Costco switches to MasterCard in Canada

A potpourri of off-topics.
mexi cali
Guru

Re: Costco switches to MasterCard in Canada

Post by mexi cali »

Is it simply Master Card or do you need a special Master Card card that you can only get from Costco?
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

mexicalidreamer wrote:Is it simply Master Card or do you need a special Master Card card that you can only get from Costco?

Pretty much the same as the AMEX. If you get one it is your membership card as well but they will accept any Mastercard.

BTW for those who apply before Jan 2015 you will get double your money back till Jan 1st.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Yes I was in there yesterday and they will take any Mastercard.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Thank you both.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

You're welcome.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
westbankkid
Übergod

Post by westbankkid »

jennylives wrote:That depends on what you are buying. I have been a Costco shopper for years and I have it down to an art now. Superstore doesn't hold a candle to them for meat and cheese for one.

Their meat prices are the highest in the country. If you havn't tried Superstores meat lately, try it. It has changed tremendously in the last year. It is excellent.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

westbankkid wrote:Their meat prices are the highest in the country.

We compare meat prices constantly and except for sale specials Costco is not more expensive and their quality is better than most.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

westbankkid wrote:Their meat prices are the highest in the country.

Nonsense!
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:Next to impossible to beat their Pharmacy prices so for some that alone justifies the cost of membership. Pickles and TP are a good deal too, in addition to their meat and cheese.

If you're talking prescriptions, you don't need a Costco membership to buy prescripted medication at Costco. Downside, if you're an executive member you also don't get the 2% rebate on prescriptions.

There are lots of good deals at Costco, but you have to know your prices, because if you watch you can beat their prices from time to time.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. WATCH Costco's meat, most Costco beef cuts are blade tenderized so if you don't like your beef cooked well done there are only a few beef items you can safely us.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

my5cents wrote:I've said it before and I'll say it again. WATCH Costco's meat, most Costco beef cuts are blade tenderized so if you don't like your beef cooked well done there are only a few beef items you can safely us.

Indeed you have "said it before" and apparently jump at any opportunity to repeat your fear mongering.

Odd how many commercial restaurant entities obtain meat from Costco, yet I've not heard a peep of anyone dying or even getting sick from Costco meat.

To give any validity to your concern there should be people dropping all over the place.

I've actually had more issues with recalled items that were on the shelf at the other grocery stores.
wanderingman
Übergod

Post by wanderingman »

jennylives wrote:That depends on what you are buying. I have been a Costco shopper for years and I have it down to an art now. Superstore doesn't hold a candle to them for meat and cheese for one.

I DISAGREE been buying meat at Costco for years.Last couple years the quality has deteriated.I bought striploin at super store last 3 times, same price or less than Costco and better steak.Same with fresh boneless chicken breast as good or better price than Costco and as good or better quality. Have not checked cheese prices as of late but I saw super store had 5 lbs chedder on for 26.00 last time I bought chedder at costco it was 14.00 for 2 lbs
wanderingman
Übergod

Post by wanderingman »

my5cents wrote:
I've said it before and I'll say it again. WATCH Costco's meat, most Costco beef cuts are blade tenderized so if you don't like your beef cooked well done there are only a few beef items you can safely us.

that is just plane bs at its deepest
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

my5cents wrote:I've said it before and I'll say it again. WATCH Costco's meat, most Costco beef cuts are blade tenderized so if you don't like your beef cooked well done there are only a few beef items you can safely us.

LoneWolf_53 wrote:Indeed you have "said it before" and apparently jump at any opportunity to repeat your fear mongering.

Odd how many commercial restaurant entities obtain meat from Costco, yet I've not heard a peep of anyone dying or even getting sick from Costco meat.

Even though it’s not mandatory yet to label meat that has been mechanically tenderized, some retailers in the U.S. and Canada are starting to provide labels voluntarily, so keep an eye out for such disclosure on packaging. After bladed steaks sold by Costco were linked to an E. coli outbreak in Canada in September 2012, Costco began labeling its mechanically tenderized beef. A Costco spokesman told us all of its beef is tenderized by machines except for filets and flank steaks.
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/maga ... /index.htm
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Costco meat is no better quality than anyone else (namely in the beef department). It all come from the same place, but people like their e-coli laced meat better because they tenderize the heck out of the meat before selling.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

I'm of the mind that people should read labels and warnings, which from my observation have been on most meat for ages now.

It says right on that pic to cook it to 160C so if people don't adhere to those guidelines and get sick, how is it the fault of the meat?

Return to “Grab Bag”