Shopping for Bodyshape

A potpourri of off-topics.
guardian74

Shopping for Bodyshape

Post by guardian74 »

Good Morning,
I am doing some research. As we are all not created equal in terms of not only size but shape how many people would like to have both their body shape identified and like to shop (online or at retail outlets) based on your specific shape the is governed by genetics.

Most store are generic and cater to specific trends. It can be hard to identify and finds designs that flatter certain shapes and I am trying to identify if there is a need for this kind of focus.

Any feedback/comments are welcome to help shed some light on individuals needs.

Thanks
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Re: Shopping for Bodyshape

Post by whatwhat »

I personally believe that no matter what body shape you have (apple, pear, ruler or whatever) that you should be able to wear whatever you want. Yes some cuts of clothing may look better on one shape then another, but people should be able to wear whatever trend of clothing they enjoy. If an apple shape feels great in a crop top, they should be able to rock it! If a pear wants to wear a form fitting skirt to show off their hips, they should be able to work it! I think companies telling people what they should and should not wear by their body shape will cause a lot of problems.

I know what styles I enjoy most on my body shape. So I tend to go towards those styles and designs. I don't need some company making me feel bad about my body and what I want to wear by telling me my body shape won't work for what I want to buy.

I personally would like to see a more universal sizing within clothing companies. I shouldn't be a size 2 in one brand and a size 10 in another.
hail Satan y'all
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I think what the OP is getting at is identifying features for clothing to enhance the shopping experience. Some stores' apparel just don't fit me at all so I avoid them. Too big in the waist or too short waisted. It's like having petit, average, tall and plus sizes. Take it to the next level and make trying on clothes simpler.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
guardian74

Post by guardian74 »

Exactly. It would not be forcing someone to admit they are a certain shape. It is helping those people who are stuck leaning toward styles they are familiar with that they are no longer happy with wearing and don't know what they should be looking for as an alternative. Our shapes are subject to change, our sizes change and it can be quite difficult to find clothes that work. This is not about telling people what they can't wear, it's about helping people locate clothes that they are seeking but can't find or don't know what would best help give them what they are looking for, like accentuate their waist or downplay their wide shoulders. From my research I have not been able to locate any personal shopper services available in the Kelowna area. Personally I would love to shop with someone who looks and me and says here try this, I know it looks weird on the rack but it would make your legs look long or hips look fuller. Or tell me I am an apple or a pear and I could go to the pear section and try on clothes and feel like I am closer to finding something than shooting in the dark grabbing stuff that looks terrible when I put it on and wastes a lot of time.

The person would have all the choice they want, the clothing would just be laid out and grouped for specific looks or effects that the buyer might be looking for. And some guidance on what to look for to achieve certain effects.
Sige
Übergod

Post by Sige »

OMG I need this.
Non illegitimi carborundum est.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

I'm a woman, but clothes shopping is an absolute nightmare. Once I find a top or pants that fit my proportions I buy it in every colour because it's a freaking unicorn in the clothing world.

Consistency in sizing is a big issue. To quote an Internet favourite of mine "why am I size mouse at Gap and size walrus at H&M". That said, store like Gap/Old Navy do a good job are putting out short/regular/long lengths. It's helped greatly in dressing for my shape, not just clothing size.

Return to “Grab Bag”