Pay It Forward

A potpourri of off-topics.
Noisy Boater
Übergod

Pay It Forward

Post by Noisy Boater »

The wife and I had a pay it forward moment today. With all the recent bad news with the Ft Mac fire and numerous other depressing news it was a good day for us. We were waiting in the advance left turn signal from Harvey onto Spall we were the first car in line. A vehicle turning left from Spall onto Harvey lost an object which fell onto the road. I had time so I jumped out and grabbed a 10 kilo package of Squid Tubes. I assume they are used for stuffing with yummy ingredients at a restaraunt. I used my CSI detective brain and we drove to the seafood shop in the stripmall near Choices. I went in explained what happened and the staff in the store chuckled said in fact it was being delivered . The staff gave me a 1lb bag of large black tiger prawns for our efforts. Surf n turf next weekend. !!!! Pay it forward. I am all for it.
Did You Have A Big Bowl Of Stupid For Breakfast ? I Have 8 Billion Gazillion Likes.
bumblebuns
Fledgling

Re: Pay It Forward

Post by bumblebuns »

Nice story! Wish there were more good news stories. Maybe there are, but we just don't hear about them. Sensationalism and negativity sell, good news doesn't, as evidenced by the number of replies to this first post.
Bumblebuns
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

I'm just thinkin that 10 kilos of squid tubes are more valuable than a half kilo of prawns.
Mmm. Squid with ink sauce.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

So much for the great impression I've made huh.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Maybe it isn't quite called paying it forward until you give your prawns to bman;-)
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
zookeeper
Walks on Forum Water

Post by zookeeper »

Bman wrote:So much for the great impression I've made huh.

:D
forum
Guru

Post by forum »

I apologize because what I'm about to write is going to make me sound like a jerk. But...

Pay it Forward.
I don't know why Pay it Forward bothers me so much...! Is it the lack of modesty and humility and the need for recognition?

It seems that when someone says "Pay it Forward" they are simply bragging that they've done something nice.

"Look what I did everyone! I'm so nice, so recognise me! Praise me!" Notice me and what I'm doing everyone!

Why not just do the right thing, and carry on. Why the need to announce it?
SmokeOnTheWater
Walks on Forum Water

Post by SmokeOnTheWater »

Technically the " pay it forward " would have been if the staff gave a 1lb bag of large black tiger prawns to the next person in line at the checkout counter. Me perhaps ? :D
" Nature is not a place to visit. It is home. " ~ Gary Snyder
perspicacious
Board Meister

Post by perspicacious »

I think lots of people do this with no recognition every day... A friend recently paid for the order of a strangers meal in the drive thru as the person behind just because they felt like it. They do this all of the time.

I agree with forum on the not needing to brag about it. It's not the purpose of the whole 'pay it forward' movement.

That fish monger shop is awesome! The staff and owner are always so helpful and great. I'm in there at least once a week.
Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Doing good things is a good thing. What boater did was well outside the realm of what many would do so I applaud him for taking time out of his life to do the deed. Why not share it? It made me smile. Especially the shrimp part.

I Like to help folk out when I can in grocery stores. I will offer up the difference when they are seeming to have difficulty coming up with the full amount. I also use this as a way to shame those who have no consideration for the ever growing line up as they argue over the difference between the .69 cent can of mushrooms that came up at .89 by giving the difference to the cashier so we can all get on with our lives.

I guess that's sort of paying it forward at least to the people in line. :biggrin:
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
metallica
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by metallica »

Our family pays it forward by helping our local volunteer Food Bank the Lake Country Food Bank. We don't need thanks but we get it in so many ways.. We don't judge we are there to help others less fortunate as our son was. It is such an amazing thing to see people who leave with a smile on their face and know we helped. Pay it Forward when you can.

Return to “Grab Bag”