Advice on running central air in cooler temps...

A potpourri of off-topics.
binky11
Grand Pooh-bah

Advice on running central air in cooler temps...

Post by binky11 »

I now have the enjoyment of central air. My question is, is it ok to run it at 22 degrees when it is cooler outside, like 15 degrees?
I am extremely sensitive to the heat and need it much cooler than the average person due to health issues. Also am wanting to try to avoid having the windows open in this smokey weather. I know there is a fine line with running your central air when the temperature outside is on the cool side. I have mine set at about 23 degrees, but I know tonight's overnight low will be about 16 degrees. I did this last night, the air didn't kick in much at all, maybe once every two hours. Starting tomorrow night our overnight low is to be even cooler, like 12 degrees. Who runs their air when it's that cool eh? Me! But will it hurt my unit?
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Advice on running central air in cooler temps...

Post by vegas1500 »

binky11 wrote:I now have the enjoyment of central air. My question is, is it ok to run it at 22 degrees when it is cooler outside, like 15 degrees?
I am extremely sensitive to the heat and need it much cooler than the average person due to health issues. Also am wanting to try to avoid having the windows open in this smokey weather. I know there is a fine line with running your central air when the temperature outside is on the cool side. I have mine set at about 23 degrees, but I know tonight's overnight low will be about 16 degrees. I did this last night, the air didn't kick in much at all, maybe once every two hours. Starting tomorrow night our overnight low is to be even cooler, like 12 degrees. Who runs their air when it's that cool eh? Me! But will it hurt my unit?

It won't hurt your unit but most likely won't kick in if its 12 outside and it's set at 23....
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

binky11 wrote:I now have the enjoyment of central air. My question is, is it ok to run it at 22 degrees when it is cooler outside, like 15 degrees?

Mine runs automatically every few hours. For the most part, it just cycles the air, and it doesn't heat it or cool it. When it's too cold or too hot inside, we'll turn on the heat or AC on, but most of the time it does nothing but pushes air around.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
binky11
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by binky11 »

Well I have the choice of heat or air. Then auto or on. On option it will run all the time, well the fan runs continually, and only blows cold air when it gets below the temp it is set at. On auto the fan alone will never run, blowing just air, thus saving on the bill. When I do have the temp set at 22, and it is say 15 degrees outside, it will kick in about once an hour for a short time. Just perfect for right now while trying to avoid the smokey sky's. I just thought I had heard that you shouldn't have your air temperature set to a higher temp than it is outside, thought it wasn't good for the unit. Hopefully I thought wrong, for the first time this summer I am comfortable in every room! Thanks for the input guys :)
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

If it gets too cold outside it may not be a good idea. You might want to check with an A/C company to be sure.
http://www.ehow.com/info_8791956_air-co ... tside.html
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

Seems a bit silly to run your ac when it is cool outside, why not just open a window, but it wont hurt the AC unless it is below or close to freezing outside. Running just the fan is a good way to filter the air to remove pollen or smoke.

Is the AC a heat pump or an older style?
We're lost but we're making good time.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

binky11 wrote:Well I have the choice of heat or air. Then auto or on.

I have three options:

Auto/OFF - cycling air
AC - cooling to a certain temperature
Heat - heating to a certain temperature

Auto/OFF is the option that we have most of the time. It doesn't waste electricity, it simply cycles the air every now and then.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.

Return to “Grab Bag”