Asphalt driveway on a hill?

A potpourri of off-topics.
Kuhltiffany

Asphalt driveway on a hill?

Post by Kuhltiffany »

Is it possible to fix/repair/re-do an asphalt driveway on a hill? We live in Black Mountain and have one of the up-hill driveways. We've been told that it's near impossible to have the driveway fixed anymore, that it will need to be changed to concrete.

We just moved here from ON so have no idea…any advice would be appreciated :)
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Asphalt driveway on a hill?

Post by Relentless »

Kuhltiffany wrote: We've been told that it's near impossible to have the driveway fixed anymore

Who told you such non-sense?
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Phone a few different companies.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
Kuhltiffany

Post by Kuhltiffany »

Neighbor with a similar driveway. He was told that last time he got someone to fix his...

UltraViolet wrote:Who told you such non-sense?
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Kuhltiffany wrote:Neighbor with a similar driveway. He was told that last time he got someone to fix his...

Find out what company that is, and avoid hiring them.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

anything is possible for the right amount of money.
a concrete drive is far more expensive to install and to repair when it cracks.
but yes, your drive is repairable IF it was initially installed properly.
LOL the last person I would listen to is my neighbour, but then my neighbour is an expert on absolutely everything and has never done a days worth of manual labour in his life.... plus the $'s they spend and then just have to redo in 6 months time around their place is a joke, including the fiasco of 3 months to install 3 rooms of hardwood flooring.... that contractor pegged him at the get go, had him living in dust and mess for the whole time, and ended up he had to finally break the piggy bank and call in a professional to redo the project in the end... the redo? took 4 days from start to finish!
To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. - David A. Bednar
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Concrete lasts longer and looks better, and the cracks are not hard to fix. Just don't put corrosive salt on it in the winter. I fixed my cracks 3 weeks ago for $20. That said, it's not hard to pave a driveway with asphalt...unless you're in the concrete business.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

Driving in the Sierra's in Mexico, it is always interesting to see the road surface change from asphalt to concrete, it gets so hot on some of the south facing steep hills that the asphalt slides down the hill, big trucks and buses help when they are in low gear going up, they can help the asphalt slide downwards.
We're lost but we're making good time.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Glacier wrote:Concrete lasts longer and looks better, and the cracks are not hard to fix. Just don't put corrosive salt on it in the winter. I fixed my cracks 3 weeks ago for $20. That said, it's not hard to pave a driveway with asphalt...unless you're in the concrete business.

To OP if you are planning on staying in this location for more then 10 years, then I would go with concrete. If done properly it will out last asphalt.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.

Return to “Grab Bag”