Plane

A potpourri of off-topics.
Frisk
Guru

Plane

Post by Frisk »

Did anyone else just see that big passenger jet do a couple loops above the lake? It was flying really low. I've never seen that before in my life.
Frisk
Guru

Re: Plane

Post by Frisk »

Maybe I'm just seeing things lol. that was pretty cool though
TJ33

Post by TJ33 »

I didn't see it myself but I have it on pretty good authority from a colleague that did that it was a C-17 Globemaster military transport aircraft.

http://www.rcaf-arc.forces.gc.ca/en/aircraft-current/cc-177.page
looking4one
Übergod

Post by looking4one »

It happens every year and several times from Spring through Summer. What a great site to see. Just like when the Snowbirds stop by and snow their stuff before July 1st. Nothing to worry about, enjoy the show.
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. Albert Einstein
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

KF Aero also does some training on the B727 - not much now that they lose Purolator but I think they have a couple flying.
looking4one
Übergod

Post by looking4one »

Purolator planes are white, not grey.

Hey Frisk....did the plane you saw have prop or jet engines?
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. Albert Einstein
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

looking4one wrote:Purolator planes are white, not grey.

Hey Frisk....did the plane you saw have prop or jet engines?

I didn't say it was a Purolator plane. They don't have any. KF had painted their planes in Purolator colours because PCL was their customer.

Now that it is finished I believe they are painted with the KF Aero logo on them. or Parked
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

I couldn't tell from where I'm at. It just looked really big so I thought it was a passenger jet. haha
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

TJ33 wrote:I didn't see it myself but I have it on pretty good authority from a colleague that did that it was a C-17 Globemaster military transport aircraft.

http://www.rcaf-arc.forces.gc.ca/en/aircraft-current/cc-177.page

Yup, that looks right. Big and grey with 4 jet engines. It caught my eye because it was climbing as it flew North-ish over my neighbourhood, planes flying that direction near my house are almost always descending into the airport.
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

It was a C17. It did a touch and go or maybe just a low and over at Penticton today as well. Could not see the actual airport runway from where I was but it was a C17 for sure. One of the best purchases the Canadian Armed Forces has ever made. Last week there was a Hercules that flew over Penticton. It was one of the new ones. Also a great purchase.

http://www.rcaf-arc.forces.gc.ca/en/air ... -130j.page
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
rookie314
Übergod

Post by rookie314 »

And the Chinooks as well. Purchased by? You guessed it, thanks Mr Harper for trying to give those who go in harms way the best.
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

We were at the Abbottsford airshow when the official "handing over the keys " ceremony was done. It does seem to be a very capable aircraft.
Black Dogs Matter
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

JagXKR wrote:It was a C17. It did a touch and go or maybe just a low and over at Penticton today as well. Could not see the actual airport runway from where I was but it was a C17 for sure. One of the best purchases the Canadian Armed Forces has ever made. Last week there was a Hercules that flew over Penticton. It was one of the new ones. Also a great purchase.

http://www.rcaf-arc.forces.gc.ca/en/air ... -130j.page

They appear to call them CC-177 in Canada for some reason. I guess like the Americans have F-18 and we call them CF-18; I dunno. http://www.rcaf-arc.forces.gc.ca/en/air ... c-177.page
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

You are correct. They are basically the same plane and Canada does like to give their planes a slightly different designation. The range is almost enough to get from Kandahar to Trenton (5855 Nm), just beyond the 5500 stated by the Air Force. One stop in Germany (maybe?) or inflight refueling would be the norm.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
TLJ33

Post by TLJ33 »

JagXKR wrote:You are correct. They are basically the same plane and Canada does like to give their planes a slightly different designation.

Actually, they are not "basically" the same, they are in fact identically the same. The RCAF fleet of C-17's (designated CC-177 in Canada) is identical to the USAF fleet of C-17's. The fact that the C-17 is officially called the CC-177 in Canada has nothing at all to do with being somewhat different than it's USAF (or RAF or RAAF) counterparts, it's simply a different numbering system.

The Canadian Forces (now RCAF again finally) aircraft numbering system mandates that all aircraft follow the same numbering convention; namely C"L"-"NNN".
The first letter is always "C" meaning Canada of course.
The second letter defines the primary role or mission of the aircraft.
C= Cargo or Transport,
E= Electronic Warfare,
F= Fighter,
H= Helicopter,
P= Patrol,
T= Trainer,
U= Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) and
X=Experimental

These two alpha characters are followed by a three digit number that begins at 100. When an aircraft enters RCAF service quite often the actual aircraft model number or US designation number are retained but if not already a three digit number they are converted to a three digit number. This is why the F-18 became the CF-188 and the C-17 became the CC-177. If the US designation is already three digits then it is often adopted as is which is why the F-101 Voodoo became the CF-101 Voodoo and the F-104 Starfighter became the CF-104 Starfighter. Some aircraft such as the F-5 Freedom Fighter could not be converted to a similar Canadianized number so it became the CF-116 Freedom Fighter although for its entire RCAF/CF service it was routinely referred to as the "F-5".

Return to “Grab Bag”