Costco switches to MasterCard in Canada

A potpourri of off-topics.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Costco switches to MasterCard in Canada

Post by Bsuds »

We buy the whole Sirloin and cut it ourselves. It's a bit cheaper and I get the size steak I want. No tenderizing either.

We signed up for the new card yesterday. I have a big purchase coming up and the double rebate will help pay for it.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

wanderingman wrote:that is just plane bs at its deepest

What part is BS ? That they blade tenderize, or that one should cook the beef well done ?

Both pieces of information are contained on the meat label, provided by Costco.

The problem is that consumers don't equate the warning on each package to "cook to and internal temperature of 160 degrees Fahrenheit" to "well done".
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

oneh2obabe wrote:Even though it’s not mandatory yet to label meat that has been mechanically tenderized, some retailers in the U.S. and Canada are starting to provide labels voluntarily, so keep an eye out for such disclosure on packaging. After bladed steaks sold by Costco were linked to an E. coli outbreak in Canada in September 2012, Costco began labeling its mechanically tenderized beef. A Costco spokesman told us all of its beef is tenderized by machines except for filets and flank steaks.
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/maga ... /index.htm

Actually, oneh2obabe, it is now mandatory in Canada.

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/food/labell ... 75?chap=18

The problem, IMO, is that because of the potential for litigation, manufacturers of so many products print all sorts of warnings on products. Many of these warnings are nonsensical and as a result we perhaps have become blind to warnings.

We've all purchase a product such as a toaster, that contains a warning in the literature, "Don't use in the shower".

My personal favorite is a label affixed to the exterior of an electric slicer that I bought. I had used the slicer for years when one day my wife pointed out that a warning label affixed to an obvious place on the exterior of the slicer, stated "Warning do not use slicer completely assembled". The same slicer states in bold letters printed on the body of the slicer "Professional", the first line of the user manual states "for personal home use only"

As a result of all these "the sky is falling" warnings, we've become complacent when seeing warnings (and frequently not reading them carefully or even at all) and have difficulty separating the "technical, lawyer speak warnings" from the warnings we should take note of.

I'm sure that I could buy a MTB (Mechanically Tenderized Beef) beef steak at Costco and eat it completely uncooked/raw and live to tell the tale. Likely I could put one round in a 6 shot revolver spin the cylinder and pull the trigger while the gun is pointed at my head and have a moderately good chance (5 in 6) of living to tell the tale. In fact I would have a much better chance with the steak than the revolver. But if I have a choice of buying non-MTB verses MTB, why not.

The warnings on MTB packages state that the internal temperature of the product should have reached 145 degree Fahrenheit, but how many consumer then equate that to reality which is WELL DONE. Some suggest the temperature should be as high as 165 degrees.

Further, the warning contained on the packages of MTB at Costco is printed on the same label and in the same color and font as the weight and pricing information. I wonder how many customers have even noticed the warning, or additionally considered the reality of what it said.

You do know that after serving grandma the nice rare roast for Sunday dinner and grandma getting extremely sick from E. coli poisoning, Costco's lawyers will point out the warning.

Don't get me wrong, I love Costco and love Costco's meat. I just don't buy their beef roasts or pre-cut beef steaks. I buy their beef tenderloin, which is not mechanically tenderized and their ground beef that I know I must cook to an internal temperature of 145 degrees F.

LoneWolf_53 wrote:Indeed you have "said it before" and apparently jump at any opportunity to repeat your fear mongering.

I make no excuse for my statement and I don't hide the fact that I've said it before. It followed a comment about "how good Costco's meat is".

As for "fear mongering". Is there a warning on each package of Costco MTB ? Does it say cook the meat thoroughly ?

There are several versions of the definition of "fear mongering" most of us take it to be "someone who spreads fear, or needlessly raises the alarm" Am I stating something that Costco itself isn't already stating ?
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

my5cents wrote:There are several versions of the definition of "fear mongering" most of us take it to be "someone who spreads fear, or needlessly raises the alarm" Am I stating something that Costco itself isn't already stating ?

Given that their product is clearly labelled, along with the fact that other vendors engage in the same process, then yes I'd say you are needlessly raising an alarm since it's specifically Costco you are fixated on.

If people are going to cook, then they should be aware of how to do it properly, or leave it to someone who does know how to do so.

Hamburger has the exact same potential to sicken people, and is sold in every place that offers meat, yet no such obsessive concern in that regard.

People/the end users, need to educate themselves and take to heart warnings of potential harm. I know people who used to, and for all I know still do, like their burgers medium rare, this despite all the warnings and direction to fully cook such meat for obvious reasons.

Should they find themselves talking on the great white telephone, the blame is all their own and not the farmer's, cows, or butcher.

Since blade tenderized product is clearly marked as such, the onus is on the buyer to know what they are buying, and how to cook it properly. Products having too many labels these days is not an excuse.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:Given that their product is clearly labelled, along with the fact that other vendors engage in the same process, then yes I'd say you are needlessly raising an alarm since it's specifically Costco you are fixated on.

The Discussion Forum topic was Costco and the comment was the "great meat". I commented.

Had the topic been another retailer for which I had knowledge of the practice of selling MTB, I would have commented.

LoneWolf_53 wrote:If people are going to cook, then they should be aware of how to do it properly, or leave it to someone who does know how to do so.
Hamburger has the exact same potential to sicken people, and is sold in every place that offers meat, yet no such obsessive concern in that regard.

Yes, you are quite correct, hamburger has the exact same potential. The difference is quite remarkable. If you ask 100 people, most will know the risks of under cooked hamburger. The same can not be said for MTB and that is the exact reason for my caveat.

LoneWolf_53 wrote:People/the end users, need to educate themselves and take to heart warnings of potential harm. I know people who used to, and for all I know still do, like their burgers medium rare, this despite all the warnings and direction to fully cook such meat for obvious reasons.

Should they find themselves talking on the great white telephone, the blame is all their own and not the farmer's, cows, or butcher.

Since blade tenderized product is clearly marked as such, the onus is on the buyer to know what they are buying, and how to cook it properly. Products having too many labels these days is not an excuse.

A couple of things here. For one I take issue with your mention, twice, of "clearly marked". A warning on a label should stand out. The last time I was in Costco I took a look at one of the beef labels on some MTB and noted that the color and font and placement of the warning did not stand out, in the least.

As for those who do still cook their ground beef medium rare, consider this. If I'm having dinner and your house and you cook me a hamburger that is rare, I know that it is hamburger and I can see that it is rare.

If I'm at your place and you serve a rare roast or rare steak, I don't know where you purchase the meat, if it was mechanically tenderized or not, or if you know the difference.

Can discussing this topic hurt ?

I'm surprised how it seems some have the attitude "quit talking about MTB, everything is OK, you are just wrongly raising concerns". When I heard about MTB, I was surprised but glad that I had learned about it and could now make an informed decision. In my daily life I'd rather be aware of potential problems and take what I feel is the proper and appropriate action.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

The topic of this thread was Costco and Mastercard. Maybe we can get back to that and someone can start a thread on the meat if they so choose.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Jo
Slot 16

Post by Jo »

Keep it on topic, people. Unless 'mastercard' is a sirloin steak, the discussion of meat in this thread is off-topic.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

I am just glad that I can now use my beloved MC to buy bulk items that I will never use at my third favorite store.

And 5 cents; lighten up.

And yes, I am back from dropping dead. It was only temporary.

And I always though that Amex was an odd choice od CC for them to make. It is the least accepted (I think) CC in the free world.

MC makes much more sense.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition

Return to “Grab Bag”