Costco switches to MasterCard in Canada

A potpourri of off-topics.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Costco switches to MasterCard in Canada

Post by oneh2obabe »

One of Canada’s biggest retailers is switching credit card providers after negotiations with its current supplier broke down.

Costco Wholesale Corp. says it will stop accepting all American Express Co. cards in its 88 Canadian stores, starting Jan. 1.

The U.S. based warehouse club retailer said it would begin accepting MasterCard instead.

“This is a huge opportunity for MasterCard and Costco to increase membership, offer more value, better benefits and increased savings for cardholders and Costco members,” MasterCard Canada president Betty DeVita said in a statement Thursday afternoon.

More details about the new cards will be available in the coming weeks, the MasterCard statement said.

Costco members that have the current TrueEarnings or American Express Platinum Cash Rebate card will continue to earn cash rebates on those cards until Dec. 31, 2014, Costco Canada said.

Costco said its ending its relationship with American Express after talks to renegotiate its agreement broke down. No further details were provided.

“The credit card relationship between American Express and Costco Wholesale Canada will not be renewed when it expires on Dec. 31,” Lorelle Gilpin, vice president of marketing and membership for Costco Wholesale Canada, said in an email to Canadian customers.

“The terms of the contract were up, AmEx and Costco entered into negotiations and were unable to come to terms,” David Barnes, a spokesman for AmEx in Canada, said in a phone interview with Bloomberg.

AmEx is currently the only credit card Costco accepts in its stores.

The move affects only Costco’s Canadian stores. Its U.S. stores will continue to accept most AmEx cards.

Industry observers said they suspect merchant fees were the sticking point in the negotiations between AmEx and Costco.

A growing number of retailers have been pushing back against their credit card suppliers, saying the processing fees are getting out of control.

Costco’s gross profit margins are much slimmer than most retailers, as little as 15 per cent or less, so any increase in credit card fees would hit them harder, industry observers said.

AmEx’s merchant fees are generally higher than either Visa or MasterCard, though Costco likely had a special deal because it offered AmEx exclusivity, observers said

“Costco has some of the smallest margins in retail,” said Alex Arifuzzaman, a principal in retail consulting firm InterStratics. “Half a percentage point increase (in merchants fees) increase would be a bigger deal to Costco than to other retailers.”

The Costco relationship represented a “sizable portfolio” for AmEx in Canada, Barnes said, without elaborating.

Costco Canada is one of Canada’s biggest retailers with estimated sales of $17.8 billion in 2013. Each store has about 110,000 members.

AmEx Canada said it planned to aggressively market its new cash-back card to Costco members as well as other Canadians as an alternative to the co-branded Costco card.

http://www.thestar.com/business/2014/09 ... anada.html
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Re: Costco switches to MasterCard in Canada

Post by Captain Awesome »

Oh, that's why my Mastercard stock went up by 2% today...
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I hope we get as good a deal or better from Mastercard as we did from Amex.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
matai
Banned

Post by matai »

oneh2obabe wrote:Each store has about 110,000 members.

That's 85 stores X 110,000 = 9,350,000 Canadian members? Or 25% of the population including children? Sure.
Last edited by matai on Sep 18th, 2014, 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

All the members don't shop at the store at the same time. She said about, some have more or less. Considering everyone from the Kooteneys to the South Okanagan to the Shuswap shops at Kelowna Costco I can easily see that number being accurate here.

I do wish they had picked Visa though. Guess I'll stick to debit.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
matai
Banned

Post by matai »

Traveling from the Kootenays?
Last edited by matai on Sep 18th, 2014, 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

That depends on what you are buying. I have been a Costco shopper for years and I have it down to an art now. Superstore doesn't hold a candle to them for meat and cheese for one.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

I've seen people from Grand Forks coming up and loading pickup trucks with food and goods at Costco.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

We have family and friends in Nelson who make several trips a year to stock up.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

matai wrote:Traveling from the Kootenays?

Yes they do. There's this thing that was invented called the automobile which allows consumers to shop far and wide.

Imagine!

jennylives wrote:That depends on what you are buying. I have been a Costco shopper for years and I have it down to an art now. Superstore doesn't hold a candle to them for meat and cheese for one.

Same here. Been buying there for years but one has to be smart and know what is a good buy and what is better sourced elsewhere.

Next to impossible to beat their Pharmacy prices so for some that alone justifies the cost of membership. Pickles and TP are a good deal too, in addition to their meat and cheese.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

There are just so many items that are either cheaper or better quality at Costco it more than pays for the membership cost.
Will have to wait and see what if any benefits there will be with a mastercard. We originally got the AMEX for the extended warranty and convenience when buying big ticket items.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
matai
Banned

Post by matai »

CardMaster usually doubles the manufacturer'S warranty, for free.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Prescriptions alone, in fact some of the over the counter drugs lone pay for our membership. I use the Kirkland Back pain tablets, basically Tylenol and save a fortune. I find they work better than Tylenol and know others who say the same. My doctor told me it is likely due to the carrier they use. In other words everyone would be different, but for me they are definitely the best and by far the cheapest.

We love Costco.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
matai
Banned

Post by matai »

I can't wait for them to sell beer, then I'll get a membership.

In the meantime their hot dogs and pop deal is unbeatable.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

The main reason I let my membership lapse 6 or 7 years ago is because they wouldn't take Mastercard. I think I may sign up for Costco again because of this news.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray

Return to “Grab Bag”