Vehicle Repair: Dealer vs. Independant

A potpourri of off-topics.
boxman180
Fledgling

Vehicle Repair: Dealer vs. Independant

Post by boxman180 »

The title says it all. Should I take my vehicle with expired warranty to an independent mechanic, auto service center(excluding Canadian Tire or Walmart) or a dealership?
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Vehicle Repair:Dealer vs. Independant

Post by Dizzy1 »

I'd take your car to someplace that is familiar with your type of vehicle, even for an oil change. I had a MK4 Volkswagen and brought it to one of the quick lube place for an oil change. The thing with the Mk4 VWs is the design of the oil pan drain plug, its very easy to over torque and if you get someone who doesn't know that, it'll strip the plug as was the case with mine. Personally, I don't feel I save any money at non-dealership places, so I go to the dealership.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

I only go to a dealership if there's something particularly quirky and a pain in the A$$ like Ford spark plugs from 2005+on 5.4l, I figure they can be more efficient.
Everything else I go independent
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Main difference between dealerships & independent shops (not quick oil change places) is usually labour prices (dealerships tend to be much higher, does not mean mechanic is any better), if you dig around on this site you will find threads asking for best place to get vehicle repairs done.

I for one never go to any of those places in first set of brackets above.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

If it is a newer car loaded with electronics, you are just about stuck with the dealer. Older nicer stuff you can go to an independent.
We're lost but we're making good time.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Just the thought of going to a dealership makes my bank account nervous. An independent just a little less but better.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Subject: Vehicle Repair:Dealer vs. Independant

Nibs wrote:If it is a newer car loaded with electronics, you are just about stuck with the dealer. Older nicer stuff you can go to an independent.

Only if you have electric/hybrid car, all others the independent shops can do. Given a little time they will have the equipment to do them s well.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
xjeepguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by xjeepguy »

GordonH wrote:Main difference between dealerships & independent shops (not quick oil change places) is usually labour prices (dealerships tend to be much higher, does not mean mechanic is any better), if you dig around on this site you will find threads asking for best place to get vehicle repairs done.

I for one never go to any of those places in first set of brackets above.

I get a better deal on a Synthetic oil and filter change at my dealer then any of those quick lube joints .
When a man opens a car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new wife
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

First off, it's my understanding that even if your vehicle is under warrantee, as long as you service it as required at a qualified shop it doesn't have to go to the dealer for regular service. Keep all your service records etc.

I have a new vehicle (a couple of years old now, but at the time of the story brand new)

10,000 or so KMs on it, down in Washington State I accelerated on an on ramp and the vehicle started misfiring, got off the freeway, sounded and felt like it was running on 2 cylinders.

Pressed the navigation button for a nearby dealer and bingo, one a few blocks away. Went in there they scoped it and found and error code "must be the ECM (electronic control module) but this is a Canadian vehicle we'll need to contact Canadian HQ (Ontario)". By 2:00 PM their calls hadn't been returned by Canadian HQ and their next call was answered with a recording "we are closed", nothing they could do, gotta love living out West.

The irony is this vehicle, although a foreign make was built in the USA, but they needed a Canadian download to fix it ?????

I tentatively continued with the trip and the red warning light went out and the car ran fine.

When I returned to Canada I went to the dealer I bought the car from. It was due for a service etc. They checked everything and couldn't find a thing.

I later went to the tire store I deal with who also does mechanical work (NOT Canadian Tire). I mentioned in passing what had happened. One of the mechanics said "Oh sure I know what it was, there's a rev limiter on the vehicle if you go over a preset RPM it screws with the computer and it runs like an old tractor for a little while til it re-sets. The warning light etc will go off after a few hours and everything will be back to normal". (which is exactly what happened)

Two dealership didn't have a clue, the tire store solved it in seconds.

Guess who now services all my vehicles.

I've found the service at my particular dealer is sub par. I go there if there is a recall and it has to be fixed on warrantee (only one minor one)

Ironically I will never buy this make of vehicle again, but not because of the make of vehicle, but because of the dealer I will have to deal with, sad.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Re: Vehicle Repair: Dealer vs. Independant

Post by kgcayenne »

My previous vehicle was mostly dealer serviced with the exception of some higher performance parts (OEM rad was plastic, I replaced with metal, etc). I received top dollar when I traded it in because it ran smooth and tight for a 14 yr old car. The difference in maintenance costs between dealer and independent servicing was much more than covered (I just shredded those papers this year) . Actually, we recently found that very car (9 years later) for sale at a price we felt was too high; it sold quicker than we thought, so someone paid that price.

Over the past 9 years, I have also dealer serviced this car, which still runs tight and smooth.

Car maintenance: Pay now, or pay later.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.

Return to “Grab Bag”