Wild Asparagus

A potpourri of off-topics.
levigames

Wild Asparagus

Post by levigames »

Many Okanagan locals have enjoyed harvesting wild asparagus for many years. It is a great way to get some exercise while gathering one of our many benefits of living in the Okanagan.

Lately, if have witnesses a couple of people who come into the areas 3-4 times per week. The pick 1 - 2 Glad garbage bags full each visit. This to me is plain GLUTTONY.

While most simply harvest what they will eat in the next meal or two these choose to overindulge. These asparagus have been growing wild for decades. They self seed and will reproduce for the next generations if you simply pick what you can use.

Think of the future people. The same people only harvest the tops of mature asparagus knowing the stem is too tough. Allow them to seed and replenish.

What seems common sense to most isn't to some. Food for though......so to speak!!
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Wild Asparagus

Post by Dizzy1 »

This isn't asparagus ...

This is asparagus ...

That is all.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

Where can find some wild asparagus? Would love to have some this summer!

levigames wrote:Many Okanagan locals have enjoyed harvesting wild asparagus for many years. It is a great way to get some exercise while gathering one of our many benefits of living in the Okanagan.

Lately, if have witnesses a couple of people who come into the areas 3-4 times per week. The pick 1 - 2 Glad garbage bags full each visit. This to me is plain GLUTTONY.

While most simply harvest what they will eat in the next meal or two these choose to overindulge. These asparagus have been growing wild for decades. They self seed and will reproduce for the next generations if you simply pick what you can use.

Think of the future people. The same people only harvest the tops of mature asparagus knowing the stem is too tough. Allow them to seed and replenish.

What seems common sense to most isn't to some. Food for though......so to speak!!
levigames

Post by levigames »

I would love to let you know. There is typically plenty for everyone at multiple locations around Vernon too. But since there seems to be people like the ones I originally referenced, I would rather not, especially on a public forum.

Unfortunately one pig at the trough ruins it for anyone and everyone.

I am fairly sure if you have lived in or around Vernon and ask your friends/neighbours/coworkers they would be more than willing to share their secret "gardens" with you. But please respect the harvesting, and take what you will use in the next few days. If you would like to enjoy more by all means return.

At any of the locations you can easily pick enough for a family of 4 meal (as a vegetable side) in 15-30 mins. This is being respectful of not picking immature or over mature stems. And they are WAY better tasting than the grocery store stock. YUMMM.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

We used to enjoy wild asparagus every spring. We'd hike the perimeter of my grandparent's acreage and easily pick a pound or 2 for dinner.

That all ended when we got new neighbors. As soon as they discovered - they'd be out there every evening and pick the place dry. After a couple of years of this, they consistently picked all shoots to the point where the plants were unable to seed and were gone completely. Darn frustrating - it had been a good thing for 25+ years until they came along.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

We have a few spots that we lightly harvest and the bounty grows each year. Sorry but would never think of giving away the location because I know how people are. Really sorry to hear your location was discovered by a glutton, definately frustrating.

We do the same with the different types of wild berries, we pick a little for us but leave the vast majority for the furry woodland creatures that count on them.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I discovered a spot 4 years ago, and it was good for the first two years. The last two have been a failure. Every time I've checked the places were picked clean.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Levigames,
Did you say anything to the couple that ruined it for everyone else? Think I'd have a hard time shutting my mouth and without a doubt they'd know exactly what my wife would think in no uncertain terms.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
levigames

Post by levigames »

Yes, I did say something.

It was difficult to restrain myself but I knew to ask politely would be my only hope at a beneficial outcome. Unfortunately this "type" of person does not realize any wrongdoing on their part. There response, in a nut shell, "who am I the asparagus police"?

While I believe most of us realize the common courtesy and responsibility we are speaking about here....there are always a few who either don't care, do not realize their fault, or just somehow never learned good social manners. I'd imagine it is the same type of person who would drive passed a broken down motorist during a blizzard in the middle of the night without thought or care.

I truly cannot nderstand this thinking but am grateful to realize I am not one myself. If that leaves me short sometimes I'd prefer to be short than ignorant.

Return to “Grab Bag”