balls), pay attention to job advancement to better serve the community and your family; pay attention to the material, intellectual, and spiritual needs of one’s spouse; help her even with household chores such as washing dishes, sweeping the floor, or repairing a broken faucet in the bathroom, etc. Play with your children (or grandchildren!).

Prioritize your life’s objectives, the remainder is just sands!

One of the students raises his hand and asks, “Professor, so what do the cups of water represent?”
The professor smiles and says,
“Good question! The water—being clear, fresh, and at the same time easily soaking whatever in contact—can represent LOVE. Water poured into a seemingly filled-up jar does not overflow. It demonstrates the fact that even your life looks terribly busy and apparently fulfilled; there is always more room for LOVE. Love is fresh, alleviating, tender, and will render everything your life even sweeter and more fulfilled!”
Poindexter
Guru

Liked in: 4750 posts

Postby Glacier » May 30th, 2014, 12:18 pm

Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter. Congrats!?

Here are two good songs about growing old.

My youngest and last remaining Grandparent is about to turn 90. Life short and precious; be thankful for 50 years in a wonderful part of the world. May you have 50 more.
Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many. ~Author Unknown
“Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die”
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 12464 posts

Postby ferri » May 30th, 2014, 2:12 pm

i've been 50 for awhile now. lol and i keep forgetting that i am supposed to be "old". i can still keep up with my daughters when we go hiking, and have no problem tying my own shoes. lol but i do remember what a shock it was when i realized i had reached that age! wow! but it's nothing really. i still feel like i'm in my 20's. :D
“When someone is nasty or treats you poorly, don't take it personally. It says nothing about you, but a lot about them.” ― Michael Josephson

Jo likes this post.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Liked in: 10968 posts

Postby GordonH » May 30th, 2014, 2:17 pm

Queen K its only a number, you can feel as young as you want to be... Okay.
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you. John Spence

ferri likes this post.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 8985 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby Queen K » May 30th, 2014, 10:29 pm

I hear you all, I do. Now if only I could wrap my thoughts around the reality of it all.
Using cash is one of your few forms of privacy: use it or lose it. 1984 isn't the only Orwell novel that needs to to made fiction again.

2 people like this post.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Postby zzontar » May 30th, 2014, 10:35 pm

When I turned 50 I learned that your bladder begins to create twice as much pee as the amount of fluids you drink.
They say you can't believe everything they say.

7 people like this post.
zzontar
Guru

Liked in: 1099 posts

Postby Queen K » May 31st, 2014, 6:26 am

^ Very helpful.

Anyone else got words of whizzdom?

2 people like this post.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Postby Bsuds » May 31st, 2014, 6:55 am

You will always be aware of where the closest bathroom is located.

Lady tehMa likes this post.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Next

Return to Grab Bag