What Is Castanet Thinking?

A potpourri of off-topics.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

What Is Castanet Thinking?

Post by Hmmm »

Theres the story about gay homes for seniors being scarce. I get that, but what made me hold back a laugh was the picture Castanet used in the article. Keep in mind I don't think this is a big deal, but it is funny. Maybe they should do a bit of research on what names mean before writing an article and using a name for a home that means.... #%&^^&Image http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#118132
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
daria
Guru

Re: What Is Castanet Thinking?

Post by daria »

Considering the fact that Fudger House is apparently a "gay-positive" facility (according to the article), I do not see the problem. Yes, I too laughed a bit when I saw this picture, but that's okay.

I am happy to see that there is more acceptance for LGBTQ seniors, but we do have a long, long way to go!
Don't take my silence to mean I've agreed with you; I easily could've just lost interest in explaining how wrong you are.
History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes.
"I figured out how to monetize SJWs." Jordan B. Peterson
PDT
Fledgling

Post by PDT »

Hmmm wrote:Theres the story about gay homes for seniors being scarce. I get that, but what made me hold back a laugh was the picture Castanet used in the article. Keep in mind I don't think this is a big deal, but it is funny. Maybe they should do a bit of research on what names mean before writing an article and using a name for a home that means.... #%&^^&
http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#118132

Perhaps you should actually read the story. First off, it's very clear that both the story and photo came from the Canadian Press. Second, Fudger House does indeed exist and is even mentioned in the story.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

PDT wrote:Perhaps you should actually read the story. First off, it's very clear that both the story and photo came from the Canadian Press. Second, Fudger House does indeed exist and is even mentioned in the story.

Thank you, I do have a higher IQ than 80. What makes you think I didn't read it? Does it really matter where the story came from, or if theres a real, (excuse my french)Fudger house? I did read it, and did google that it is real and I still think its funny.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

Yup, I giggled too. It is an unfortunate name for the facility.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Fudger House was one of the grand houses of Victorian Toronto. It was one of many such mansions on Sherbourne and Jarvis Streets, then the very best locale in the growing city. The house was built in 1857 by Thomas Ridout – an official with the Bank of Upper Canada. He named it Sherbourne Villa. In 1867, the mansion was sold to Henry S. Howland – an industrialist. He resided there for two decades until it was purchased in 1888 by Senator George Cox, a wealthy Toronto financier and philanthropist.

Senator Cox used the mansion to host lavish receptions and dinner parties. The drawing room and music room had fifteen foot ceilings and the walls were papered in green, watered silk. A stained-glass skylight illuminated the impressive staircase.

In 1916 after Cox’s death two years prior, H.H. Fudger – then president of Robert Simpson’s Department Store, bought the house and used it as a residence for Simpson’s out-of-town female employees – young women who came to the city to find work. Both Fudger and Simpson were prominent figures in the Christian community of Toronto and abided by the values of the church. The church did not want Simpson’s young female employees wandering the seemingly scary streets of early-20th-century Toronto alone, or living by themselves, so as an alternative Fudger House provided accommodation.

Interestingly, H.H. Fudger was a prominent Toronto businessman and philanthropist, whose participation in social programs helped start a community-minded tradition. He was one of the founding fathers of the Sherbourne Street Methodist Church, which opened for worship 5 June 1887. The Sherbourne Street Methodist Church is presently known as St. Luke’s United Church – a landmark that has been extensively researched. H.H. Fudger’s name can still be found on a memorial stained-glass window in the present-day church.

Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Return to “Grab Bag”