Preventable Accidents

A potpourri of off-topics.
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Preventable Accidents

Post by dogspoiler »

I have seen far to many people hurt in easily preventable accidents. I would like to help prevent some. Help me out a bit here, post your safety tips and experiences here. Repetition is fine, it will help get the point across. What some of us regard as common knowledge other people do not know.

We may be able to save someone a lot of needless suffering by simply sharing some of our knowledge.

This is appropriate for the season.

While cutting the lawn at home with a side bagging mower the operator stopped to empty the bag. The bag was very heavy and the operator reached under the bottom of it for a better grip. The blade removed the end of the operators finger.
A check of the mower revealed that it had a device to shut it off if the handle was released. This device had been deactivated so the mower would not have to be restarted after changing the bag.

Preventable accident
Black Dogs Matter
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: Preventable Accidents

Post by Glacier »

I saw some young people who were really drunk on the weekend. I saw a woman staggering down the street on 2 am. She fell over and knocked herself out on the sidewalk. Definitely preventable.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

The expensive accidents are caused by not practicing safe sex....

On a serious note, I was an industrial first aid attendant for over twenty five years in a sawmill, the number one thing I had to deal with was fishing stuff out of tradesmens eyeballs because they couldn't be bothered to wear eye protection when grinding or chipping welding slag. When at home while running a weed wacker or using a grinder to sharpen a lawnmower blade, please wear safety glasses with side shields or goggles..
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

A young lady was moving into a new home. She stood on a chair to put a large decorative bowl on a high shelf. She lost her balance and the bowl beat her to the floor, she landed in the broken glass.
The bowl was smashed
The floor was damaged
Stitches were required
The kids were terrified
The cleanup of blood and broken glass would be difficult

How many of us have not done something like that ?

Sometimes we should just stop and take a deep breath and think " What could possibly go wrong"
Black Dogs Matter
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

Yet another story about a dog being dragged behind a vehicle.

When I took my dog with me often, sometimes I would like him to be able to get out of the sun, he liked to be under the truck. It was simple to tie the rope to the drivers door handle. The dog was happy, cool and safe, and the truck was well guarded.
A interesting side note if you have a dog in the cab, never leave the vehicle without the keys. They can manage to lock the doors on you.
Black Dogs Matter
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

When I was a kid out dog jumped out of the back of the truck and hung himself. The rope longer than we thought. I was very sad.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

A retired couple were living in a very nice newer home that had a trap door in the laundry room that went down into a storage area.
The husband had taken down the Christmas decorations and was taking the boxes down for storage. While he was getting another box from the yard the wife walked into the laundry room and fell down the hole. She sustained a broken arm. It could have been far worse.

Have you ever wondered why they call them " Trap Doors " ?

Easily preventable with a little communication.
Black Dogs Matter
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

A fellow was using a weed eater around his home. His safety gear consisted of flip-flops and cutoffs, for eye protection he opted for squinting. The weed eater had no guard.
As his vision was a little limited he slipped and the line on the weed eater ate a nice patch of skin off his ankle about 5 centimeters around, right down to the healthy red meat.
Don't underestimate a weed eater, they can mess you up and throw rocks and debris that can cause injuries, chip paint jobs, and break windows at a considerable distance.
Black Dogs Matter
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

There was a construction worker laying on the ground with an obviously fractured leg.
There was a stepladder laying beside him.
He said " I've always wondered why it says Do Not Step on the top of the stepladders "
Preventable.
Black Dogs Matter
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

Years ago I happened by a terrible accident.
Grandpa, Grandma, and Grand daughter were holidaying.
They were in a pickup with camper, towing a boat.
Grandpa and Grandma were in the cab, eleven year old Grand daughter was in the camper.
For reasons unknown the Grand daughter went out the back door of the camper onto the road and was killed by the boat trailer.
The Grand parents did not notice and carried on to their destination.
This incident was preventable.
Black Dogs Matter
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

dogspoiler wrote:There was a construction worker laying on the ground with an obviously fractured leg.
He said " I've always wondered why it says Do Not Step on the top of the stepladders "
Preventable.

If they didn't want us to use the top of the step ladder why do they make them just the right height so that you can only reach the top by stepping on the top wrung? If they truly didn't want us to use the top step, they'd have made step ladders just one step taller.
- Douglas Murray
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

If you have to go higher, you are supposed to set the ladder up on chairs.

I should point out that I am just kidding. You never know.
Black Dogs Matter
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

No need to use the top step afterall...

- Douglas Murray
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

dogspoiler wrote:There was a construction worker laying on the ground with an obviously fractured leg.
Preventable.

Years ago a had to do first aid on a millwright that was eight feet up a twelve foot wooden stepladder when the ladder broke..afterwards while doing the accident investigation I discovered the ladder had a 250 lb weight restriction, the millwright weighed 318 lbs, he was wearing a 20 lb tool pouch and had a 100 lb steel shaft hoisted over one shoulder..
Preventable.
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

Glacier wrote:No need to use the top step afterall...

LOL! What could possibly go wrong?
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."

Return to “Grab Bag”