Daylight saving time, it's baaaaaack!

A potpourri of off-topics.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: Daylight saving time, it's baaaaaack!

Post by Glacier »

Clearly not having a time change causes a nation become poor. Look at North Korea and Africa.

Areas that use daylight saving time are marked in blue. Those that have used it in the past but stopped are in orange, while those that have never used it are in red.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Bump

Instead of seeing another thread on this subject, I dugout this since tonight is spring ahead 1 hour.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

Awesome! Another hour of daylight starting tomorrow. :D
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Ka-El wrote:Awesome! Another hour of daylight starting tomorrow. :D

How about leaving it as it was and getting up an hour earlier.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

I am ok either way. I know how to set my watch and oven. :-)
I had a good sleep so I am prepared to jump in to the future... bring it on. It is the cheapest time travel available.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Jlabute wrote:I am ok either way. I know how to set my watch and oven. :-)
I had a good sleep so I am prepared to jump in to the future... bring it on. It is the cheapest time travel available.

The need to do DST has come & gone, so do away with it and join the smartest Province in Canada..... Saskatchewan
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

GordonH wrote: How about leaving it as it was and getting up an hour earlier.

Getting up an extra hour earlier doesn't give me an extra hour of sunlight after work, and since I'm more inclined to get in a round of golf after work than before it, I always welcome daylights savings time. In fact, if those who oppose the time change (it has never caused me any undue stress) want to change back to one time I hope they pick the summer settings.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

^^^ no stress with myself, DST is no longer needed. So get rid of it.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

I just refuse to change my clocks for it.
It's probably a good thing that they change themselves these days or I'd be either early or late for work 6 months a year.

I also think it's pointless and wish it was abolished.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

GordonH wrote: So get rid of it.

Like I say, it is a non issue to me either way. If folks want to get rid of it just keep the summer schedule please.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Even if I played golf, I could not in any way enjoy it after work, on a HOT summer day. Sooner get up and hit the links in the early morning when it's cool and the birds are singing. Get the fresh air and exercise in before work to energize and relax before the day's travail...
Chill
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Boating, waterskiing, hiking, hitting the beaches... all so much better after work than before.... I love DST
They say you can't believe everything they say.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

flamingfingers wrote:Even if I played golf, I could not in any way enjoy it after work, on a HOT summer day. Sooner get up and hit the links in the early morning when it's cool and the birds are singing. Get the fresh air and exercise in before work to energize and relax before the day's travail...

That works on Saturday. And you're right - it is a very special time of day to be out there.
Doesn't work before work though. I still like the long hours of daylight after I get off. :D
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

I don't really need the "extra hours" of daylight when the days are already at their longest but I'd be fine if we just stuck with DST all year round. Standard time all year would be fine with me too. Although, I get up very early all year round and it's amazing how early the sun comes up in the summer even with DST, I don't know how cool that would be if we stayed on standard time. Early morning is the best time of day but getting up before 4 AM to see the sunrise would be difficult.

I'm just not into this silly idea of changing clocks and disrupting natural rhythms. Actually, I hate clocks - we should throw them all out.

What was the old native saying again? ‘Only a white man would believe that you could cut a foot off the top of a blanket and sew it to the bottom of a blanket and have a longer blanket.’ I'm sure someone has posted that already and it's an eminently logical observation.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

flamingfingers wrote:Even if I played golf, I could not in any way enjoy it after work, on a HOT summer day. Sooner get up and hit the links in the early morning when it's cool and the birds are singing. Get the fresh air and exercise in before work to energize and relax before the day's travail...

If it's left on DST, people can still golf before work in the summer if they want to keep checking their watches ( which would happen either way a lot), or golf after work. I think most people prefer the sound of motorboats and motorbikes in the evening instead of the morning as well. Take away the time people can do that after work and they'll have to do it in the morning. Then the folks that complained about DST could complain about that, or how about mowing the lawn in the mornings?
Last edited by zzontar on Mar 14th, 2016, 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
They say you can't believe everything they say.

Return to “Grab Bag”