TV antenna... worth it?

A potpourri of off-topics.
butcher99
Guru

Re: TV Antenna... worth it?

Post by butcher99 »

wanderer wrote:
All you can pull in here is Global Okanagan. I have a digital converter ($50 at Wallymart), an old TV and a digital antenna that looks like rabbit ears but I guess is more advanced. Used to be able to pull in Global Vanc but that got shut down a couple of years ago, so now just Global Okanagan, but the signal is still there.

What channel is that on? and where is the transmitter? I really only want it for golf on sundays so Global would be great but I cannot find a location for a local transmitter. I found one in Penticton and one in Vernon but nothing close to Kelowna. With the channel number and the transmitter location I might be able to tweak my antenna a bit to pick it up. Maybe not as I am in a large building and if it is on the back side the building will block the signal.
wanderer
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by wanderer »

butcher99 wrote:
What channel is that on? and where is the transmitter? I really only want it for golf on sundays so Global would be great but I cannot find a location for a local transmitter. I found one in Penticton and one in Vernon but nothing close to Kelowna. With the channel number and the transmitter location I might be able to tweak my antenna a bit to pick it up. Maybe not as I am in a large building and if it is on the back side the building will block the signal.

Hi Butcher99

I'm in Kelowna not sure where the transmitter is. Here is the other info: The digital converter has an automatic tuner, it tunes into Ch 27.1 for Global Okanagan. Digital converter is a Magnavox Digital to Analogue Converter. I have a Digital Antenna inside the house that sort of looks like rabbit ears but it also has an electronic tuning feature. It sits high on a stack of books close to an outside wall. The TV itself is on Ch 3.

Not sure if that helps you. Not sure what you meant by transmitter?
4-Fishing

Post by 4-Fishing »

butcher99 wrote:

http://www.tvfool.com/index.php?option= ... &Itemid=90
Today is the day before tomorrow
hctrails

Re: TV antenna... worth it?

Post by hctrails »

Curious Does it work in Tappen or Salmon Arm?? Anyone using Antenna TV Digital HD, Indoor Digital Antenna for HDTV 1080P 4K 50+ Miles Range with 2018 Newest Type Detachable Amplifier Signal Booster?? Cut The Cable cord??? How is the quality, does it glitch or cut out reception?? Do the picK-up CBC, CTV Anyone using Skywire?? SkyLink?? of what have You?? I am consider cut my $100 TV costs. Your feedback greatly appreciated Thanks :)
butcher99
Guru

Post by butcher99 »

hctrails wrote:Curious Does it work in Tappen or Salmon Arm?? Anyone using Antenna TV Digital HD, Indoor Digital Antenna for HDTV 1080P 4K 50+ Miles Range with 2018 Newest Type Detachable Amplifier Signal Booster?? Cut The Cable cord??? How is the quality, does it glitch or cut out reception?? Do the picK-up CBC, CTV Anyone using Skywire?? SkyLink?? of what have You?? I am consider cut my $100 TV costs. Your feedback greatly appreciated Thanks :)

With digital OTA you either get a 100% clear picture or you get nothing. There is nothing in the middle.
We cannot get anything in Kelowna but I believe that is due to the amount of building between us and the tower. You will probably be lucky to get CBC.
We got rid of TV years ago. Don't miss it at all actually. I buy the baseball package for my baseball over the internet but that it. The hockey package will not work because all Canucks games are blacked out. Or at least I think they are. If you are a Canucks fan. If you want sports sprotsnet has a $25. a month package.
Upinef

Post by Upinef »

Just my two cents...

The FV30 isn't the worst antenna in the world -- there are quite a few on sale that don't receive the VHF frequencies at all. (those will perform VERY poorly on channels 10 NBC and 25 ABC) But I don't think the FV30 will be any better than a set of rabbit ears for these (ABC and NBC) channels. So as Darth suggests, your best bet for an indoor antenna is a set of rabbit ears.

(and as fly suggests, a rooftop antenna is your best bet, though certainly many of us simply cannot do that. A comprimise that often works very well is to install a "rooftop" antenna in the attic. Works almost as well as outside (at least if you don't have foil-backed insulation) and bypasses aesthetic concerns.)

A couple of things I'd try first, before changing your antenna out:

- Try extending (or shortning!) the "ears". (assuming your existing antenna has them.. If it doesn't... then replacing the antenna will indeed be about all that will help with WIS.)
- Try tilting the ears up & down. (they're usually shipped pointing up, which is in theory the absolute worst alignment!)
- Try rotating the antenna.
- Try moving the antenna elsewhere in the room. (it may be helpful to buy a few feet of cable & a "barrel" or "coupler", so you can move the antenna further from the TV. You can get this stuff at most places where TVs are sold.)
- Look for electronic devices near the antenna that may be creating interference. Computers, video game consoles, even cell phone chargers.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Upinef wrote:Just my two cents...

Sorry to rock your boat but this is in Kelowna BC Canada and not New Jersey.

We have only 1 OTA channel here and none of those you listed are it.

Thanks for the input though.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
butcher99
Guru

Post by butcher99 »

Upinef wrote:Just my two cents...

The FV30 isn't the worst antenna in the world -- there are quite a few on sale that don't receive the VHF frequencies at all. (those will perform VERY poorly on channels 10 NBC and 25 ABC) But I don't think the FV30 will be any better than a set of rabbit ears for these (ABC and NBC) channels. So as Darth suggests, your best bet for an indoor antenna is a set of rabbit ears.

(and as fly suggests, a rooftop antenna is your best bet, though certainly many of us simply cannot do that. A comprimise that often works very well is to install a "rooftop" antenna in the attic. Works almost as well as outside (at least if you don't have foil-backed insulation) and bypasses aesthetic concerns.)

A couple of things I'd try first, before changing your antenna out:

- Try extending (or shortning!) the "ears". (assuming your existing antenna has them.. If it doesn't... then replacing the antenna will indeed be about all that will help with WIS.)
- Try tilting the ears up & down. (they're usually shipped pointing up, which is in theory the absolute worst alignment!)
- Try rotating the antenna.
- Try moving the antenna elsewhere in the room. (it may be helpful to buy a few feet of cable & a "barrel" or "coupler", so you can move the antenna further from the TV. You can get this stuff at most places where TVs are sold.)
- Look for electronic devices near the antenna that may be creating interference. Computers, video game consoles, even cell phone chargers.

any antenna that worked for the old signal works for the new. However where there is no signal as in Kelowna nothing works. At best you will pick up the local station. ONE local station. No abc nbc or even CBC or CTV. With digital you either get a signal or you do not. And around here probably you will not.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

butcher99 wrote:With digital you either get a signal or you do not. And around here probably you will not.

CHBC is digital OTA locally
butcher99
Guru

Post by butcher99 »

Bsuds wrote:
butcher99 wrote:With digital you either get a signal or you do not. And around here probably you will not.

CHBC is digital OTA locally

I live around the landmark centre. Can't get it my condo. Neither could we get it when we lived out by Fintree. All I was saying is that with digital you either get a perfect picture or you get nothing. It is either available or not. In my case not. One station you might get is a far cry from the 40-60 channels they advertise you can get "free" on the internet with these antennas.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

That's true. If you have something blocking the signal then you won't get anything. I can pick it up in my trailer in my driveway no problem.

Return to “Grab Bag”