What is it with people's avatars these days?

A potpourri of off-topics.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: What is it with people's avatars these days?

Post by Queen K »

Are you suggesting Sobrohusfat has poached an Israeli symbol and is now in the category of internet criminal, a sublime mixture of Anonymous and net' thug?
Last edited by Queen K on Dec 27th, 2014, 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
sobrohusfat
Guru

Post by sobrohusfat »

WTTG wrote:...In the interests of making an analogy that you might understand...

I once tracked down the legal owner of every image and every story before displaying them on a website. In each instance where permission wasn't instantly given, the only deciding factor was whether or not the section of the site where i planned on displaying the images/story was intended for a commercial purpose. Since it was not, no problem.

Here's what i understand - certain people enjoy manufacturing offence where no injustice or injury is taking place. Most often the result is an environment stifled with over-regulation. - Greed, discord and lawyers absolutely love it.
The adventure continues...

No good story ever started with; "So i stayed home."
WTTG

Post by WTTG »

Queen K wrote:Are you suggesting Sobrohusfat has poached an Israeli symbol and is now in the category of internet criminal, a sublime mixture of Anonymous and net' thug?

No. Just seeking a little empathy from someone who seems to be a furrier for someone who makes a partial living through photography. Sorry, analogy . . . woosh?
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

I will wait for the owners of the images I use to contact me and ask me remove it.

I suspect it will be a long wait
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
WTTG

Post by WTTG »

sobrohusfat wrote:
I once tracked down the legal owner of every image and every story before displaying them on a website. In each instance where permission wasn't instantly given, the only deciding factor was whether or not the section of the site where i planned on displaying the images/story was intended for a commercial purpose. Since it was not, no problem.

Here's what i understand - certain people enjoy manufacturing offence where no injustice or injury is taking place. Most often the result is an environment stifled with over-regulation. - Greed, discord and lawyers absolutely love it.

Since it seems you knew who the originators were for the stories and images that you used, did you credit them for their work?
WTTG

Post by WTTG »

GordonH wrote:I will wait for the owners of the images I use to contact me and ask me remove it.

I suspect it will be a long wait

We believe there may be a couple of possible problems with your present avatar under the present terms of 'fair use' in Canada as we have posted them previously. First of all it appears to be based on a trademark. Second, you use it repeatedly as what seems to be a personal symbol. But in your present case, under the terms of 'fair use' in Canada as we understand them, we think you may be entitled to wait and see. And if they contact you, they might ask you only to remove the image or give credit to its legal owners. This is strictly an opinion, though, and we eagerly stand by to be corrected.

Afterthought, as we mentioned this before:

GordonH wrote:Mine for most part are either sports team &/or sports event, my current one is for WJC.

You seem to know who owns the image, why not move a step ahead and give credit for the image in your signature line? That would at least follow you wherever you go.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

The way I see it once an image is on the internet, its out there for anyone to grab it.
Since it almost impossible to police the net.

I don't use ones that the owner has watermarked. What I have noticed is photographers place the mark on the edge, instead of in middle of picture. The latter would be the better way keep honest grabers away.

added: as I mentioned earlier if the owner of any thing I use as avatar, contacts me & asks me to remove it. I would with no issues.
Last edited by GordonH on Dec 27th, 2014, 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
WTTG

Post by WTTG »

So, please come again, why not give credit in your signature space?
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

^^^ if you have not noticed no room. Only allowed so many letters
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
WTTG

Post by WTTG »

Hey, thanks Bsuds! Great research, great read! It's from the US, but it's worth a thought.
Last edited by WTTG on Dec 30th, 2014, 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
WTTG

Post by WTTG »

Bsuds wrote:Some interesting info here. http://www.socialmediaexaminer.com/copy ... ne-images/

Finished reading and digesting. It's a very good article

The comments posted beneath it are worth a read as well.

Thanks should go out to our good friend logicalview, too . . ..
But, thanks again Bsuds.
Last edited by WTTG on Dec 30th, 2014, 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I thought this thread was supposed to be lighthearted, but what do I know.

NOTE: the above meme was shamelessly used without permission.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
WTTG

Post by WTTG »

Sorry for the fright. We hope someone will put this tread back on track and start the fun again, as Glacier intended.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

My avatar is a representation of my vocation not some kind of weird fetish. LOL and it's not a full representation as some times I cut trees down, though they do get a hug first.

Although somedays I feel like this:
chainsaw-smiley-emoticon.gif

Return to “Grab Bag”