Goin' on a road trip, WHOOO!

A potpourri of off-topics.
motorhomebabe
Lord of the Board

Re: Goin' on a road trip, WHOOO!

Post by motorhomebabe »

Tour Gas Town or China town. The list is endless .
Kelowna_Born
Fledgling

Post by Kelowna_Born »

You could always travel with me in my rental car Kelowna to Vancouver. Fastest as possible 170 km/h average don't drop under 140 km/h until stinky *bleep* Chilliwack. I always try and get to Terminal Ave in about 3:20 just can't get there in 3 hours flat lol.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Kelowna_Born wrote:You could always travel with me in my rental car Kelowna to Vancouver. Fastest as possible 170 km/h average don't drop under 140 km/h until stinky *bleep* Chilliwack. I always try and get to Terminal Ave in about 3:20 just can't get there in 3 hours flat lol.

It sure is a lot quicker now that they have the south perimeter road. You could easily do under 3 hours from Kamloops to the ferry terminal.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

boxman180 wrote:Which is the most fun route to drive, to Vancouver from Kelowna? We're leaving June 29th. I've lived here for 3 years and haven't been there yet. Also what are the best things to do in Vancouver that isn't too expensive(ie $20-30 per person). We might want to rent a boat as well. Thanks for your replies!

Define "fun" route. If you want tourism value, take 97 through Merritt, then drive through town until you hit hwy 8, then south on hwy 1. You'll go through Spences Bridge, although the bridge is now closed. Stop in at Hell's Gate and take the tram. When you hit Hope, you can head back up Hwy 5 for a bit and check out the Othello Tunnels. Heading west again, Bridal Veil Falls for a quick little hike and photo-op. Hit Hwy 1 again, and then head north on Hwy 9 to cross the river. West on Hwy 7 will not only take you for a scenic drive on the Lougheed, but you can stop in at Harrison Mills and check out the little museum there. Head back west on the Lougheed again. You could always veer off at Harrison Hot Springs - there isn't much to actually see there unless you're going to spend a night and go for a soak in the pool. After Mission, you can head north on 287th to check out the Ruskin Dam. It's a neat little tour as well. From there, you're about 40 minutes from the Ikea in Coquitlam.

Once you're there (well, here), there's a ton to do. Burnaby Village Museum is neat, and cheap (free). If you want to park-and-ride, I'd park at New West station and grab the skytrain from there. There's zero day parking at Lougheed Mall. The River Market (New Westminster Quay) has some neat little shops. There's a dinner river cruise available there - I'd pre-book, it's often full. If you're doing transit anywhere, buy a day pass. I think it's $8.75 for an adult three-zone fare. That will get you on anything operated by Translink for the day.

You can skytrain right down to the waterfront, and either wander around downtown or take the Seabus over to the Lonsdale Quay on the north shore. If you wander around downtown, Gastown is right around the corner from waterfront station.

The Telus Science Center is nifty (Main Street station). Grandville Island Market is something else you should check out - you'll need to take a bus. You can also pay a private passenger ferry to take you from anywhere along false creek (ie. the science center). Stanley park is definitely a beautiful place to be on a sunny day. The aquarium is there. There's a horse-drawn tour that I'd recommend.

The Maritime museum at Hadden Park is also interesting. Again - private passenger ferry, if you're around the false creek area.

That's enough to keep you busy for a few days. How long are you staying? How far do you want to venture? I can feed you plenty more good ideas.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.

Return to “Grab Bag”