Strange wasp nest in back of house

A potpourri of off-topics.
Baulde

Strange wasp nest in back of house

Post by Baulde »

Found this nest on the back of the house. Never seen one like it here before. Normally its just the honey comb type structures or the grey bulb shape.

oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Re: Strange wasp nest in back of house

Post by oneh2obabe »

Wasp nests come in a variety of shapes, sizes and designs. Bottom line - stay away from the buggers.

This works wonders getting rid of them. Spray early in the morning or late evening.
ImageImage
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Baulde

Post by Baulde »

I have been bit much more than a few times, mostly from running into a nest I did not see. Once found they are removed in short order. Just thought this one was odd, and should be an interesting removal, cannot just spray the nest since they are protected inside.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Oh yes you can - it's a foam and you cover the whole nest. I used 2 cans just to make sure.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Baulde

Post by Baulde »

I usually use a spray to coat em. This seems much more protected. I was out getting a few smaller ones today but ran out of spray.

If the spray does not work ill spray it and cover it with a garbage bag and pull it off with welding gloves.

Should work out. If I get bit... ill survive :)
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

bees-wasps-hornets-be-like.jpg
I haven't failed until I quit.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

We had a nest behind our eaves ;ast year that we had to call a pest control company to get rid of. It was a couple of feet across and no way I was messing with it!
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

We have some very large Russian Sage that are in full flower right now and just crawling with honey bees. The same thing has been going on for at least the last ten years and to my knowledge no one has ever been stung by them.

We also have mud wasps that make a small individual nest around a bug that they "put to sleep" and deposit one of their eggs into. The newly hatched mud wasp lives on the bug until large enough to break free.

One thing wasps seem to do is keep horse flies out of the area. If you have horse flies you know you have few wasps.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

We also have mud wasps that make a small individual nest around a bug that they "put to sleep" and deposit one of their eggs into. The newly hatched mud wasp lives on the bug until large enough to break free.

Straight out of "alien". Creepy as hell.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
SmokeOnTheWater
Walks on Forum Water

Post by SmokeOnTheWater »

Baulde wrote:Found this nest on the back of the house. Never seen one like it here before. Normally its just the honey comb type structures or the grey bulb shape.

What a beautiful nature's ( wasps ) work of art .. thanks for sharing.
" Nature is not a place to visit. It is home. " ~ Gary Snyder
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

What it actually looks like is a bunch of mud wasp nests piled one on top of the other. Even to many of them having the small hole at the apex waiting for the egg to be inserted.

By any chance did the "wasps" have notably longer back legs than regular wasps ... as in almost twice as long ?? Were there bugs inside any of the little mini nests ?? I have never seen "multiple mud wasp abodes" bit who knows what nature can come up with ??
Baulde

Post by Baulde »

Donald G wrote:What it actually looks like is a bunch of mud wasp nests piled one on top of the other. Even to many of them having the small hole at the apex waiting for the egg to be inserted.

By any chance did the "wasps" have notably longer back legs than regular wasps ... as in almost twice as long ?? Were there bugs inside any of the little mini nests ?? I have never seen "multiple mud wasp abodes" bit who knows what nature can come up with ??

Did not notice long back legs. Although there are wasps like that in the area. Did not see a single bug inside any of the little pockets on the outside, they were going in and out of the large ball through a few entrances on the bottom and around the top. Sounded like there were a bunch of them inside, was quite a lot of buzzing going on with very few visible.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Any time I have found a paper wasps nest in a hazzardous location I have used that Hornet and Wasp Killer that comes in a pressurived can and sprays out in one steady stream rather than a mist. I found that spraying the entremce/exit hole with about a ten second burst kills everything coming and going so eliminates the whole colony, larvae and eggs. Since you can spray it from about 10 to 12 feet away you have little chance of being stung. Death is almost instant when they come in contact with the liquid spray.

Like a miniature skeet shoot.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Does anyone know anything that feeds on wasps or hornets that could be harmed by any PCP product as noted above ??

Return to “Grab Bag”