Love, Northern style

A potpourri of off-topics.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Love, Northern style

Post by oneh2obabe »

Yellowknife husband drives 1,400 km to pick up KFC meal for wife. Mike and Angela Hovak Johnston began a KFC tradition at their wedding 15 years ago in Kugluktuk

By Juanita Taylor, CBC News
Posted: Apr 23, 2016 7:00 AM CT
Updated: Apr 23, 2016 5:54 PM CT

Most couples have a tradition when celebrating wedding anniversaries — a favourite restaurant, the exchange of gifts, or a return to a sentimental site.

For Mike and Angela Hovak Johnston of Yellowknife, it's dining on Kentucky Fried Chicken.

The Kentucky Fried tradition began at the couple's wedding reception in Kugluktuk, Nunavut, 15 years ago. It began as a compromise — an olive branch from wife Angela to husband Mike in exchange for dropping another odd wedding request.

Mike's idea? To get married at the talent show during the Nattiq Frolics, Kugluktuk's annual spring carnival.

"I figured we'd win first place," he said. "Me, and my wife, and the Justice of the Peace go up, and we'd get married."

The first-place prize, the couple remembers, was plane tickets — and the entire community would be at the event. A lot of people in attendance and a free trip sounded like a win-win situation for Mike.

But Angela said she wasn't going to have a talent show for a wedding. Instead: "I let him have his KFC.

Full article w/pictures
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/yel ... -1.3547659
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Return to “Grab Bag”