What is with the reporting lately?

A potpourri of off-topics.
omisimaw
Guru

What is with the reporting lately?

Post by omisimaw »

This is by no means the first time on Castanet this has happened but it is the most recent I have seen.
This story http://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/129715/Vernon-woman-found
had an update yesterday stating the RCMP had not found the woman and still wanted the public help
That little tidbit is now gone and they are now saying she was found....
Might be a bit better to actually report something instead of just deleting parts and replacing them ....
In other words:

Story

Update or edit

Update to the update

a little explanation of why the updates are changing provides continuity and gives the actual report some credence.

Would it have hurt to start with the prior update was incorrect, or the woman was finally located after the last update.... and in this case the update stated there was an error from "somewhere" that had stated she had been found so where did it state that????

Oh right probably an original update that was also deleted....

gee..sssssh!!!!! so annoying!
To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. - David A. Bednar
Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Re: What is with the reporting lately?

Post by Catz »

I do believe that you need to pm the editors directly, as been direct in past.
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

I don't believe anyone needs to PM the editors directly.... after all they are supposed to know what is going on so they must think this type of trashy reporting is up to their standard!
Guess they think it is not noticed LOL....
One day it will come back to bite them in the backside!
To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. - David A. Bednar
Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catz »

omisimaw wrote:I don't believe anyone needs to PM the editors directly.... after all they are supposed to know what is going on so they must think this type of trashy reporting is up to their standard!

I think the editors might think different that there work is trash.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Actually I think Castanet is the least of our "problems", the entire news media seems to be afraid to report anything. Local TV is a joke, regional in Vancouver isn't much better.

The Okanagan newspapers are thinner than grocery store flyers, with less information.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

omisimaw wrote:I don't believe anyone needs to PM the editors directly.... after all they are supposed to know what is going on so they must think this type of trashy reporting is up to their standard!

Catz wrote:I think the editors might think different that there work is trash.

Well have fun telling them! Because I stand by what I stated ... if they are supervising those that are continually engaging in the noted trashy journalism then their work may also need to be reviewed by their supervisors!
Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catz »

Well have fun telling them! Because I stand by what I stated ... if they are supervising those that are continually engaging in the noted trashy journalism then their work may also need to be reviewed by their supervisors!

Hmmm...noted, trashy journalism....I do believe no negative reviews allowed....I do believe the mods in previous stated to direct your complaints to castanet directly, not the forums. If you don't like what is posted you have a right not to read it. I am going to love seeing how this turns out. Que in Jepordy theme.....
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

If you have concerns about news stories or how they are presented, contact [email protected] and let them know. Nobody here can help you.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

This thread was not posted as any form of negative review, it is a post about what appears to be a very annoying journalistic style!
I am stating an opinion of something that is a pain in the butt. Once something has been published then there are certain ways, proper journalistic ways to amend, update, retract what has been written, not simply delete the whole inaccurate or prior statement as if it never had been!
This has been happening here on Castanet, hence the reference to the latest EXAMPLE of an article where it took place.
I do not see this behaviour on other digital news servers but am also not saying it is not a practice that happens elsewhere.
I have posted it in General Discussion, Grab Bag because I thought it worthy of other peoples thoughts of how they feel about the practice.
I did not post it looking for sarcasm or assistance.... if you like this type of news reporting fine, but I do not!
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

How will they know you take issue with the way they post/update stories unless you contact them and voice your concerns?
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Whenever I have contacted them about an error they have corrected it and thanked me for pointing it out to them.
If you don't contact them with your concerns/questions then you are never going to see it corrected.
Then all you have is a negative review. IMO
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

Actually I could care less as it shows to me the style and attention to detail of the news they are reporting and I get the total picture from elsewhere.
I find the practice annoying and obvious, so it goes to their reputation.
If they are not concerned then so be it but for sure it would be something someone would be responsible to ensure was not happening.
Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catz »

They deal with it the proper way. Simple for most folks
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

*removed*

RECOMMENDED BEST PRACTICES IN DIGITAL ACCURACY AND CORRECTIONS

Accuracy and transparency are vital aspects of journalistic responsibility in all publishing platforms. Admitting mistakes can be embarrassing, but not admitting them can be more damaging to our credibility. Therefore we recommend the following practices.

Transparency

All verified factual errors in digital content should be corrected promptly.
We should aim for transparency, telling audiences when digital content has been amended or corrected.
While we should not “scrub” content, minor editing to correct spelling and grammar errors that do not alter the meaning of the content for the reader may be amended without including a corrective note.
In correcting and amending developing content, particularly in a breaking news story in which sometimes contradictory facts will emerge over time, we should be transparent with audiences throughout the reporting process about what we know and when we know it. When there is a significant verified change in the information first published, subsequent files should inform audiences about how the new information differs from what was first reported.

Placement

When we verify factual errors in digital content, we should amend the copy to make it correct. In all but the most insignificant errors, we should also append a clearly visible note to the article to tell readers that the material was changed/edited/corrected from a previously published version and provide explicit details about what was corrected. For example: An earlier version of this article misstated the overnight price of a litre of gas as $2.40.

FYI taken from Best practices in digital accuracy and correction Report of the Ethics Advisory Committee of The Canadian Association of Journalists
Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catz »

hey...break any rules! You have the green light. Carry on. Hope you get your answers.

Return to “Grab Bag”