Display model TV, discount?

A potpourri of off-topics.
Logitack
Walks on Forum Water

Display model TV, discount?

Post by Logitack »

there is this model, samsung 8500 plasma TV that the dealer has, but it is a demo, they have nothing else in stock.

how much should I expect as a discount off a new TV? 100, 200, 300? btw, there was a price reduction of about 40% already on this model, but for a NEW one;)

just wondering what others think or have received because the TV was a floor model.
zookeeper
Walks on Forum Water

Re: display model TV, discount?

Post by zookeeper »

I bought a floor model once. They had a sale on a model I really liked, we were so excited as we still had the old get up and change the 2 channels and adjust the bunny ears kind, but only had the floor model left. They gave us a bit off the sale price, it wasn't a cheap tv. It lasted about 2 years, just enough time for the warranty to be up. My old tv was 20 years old and not a thing wrong with it. I would never buy a floor model again, even at half the price.
WeatherWoman
Wicked Witch of the West Coast

Post by WeatherWoman »

I think standard is another 10% off.
"It takes a village to raise a fool." ~ Dan Mangan
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Our TV is a floor model. It's a 52" Sony that was the model right below the XBR at the time. We received $500 off the sticker price for a new one and paid around $1,500.00. They threw in a free calibration too. We have had it for almost 4 years now and everything still works great.
Last edited by JLives on Oct 15th, 2014, 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Logitack
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Logitack »

wow, %500 off?

calibration eh...thats a good thought...

rubs hands together....mawwwwhaaa....
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Works out to 25% off, $2,000 - $500 = $1,500

Not big fan of plasma TV they generate a lot of heat, makes me wonder what there utility consumption happens to be.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Instead of trying to get a bargain on a questionable item, I'd drive down to Costco in US and get yourself a TV there with bullet-proof warranty. But that's me.

$1500 will get you a 60' Samsung Smart LED TV.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Best to check out if the warranty is valid in Canada for products purchased in the US.

Buying Plasma/LCD TV from the US (Warranty In Canada)

LG: Extended Warranty does not cover "Any equipment located outside the United States." I'm assuming the regular limited warranty is the same thing.

Panasonic: no service in Canada, bring back to US

Samsung: "This limited warranty begins on the original date of purchase, and is valid only on products purchased and used in the United States." (from US warranty doc)

Sharp: "From a Sharp Authorized Servicer located in the United States. To find the location of the nearest Sharp Authorized Servicer, please call Sharp toll free at 1-800-BE-SHARP."

Sony: "This Limited Warranty is valid only on products purchased and located in the United States (excluding territories) or United States military facilities." (from US warranty doc)

Toshiba: "LCD TELEVISIONS PURCHASED IN THE U.S.A. AND USED ANYWHERE OUTSIDE OF THE U.S.A., INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, CANADA AND MEXICO, ARE NOT COVERED BY THESE WARRANTIES." (from US warranty doc)

Vizio: "Covers units purchased and currently located in the 50 United States and Puerto Rico."
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

oneh2obabe wrote:Best to check out if the warranty is valid in Canada for products purchased in the US.

I've asked this already, and been told the same 2 year warranty applies. You can even return them in Canadian locations no problem.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Is that for TV's purchased at Costco?
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Captain Awesome wrote:Instead of trying to get a bargain on a questionable item, I'd drive down to Costco in US and get yourself a TV there with bullet-proof warranty. But that's me.

$1500 will get you a 60' Samsung Smart LED TV.

If you don't want to pay the duty on it you will have to be in the US for over 48 hrs. So there goes your savings (if any) if you have to pay for a Motel/Hotel.

My understanding is that Plazma TV's are on the way out and will soon no longer be manufactured. They also use a lot more power than LCD's and produce more heat. (good in the winter I suppose)
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Logitack
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Display model TV, discount?

Post by Logitack »

the samsung plasma model f8500 is rated a top buy by every review site i came across, saying the picture quality and other features being excellent.

but i guess i will heed the warnings regarding floor models and the heat of the plasma. not sure how much more electricity it consumes vs LED backlit.

didnt bother going down to talk with the sales folk.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

oneh2obabe wrote:Is that for TV's purchased at Costco?

Correct.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Logitack wrote:
but i guess i will heed the warnings regarding floor models and the heat of the plasma. not sure how much more electricity it consumes vs LED backlit.

http://www.rtings.com/info/lcd-vs-led-v ... icity-cost

Twice as much apparently.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
tgm929
Board Meister

Post by tgm929 »

Bsuds wrote:
If you don't want to pay the duty on it you will have to be in the US for over 48 hrs. So there goes your savings (if any) if you have to pay for a Motel/Hotel.)

Wrong. Duty on a $1500 TV being brought into BC would be $84 no matter how long you were away. Even if you were away 48 hours the TV cost is over your exemption amount anyway.

Unless the TV was actually made in a NAFTA country, then there would be no duty at all....no matter how long you were away.

Return to “Grab Bag”