Pulling your child from French Immersion

A potpourri of off-topics.
WeatherWoman
Wicked Witch of the West Coast

Pulling your child from French Immersion

Post by WeatherWoman »

Our grade three student is struggling at school. We are contemplating moving her from FI to English stream.

If you have pulled your child from FI please share the pros and cons?
"It takes a village to raise a fool." ~ Dan Mangan
just popping in
Lord of the Board

Re: Pulling your child from French Immersion

Post by just popping in »

IMO. Hang in until end of Grade 3. Ask what curriculum is for Grade 4, if there is more English keep them in F.I.
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

It would be worth meeting with the principal of the school as they would know when the best time to pull a child out of French immersion is, and from what I can remember (my daughter attended FI) grade 3 is a pivotal year with regards to the introduction to English. Good luck with whatever you decide!
WeatherWoman

Post by WeatherWoman »

Thanks everyone. We would wait until grade 4 for a switch. The school is holding both spot for her and we have until the June to decide.

They had a special meeting this week. They are recommending that she stays in FI as she speaks it fluently. They won't test for a LD until she has more English education which happens in grade 4.

We are aware that there is less supports for LD in FI.
We also do not speak French and could better support her learning if it was in English.
If she moves into English she is moving away from the children she has known for the past 4 years and longer. But they are at the same school.
If we move her English she still could do late Immersion starting in grade 6.
The English stream schools are all in our neighbourhood and they offer a focus on arts. FI mean taking the city bus to school 6km away and that stream is more sport orientated. (she is arty)
She does go back and forth whether or not she wants to move to English.
just popping in
Lord of the Board

Post by just popping in »

I raised two girls in F.I. program and I have no background in French. I know Grade 3, one of them spent more time in the hallway than in the classroom.... I think it is a tough year.

She speaks French fluently that is super, the rest of it will come, my concern being behind in the English curriculum now and trying to fit in with new friends, she must have neighbour friends she knows.

A lot of decisions. Glad they aren't mine to make :) good luck.
WeatherWoman

Post by WeatherWoman »

just popping in wrote:I raised two girls in F.I. program and I have no background in French. I know Grade 3, one of them spent more time in the hallway than in the classroom.... I think it is a tough year.

She speaks French fluently that is super, the rest of it will come, my concern being behind in the English curriculum now and trying to fit in with new friends, she must have neighbour friends she knows.

A lot of decisions. Glad they aren't mine to make :) good luck.

It's definitely a hard decision.

Return to “Grab Bag”